Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 380 of 442 FirstFirst ... 280330370376377378379380381382383384390430 ... LastLast
Results 3,791 to 3,800 of 4414
    (Lycoming County)

Default Re: If you've signed up, say hi here.

Quote Originally Posted by booostalotopuss View Post
    Billy, welcome to the sight. Everything I've heard about the R1 seems good, but there is a learning curve to carrying a 1911 platform. I would highly recommend some training and practice with it, especially if it's the first gun you have owned/carried. Definitely pick up some ammo and shoot the hell out of it to test it out before relying on it as a carry gun. If it were mine I'd run a couple hundred target loads and a couple hundred rounds of whatever your carry ammo is going to be through it first to be sure it is reliable. With any 1911 sometimes there can be issues with feeding hollow points or certain other rounds and a malfunction when you need the gun isn't something you really want.

I see what your sayin , about the hollows . But right now I'll just use the round nose ones for now. I want to go shooting but , need to find a place to go. Plus it's not easy being on unemployment . BUt I'll get there soon.

Also, if you're planning to oc take some time to brush up on all the laws in PA and know them well. Some weapons retention training is a good idea as well and try to choose a holster with some extra retention and practice with it. I don't want to sound like I'm coming down on you. I oc a 1911 myself most of the time, but think about getting some training/lots of practice with yours before jumping in with both feet. Just some friendly advice from someone who has done what you are planning to do for quite a few years.

Thanks . I can tell the difference between coming down on someone & really good advice . I did read a lot of articles about the 2nd amendment .Then read some more. Then some more. But when I do OC, I do see everything around me , by that I mean the back round .When ever there's someone behind me , or just being in arms reach. Plus I feel like I pay attention more to what's going on around me , not just near me. The best thing about carrying is it's has calmed down my road rage. I don't get very explosive mad any more, It get's the oh well thinking .
    Thanks for the Welcome R L Suehr + the advice Ttyl
    Billy
    It sounds like your getting the idea right. You definitely need to have good situational awareness while oc'ing and I think you've got the right idea there. This site can be a really great resource for learning laws, do some research on here and you will learn a lot. If you were a little closer I'd take a range trip with ya to give that new 1911 a work out. Maybe after I get through all the holiday craziness I can make a trip up toward that way, I'm about an hour and a half away from ya. Try doing draw practice with an empty gun. Learning to draw and fire safely and effectively with a single action pistol is the hardest part. You can get practice at home with an empty firearm for free for some of it. Just make double sure if the gun is clear and practice your draw stroke focusing on hitting the safety when the gun is pointed down range and not before while keeping your trigger finger along the frame and away from the trigger until you're ready to fire. Dry fire practice at home can do a lot of good in the interim until you can get some range time.

(Luzerne County)

Hay R L Suehr , I do try to read up on the OC , the 2nd amendment as much as possible .Plus stainless gave me a good idea, to check the local states to see if they let one carry with a PA license . I do try to do my draw practice a few times a day. But I don't keep one in the tube. So when I practice my draws , I practice cocking it at the same time ( without a clip in it .) So I can get my mechanics down .So sooner or later I'll get to pop off a few hundred rounds through it . Thanks again for the advice .
    Billy

(Philadelphia County)

Hi all, I am new here. First of all, English is not my first language; I am sorry in advance if there will be some grammars mistaken on my thread/responses...etc.
    I live in Philly (better than nj n ca I guess). I am a green card holder (permanent resident holder). Yes, I've read almost all the threads here about the green card holder things including since 2012 there is no need to tell the years lived stays bla....; I think I know exactly the reason; I have been through finger prints, palms prints, and several mug shots from the front angle and side and every single addresses I have lived in the U.S and the years. Yup, they (FBI and USCIS)'ve treated me as a real threat/ bad person before I got my permanent resident status. But I perfectly understand why they have done that to me and no hard feeling at all about it.
    It is a very short background about me; I got my GC (green card) through my mom (she is the U.S citizen); I have graduated and got my bachelor degree in Computer and Networking security in Wilmington University in DE (I took several classes through community colleges in the U.S too). FYI, some people get the GC because they are asylees and refugees, some from their family and their education level. Asylees/ refugees GC holders can access all government benefits etc...but NOT AT ALL for the ones from family or education sponsorship. In short, yes I pay taxes and ......my Obamacare insurance cost is double and triple every year; and I am aware where is the portion of my tax and insurance cost go. Those asylees and refuges are able to get their GC almost immediately as soon as they arrive here, while the ones through family and educations must to wait years (most of them are decades). I have been in the U.S since 2000. The one that make me "laugh" is how they can check the background for the GC holders from the asylees and refuges (they get GC almost right away) because there is no way government can check their background in their origin countries. It does not mean that all refuges and asylees are liar or bad people, but many of them are take advantages through this way. I think I have to end this before ppl

long time lurker, first time poster. been carrying for a while though. look forward to finally solving the oc vs cc question.

Montani Semper Liberi

(Delaware County)

I can't even believe I took the time to read post #3794 ? Really ?

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    long time lurker, first time poster. been carrying for a while though. look forward to finally solving the oc vs cc question.

The true pics of Coach CCing.

(Bucks County)

Hi to all, I am new here, and I think I can make this a daily stop. Got nothing to offer today, but soon I hope.
    Good Holidays to All.

(Chester County)

Hi there! My name “Frank Drebin” is appropriated from the character played by Leslie Nielsen of the Police Squad television series (1982) & of course the Naked Gun movies. I live in southeastern PA only a stone throw from Lancaster.

I was born and raised in New Jersey less than an hour from NYC. Back then guns were no big deal. It was common for kids to bring their guns to school and leaving them next to the coat rack in the back of the classroom. At the end of the school day they would head off to the clay pits or the swamp to shoot or hunt.

How things have changed over the years.

Sorry... back on topic.

I have been mulling over whether or not I should purchase a hand gun for awhile now. I will leave the politics out of it.

My wife and I are waiting for our LTC and will be reading through the forum for advice on pistols... 357, 380 and 9 mm. I am more incline to purchase a pistol with a clip as opposed to a revolver. As a first handgun to practice with will be a 22LR pistol. Right now we're thinking of a Ruger SR22 but am open to suggestions.

I spent 1970-1976 in the US Army Lightning 78th Reserve unit based in Edison, NJ. I qualified with the M1 and M16 military rifles. The M1 was still in service in 1970. It had a nice kick to it. Try holding that one on your chin and firing it. LOL

I own a Remington Nylon 66 which I inherited a few decades ago. I haven't used it or any other gun in well over 20 years now.

My other interests include hiking, photography, Linux, and pyrotechnics... and of course my grandkids. Not in that order.

I am retired from Unisys, and Sunoco Chemicals.

I will shut up now and be listening in for awhile so when I do post I can do so intelligently.

Best Regards,
    Frank Drebin
    Police Squad
    Pennsylvania, USA

(Chester County)

Welcome to the forum neighbor. You'll find no shortage of advice from members regarding types and calibers of pistols to consider, (i.e., every post will be different ). Regardless, there's a ton of expertise to be learned from members, as well as the many searchable threads on said topic, so start reading, "Frank".

(Lebanon County)

Welcome to PAFOA Frank.
    You will find a lot of good advice here, but be aware that there may also be some "not so good" advice mixed in. (This is the internet), as well as arguments about which is better, .357, .380 or 9mm. Of course you'll hear that the absolute best choice is a .45ACP 1911. There are many opinions, but the most important one is yours. You need to know what you're intended purpose is, what you're comfortable carrying, holding, aiming and shooting. There are many factors to consider and the ultimate decision is based on your needs rather than other people's opinions. There are times when a .22 mini revolver is my choice, other times I'll carry a 9mm, but most of the time I carry a .380. I have also carried .38 Special, .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum but found them to be too bulky for me. (I know there are smaller versions of those available, but I already have the ones I have and I'm not looking to buy more).
    If you have an opportunity to rent or borrow a few guns before you buy that would probably be the best way to decide which is more appropriate for your wants, needs and comfort factor.
    I will suggest that you visit your local congress critter, (representative or Senator), or possibly local law enforcement authority to obtain a copy of "Pennsylvania Laws Relating To Firearms". It's a free publication that will open your eyes to the jumble of laws that we're expected to know and abide by. Training, (by a professional), that includes a heavy dose of legal advice is highly recommended, (You'll see why when you start reading that publication).
    Good luck, and enjoy the company here.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Page 380 of 442 FirstFirst ... 280330370376377378379380381382383384390430 ... LastLast