Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Looking to join a range in Pittsburgh area

Hello,

My girlfriend and I both want to join a shooting club. We live about a mile from Northside Sportsmens Club but all I keep hearing about is PMSC. We could just jump on the pike in Cranberry and shoot over to Monroeville exit so it is no big deal. $165 to join Northside and $100 to join PMSC. I really like the fact that PMSC has an indoor pistol range so we could shoot in the winter and not freeze our you know whats off. But with NSSC so close it is a tough decision. I don't like the no rapid fire rule at NSSC either as that makes practical/self defense/combat shooting a no-no. Everyone that are members of PMSC on here seem very friendly and nice. We are trying to make a decision as to what to do. Anyone want to chime in?
    Last edited by cyclops24; August 13th, 2008 at 08:52 AM.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Looking to join a range

Anyone want to provide any insight or information to these two clubs?

(Allegheny County)

I am a member a PMSC. I just joined a month or 2 ago but so far I like it alot. As for the indoor pistol range, I believe it is only open 3 hrs, 1 day a week for target shooting. It is open other times for ISPC and other stuff also but I have not been to a meeting nor the indoor pistol orientation so again I am not 100% sure. If Im not mistaken you can get a key to the indoor range but I think there is a fee.
    If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

(Butler County)

Thanks for the reply. That is good information to know since that is one of the key attractions for me.

(Butler County)

I emailed the guy in charge of memberships at PMSC and didn't get a reply. I think I am just going to join the closer club due to not knowing when the indoor range is available and not getting a reply from the guy in charge of memberships.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops24 View Post
    I emailed the guy in charge of memberships at PMSC and didn't get a reply. I think I am just going to join the closer club due to not knowing when the indoor range is available and not getting a reply from the guy in charge of memberships.

There is a very short rourse on how to use the equipment and a per use fee, The indoor is members only, so calculate an extra $15 to get your wife in as a member and $5 per kid if you have them.

PMSC is probably one of the best ranges around for the money, If you care to visit some day, Drop me a pm, I can show you around or just show up at a monthly shoot as a PAFOA member and ask any member to show you around.

For what its worth, I am about as far as you are from PMSC and the 45 min to 1 hr drive is well worth it.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

Ditto on PMSC. I'm looking to put my application in at the September Mtg.

(Butler County)

Thanks for the replies. We'd love to tour the facilites and learn all of the specifics as to what is available and when. We'd also like to learn what the rules and regulations are and the process for joining. We want to make a decision soon since the first of the month meetings are coming up at both clubs. PMSC sounds great, but it is hard making a choice when there is a nice club 1 mile from my door. So it is between Northside Sportsmen's Club and PMSC right now.

(Beaver County)

Sorry to hear you haven't had any responses from the membership chair, but I am a director at PMSC and will be glad to answer any of your questions.

I would like to clear up the discussion about our indoor range: It is open 7 days a week from 9am to 9pm, for members only. There is scheduled IPSC practice on Thursdays from 6pm to 9pm and during the winter months we move to the indoor range. But like now, during warmer months the IPSC practice is outdoors and therefore the indoor range is available for members to use. To shoot in our indoor range with your wife, you both have to be members and take the indoor range orientation. After the orientation you purchase a key for $5(I belive). After that, you can use the indoor range. There is a $3/half hour indoor range fee.

If you have any other questions, I'll be glad to answer them, just send me a pm.

I used to be a member at NSSA, it is a nice and well kept club. But it is a very simple setup with not much to offer, yet is more money than every other club around that has much more to offer. I would join PMSC first, it is well worth the drive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast