Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Help me claify PA gun laws

I'm moving this summer from gun-hating MA to Pittsburgh and would like to clarify certain gun laws in PA.

Are there any specific requirements for storing guns (loaded or unloaded) in your home? In MA, if it's "not under your direct control" it must be locked up.

Are there any transportation requirements? In MA, if it's not "concealed and "under your direct control" then it must be unloaded and in a locked case. Can you transport a loaded handgun in a glove compartment or in a center console? Can it be holstered on the steering column, etc?

Other than schools, federal property and international airports are there any other locations in PA (Pittsburgh, in particular) that _prohibit_ concealed carry by a law, not just a policy?

Any other similar information would be appreciated!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Help me claify PA gun laws

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=7582

^^ Read these? Good start...

Are there any specific requirements for storing guns (loaded or unloaded) in your home? In MA, if it's "not under your direct control" it must be locked up. NO

Are there any transportation requirements? In MA, if it's not "concealed and "under your direct control" then it must be unloaded and in a locked case. TRUE...IF NO LTCF, AND ENGAGED INLEGAL REASON TO TRANSPORT.

Can you transport a loaded handgun in a glove compartment or in a center console? Can it be holstered on the steering column, etc? YES...IF YOU HAVE A LTCF

FEDERAL LAW MUST BE FOLLOWED IN ANY STATE.

Congrats on your escape!! :-) Stand by for Pitt responses

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by larry44 View Post
    I'm moving this summer from gun-hating MA to Pittsburgh and would like to clarify certain gun laws in PA.

Are there any specific requirements for storing guns (loaded or unloaded) in your home? In MA, if it's "not under your direct control" it must be locked up.

Are there any transportation requirements? In MA, if it's not "concealed and "under your direct control" then it must be unloaded and in a locked case. Can you transport a loaded handgun in a glove compartment or in a center console? Can it be holstered on the steering column, etc?

Other than schools, federal property and international airports are there any other locations in PA (Pittsburgh, in particular) that _prohibit_ concealed carry by a law, not just a policy?

Any other similar information would be appreciated!
    #1 no

#2 Without a LTCF there are strict laws on when a where you can carry/ transport a firearm. Read the stickys.

#3 Add Jails and buildings having court facilities. Note: Airports. You can carry in the general unsecured areas of an Airport but not beyond the security checkpoint. You cannot carry a firearm or ammo in carry on luggage it must be in checked luggage, declared, stored unloaded and securely locked.

ADD: You can't carry during a state of emergency unless you have your LTCF.
    You can't carry in Philly at all without a LTCF.

Hint: Get your LTCF ASAP! You can Open Carry without a LTCF but you are extremely limited in transporting without a LTCF. Having a loaded firearm in your car is considered concealed.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    #1 no

#2 Without a LTCF there are strict laws on when a where you can carry/ transport a firearm. Read the stickys.

#3 Add Jails and buildings having court facilities. Note: Airports. You can carry in the general unsecured areas of an Airport but not beyond the security checkpoint. You cannot carry a firearm or ammo in carry on luggage it must be in checked luggage, declared, stored unloaded and securely locked.

ADD: You can't carry during a state of emergency unless you have your LTCF.
    You can't carry in Philly at all without a LTCF.

Hint: Get your LTCF ASAP! You can Open Carry without a LTCF but you are extremely limited in transporting without a LTCF.
    Having a loaded firearm in your car is considered concealed.
    No. Nein. Nyet. Negative. Nuh uh.

Having a loaded firearm in your car is considered having a loaded firearm in your car - they are separately defined in the statutes. A PA resident must have a PA LTCF to conceal *OR* carry in a car in PA, but being in a car does *NOT* automatically equate to 'concealed'.

Welcome to the OP.

(Northampton County)

Thank you Sgt. K

That whole "considered concealed" crap is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

(Northampton County)

It's absolutely awful. Consider Ohio.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by larry44 View Post
    How you keep them in your home, or on your front porch, or in your car is up to you. Many people here use those free cable gun locks that the police hand out for tool boxes, garage doors, bicycle locks, etc.

In or on a vehicle, it can be wherever you want to put it, in the glove compartment, in a center console, taped to the ceiling, wherever. For a handgun, loaded or unloaded doesn't matter. If a shotgun or rifle, however, it must be unloaded and the ammunition stored in a separate container (for which a glove box or console compartment counts). For vehicle carry, however, you must possess an LTCF.

For K-12 schools, you might as well consider them off-limits. For federal property (your words), only federal buildings where federal workers are present count, or military facilities. Pittsburgh International Airport is okay up to the security checkpoints - open or concealed carry. The only Pennsylvania locations where carry is prohibited by law are K-12 schools (maybe) and court facilities.

As soon as you get settled, turn in your Massachusetts driver's license for a Pennsylvania one. Then pay a visit to the Allegheny County Court House, plop down your twenty bucks, fill out a one-page application, and wait for your license. Yes, it's that easy. No blood test, no fingerprints, no sworn affidavits by five unrelated people, no training, no testing, no medical records.

(Northampton County)

Don't encourage him. Ohio is much better and a short commute.

(Allegheny County)

Excellent replies to my questions...thank you, all! That's jus the information I was looking for!

I already have my PA LTCF (got it as a non-resident but I believe the permits are actually the same). I learned that after getting my PA driver's license I just have to mail a copy of it, a copy of my LTCF and a check for $5 to the Centre County Sheriff's office and they'll send me a new permit with my PA address. Then when it expires in '19 I renew it in Allegheny County. And Bang...thanks for that very informative link!

(Northampton County)

He was too clever for my reindeer games.

Congratulations. We have another voter than wants gun licensing, fencing around pools, and ordinances banning the farm equipment in your yard. I'm sure he also has a lot of ideas for how your kids' school should be run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast