Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default Block shoot Jonestown, (Lebanon), Pa, Sunday, March 13, 2016

We are having a block shoot at Jonestown Fish & Game Wildlife Preservation Assoc. On Sunday March 13, 2016.
    (Also known as a "card shoot" Turkey shoot" or other various names). We shoot at paper cards with 12 ga guns. 20 shooters per shoot and usually about 20 shoots per day. The shooter who gets a pellet, (BB) closest to the X in the center of the card for that shoot is the winner. We have a maximum barrel length of 30", minimum bore diameter, (Choke), is the same as a Remington Super Full Turkey Choke tube, the smallest commercially available choke tube that we are aware of. (We want to try to keep things fair, there are smaller chokes available, but they are custom made and not everyone has access to such luxuries). I've seen a 14 year old win with an H&R single shot modified choke and others with I don't know what choke but only a few BBs on the card, but one of those BBs was close enough to the center to claim the prize. (Others have peppered the card with impressive numbers of holes, but not had one close enough to win the prize.) The prizes include hams, meat trays, pork loins and MONEY. The doors open t noon and the action starts at 1:00. The monthly meeting will be held immediately after the shoot, (usually arouns 5:00 to finish the shoot). There are memberships available to those who are interested. You don't need to be a member to participate, you just need a desire to shoot a target load from a 12 ga gun. If you don't have a 12 ga gun there is always someone there willing to share.. (I have a 12 Ga, Iver Johnson, break action single, 30 inch barrel, full choke that I hsve let others use before and I am willing to share again. (I have seen others share their guns too, and I have seen numerous prizes won with shared guns).
    Most of the shoots are $3.00 per shot, for hams, meat trays & pork loins, the final shoot of the day is $5.00, 20 shooters, $100.00 prize, winner takes all.
    There is food and drink available. We always serve free soup that is made by a dear old woman who has been active in the club since Christ was a kid, and she makes some really good soup. This year it will be bean soup.
    The address is:
    2222 Kenbrook Road
    Lebanon, Pa, 17046
    The event starts at 1:00pm, the doors open at noon.
    There will be things for non-shooters to do as well. We will have games like Yahtzee, backgammon, checkers, cards and dice fore those spouses or other family members who might reluctantly tag along and otherwise be bored while waiting for you to shoot. There will also be games like Old Maid, Go fish, and a few other kids card games in case it's your weekend with the kids. All we ask is that the kids be well behaved and not left to run amok, this is an event where guns and shooting are involved, we don't want kids running around playing tag , king of the hill or any other ambitious games while there are rounds being fired.
    Even though it will be only shotguns, we strongly recommend hearing protection for everyone. The games will be indoors and hearing protection isn't needed there, but venturing outside would be cause to use hearing protection of some sort.
    For the younger children, there will also be crayons, coloring books and word search pages.
    We don't want to create a "Romper Room" or day care type of environment, but we are trying to accommodate everyone, there aren't many reasons to miss this event.
    Young shooters are welcome to participate too.

That young man walked away with a fist full of cash that day. He was proud, and so were his parents.
    (Image used by permission from the parents of the winner in the pic.).

Some clarification for those who may not be familiar with what a block shoot is or how it's run:
    Block shoot:
    Also known as Card Shoot, Turkey Shoot or other such names. We don't shoot turkeys and we don't shoot blocks, but many years ago the target was a wooden block with an X on the broad face on each side. The block was thrown into the air and shot while in mid air. (Hence the name).
    Scoring was determined by the block with a BB closest to the center of the X on the side of the block.
    It has evolved from shooting blocks of wood to shooting cards that are 4¼" X 5½":

in a stationary holder 30 yards away from the shooter. There is an X on the card and scoring is done the same way, the card with a BB closest to the center of the X is the winner. The cards are numbered and the scoring judge does not see any reference to which number correlates to the names on the sign-up sheet.
    Shooting is done with 12 gauge shotguns only, to keep it fair the club supplies the shells and interchangeable choke tubes are limited to commercially available chokes, no custom made chokes unless the bore diameter is .682" or bigger, we don't know of any commercially available chokes smaller than .682" so that's how we decided on that diameter. We have a nylon gauge that is machined to .682", if that gauge fits into the end of your barrel you can use that gun, if it doesn't fit, the gun is disallowed, no exceptions. The other rule relating to barrels is the maximum barrel length can be no longer than 30". One rule not relating to barrel length or diameter is that we do not allow optics, no red dot, laser or scope. The bead on the end of the barrel is sufficient, but if your gun happens to be equipped with rifle type sights that's OK too.
    We run a series of shoots, usually about 20 throughout the day. There are 20 shooters per shoot, a shot will usually cost $3.00 and the typical prize is a ham, a meat tray or a pork loin. Once in a while we will have a turkey as a prize but I don't think there are any turkeys on the schedule this time around. The last shoot of the day is a money shoot, it's $5.00 to sign up, there are 20 shooters and the winner collects all of the money, ($100.00)
    For each shoot there will be a stack of 20 target cards in the target house with a person in the house to change the card after each shot. At the shooting position the "caller" has a list of shooters who signed up for that shoot and he calls the shooters in order. Each shooter fires one shot at one card. After all 20 cards have been shot the cards are taken into the clubhouse to be judged. (A large magnifying glass and measuring tools are used).
    Shoot #2 will begin while shoot #1 is being judged, shoot #3 will begin while shoot #2 is being judged, etc. The winning target is then matched up to the sign-up sheet to reveal the winner of the prize for that shoot and the winning target is posted on a bulletin board outside the doors of the clubhouse.
    We don't tolerate horseplay, unsafe acts or unsportsmanlike conduct, we have banned some members for life due to unsportsmanlike behavior. We will not hesitate to ban other members or put non-members on a no-join list for improper behavior. It's a fun event, safety and camaraderie are top priorities.
    The proceeds of these events goes toward helping the community in ways that help citizens, especially children. We host hunter safetr classes and provide food for the students and instructors as well as buy the first license for children who are first time hunters who successfully complete and pass the course. We also have a youth field day near the end of summer, host women's self defense handgun courses and other activities, so the money we make on the event will be going to a good cause.
    Food and drink will be available, bean soup is free, (and good).
    You do NOT need to be a club member to participate. It's open to the public, anyone who is not a legally prohibited person is welcome to join the fun. There are games and activities for children and non-shooting adults as well.
    "Gee, I'd like to, but I have the kids that weekend is not a valid excuse, (as long as your kids are well behaved and not prone to running around creating a distraction or safety issue).
    We also give away meat prizes with raffle tickets so even if you don't shoot, (or do shoot but don't win that way), you still have a chance to walk away with some good prizes.

Here is a brief video to show how it is run. This isn't the best video to demonstrate it, but it's all I have available. This was something a little bit different that we tried one year, it was a "team shoot", two people would sign up as a team on each target and each fire one shot. Our typical shoots are only one shot at one target.
    View My Video
    We have never been rained out!
    We've been rained on, but never rained out. I'm hoping the nice weather this week holds out through the weekend.

All of the ranges will be closed while the block shoot is in progress.
    Last edited by mauser; March 8th, 2016 at 01:01 PM.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.