Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: 18 Year old carry options?

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    This.

Lots of situations when you cannot legally carry. A few when you can....

If you're responsible, comfortable with safely handling a firearm and know the law backwards and forwards then I don't see a problem taking your dog on a walk while OC'ing, walking to a buddy's house, walking down the street to grab a gallon of milk etc.
    Be prepared for contact with law enforcement. Just don't do anything stupid that's going to jeopardize your LTCF in the future. Seriously, don't do anything stupid. Not a knock on you, but just that people's brains don't fully mature until ~25 years old (that's just science).

BTW, it is not legal to have a firearm unloaded and then load and holster up once you've arrived at your destination just to OC without a LTCF and then unloading again before getting in the car. It is only legal to transport in the car going directly to a range.

Good examples above, in bold, but at the risk of repeating myself he can't even do those things while the State of Emergency is in effect, just to be clear.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Lancaster County)

And we seem to be in a perpetual state of emergency. Too much risk in my opinion. Too many gun owners get caught up in some law they were unaware of.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Good examples above, in bold, but at the risk of repeating myself he can't even do those things while the State of Emergency is in effect, just to be clear.
    It was worth repeating. If you hadn't I would have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    And we seem to be in a perpetual state of emergency. Too much risk in my opinion. Too many gun owners get caught up in some law they were unaware of.
    Yes, even though it was a NJ court that said that a private citizen carries a gun only at his (legal) peril, we are perilously close to that same attitude and effect on this side of the Delaware. The frequent states of emergency make otherwise be lawful and unremarkable conduct fraught with risk to the unaware.
    Last edited by twency; March 10th, 2016 at 02:36 PM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post

Still?
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    Still?
    90 days.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Northampton County)

One thing I have learned from my time in PA, you should assume there is a state of emergency in effect. It's fairly common.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(York County)

All the above is on the mark, and remember, no matter how well versed in the law you are, the man with the cuffs and the badge thinks he knows more than you, especially if you're younger than him! You will be hassled at best, and depending on your location in the state, the attitude of the man might just be 'toss him in jail and let the judge figure it out'.

A quick story:
    Years ago, while even in my early thirties & in gun loving Central Pa, I had a run in with a local who thought he knew the laws better than I did. 'What are you, a lawyer' he asked me after a heated discussion? My response was 'what does it matter what I do for a living, I am right, go look it up, I'll wait.' Needless to say he wasn't pleased with my response and was about to provide me with a little more heartache, when another officer arrived and set him straight in the middle of a city street.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Patience, Grasshopper.

Even if totally legal, THE AUTHORITIES will use your all-of-eighteen years of age against you should anything go wrong, even if you're right.
    While it appears the OP is a responsible and mature person (best I can tell by his wording, structure, etc), I remember when I was 18 and presently deal with many teenagers who simply lack any maturity for their age. While it is his right, there is also a responsibility included. I know many of you were taught by parents and handled firearms at a very young age, but is there a problem with a line being drawn somewhere? Personally my biggest interests at 18 were cars and girls and two years later I carried a firearm before I was twenty-one when I got on the job and never knew the limitations otherwise.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    While it appears the OP is a responsible and mature person (best I can tell by his wording, structure, etc), I remember when I was 18 and presently deal with many teenagers who simply lack any maturity for their age. While it is his right, there is also a responsibility included. I know many of you were taught by parents and handled firearms at a very young age, but is there a problem with a line being drawn somewhere? Personally my biggest interests at 18 were cars and girls and two years later I carried a firearm before I was twenty-one when I got on the job and never knew the limitations otherwise.
    I don't think there's a problem with 'drawing a line' and giving our advice to him that it's probably in his best interest overall to not carry at all, and just wait until he's 21 with LTCF in hand. I think it's good advice. But I think what we've also done here is given him some specifics on the law and now it's up to him to make his own decision. I can't, in good conscience, not let an adult make the final decision about a critical right on his own. Hell, if his career path was in the military, he could very well be carrying a select fire M4 or M249SAW or driving an M1 Abrams before 21 years of age.
    Last edited by jthrelf; March 12th, 2016 at 12:02 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    ...Hell, if his career path was in the military, he could very well be carrying a select fire M4 or M249SAW or driving an M1 Abrams before 21 years of age.
    True, but only after boot camp and a lot of weapons training and qualification.
    Last edited by Carson; March 12th, 2016 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Spelling

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast