Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default How are your clubs handling house bill 1276 requiring volunteer background checks?

This is a big discussion right now and as an event coordinator I'm curious to see what other clubs are doing. In a nutshell Wolfe signed a bill into law regarding protection from child abuse and all volunteers at events where children could be present require a back ground check.
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/...hoice=suppress

Are your clubs requiring the background check? Are they feeling they don't qualify as an event as such? Like I said this has been a big back and forth at my club and I'm just curious what other clubs are doing as volunteer organizations when it comes to events

Default Re: How are your clubs handling house bill 1276 requiring volunteer background checks

I'm registered with the state (contractor) If I'm not mistaken, there is a background check done on me at the time of registration.
    Progressiveness sucks.

Default Re: How are your clubs handling house bill 1276 requiring volunteer background checks

I'm registered with the state (contractor) If I'm not mistaken, there is a background check done on me at the time of registration.
    Progressiveness sucks.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Progressiveness sucks.
    you can say that again....

oh.....
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Lackawanna County)

I've done the registration as well. It sucks but it was a matter of keeping the events going. The issue I have is that as part of our club we do work hours. Those work hours include an event open to the public where a child may or may not be present at. It's almost a condition of membership to have the background check done. Many are looking at this as guilty until you prove yourself innocent and it doesn't sit well.

(Lehigh County)

I do volunteer work at a Y camp, but not directly with kids. Had to sign a letter certifying not a prohibited person (do not remember details). Only had to have a full check if actually working with kids. The state did make the checks free in a lot of circumstances.

If you want to know more I can go back and dig up the info. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    Many are looking at this as guilty until you prove yourself innocent and it doesn't sit well.
    And many are correct. Wait til EVERYONE that attends a event needs a background check to enter.
    Which reminds me of the chip the gov wants to implant in us.

(York County)

One organization that I am involved with (a historical facility) offers events for kids. They have always been popular and well attended. When this came up it really raised some hackles. Many feel, as do I, that this is just yet another intrusion into our lives by an every expanding and invasive government. The result is that most of the volunteer staff has stopped participating and the number and size of events has been drastically cut back, and in some cases canceled. The losers are the kids.

(Cumberland County)

Years ago when I was in the Civil Air Patrol we did a program that was almost a mirror of the Boy Scouts Program. It included finger prints going to the FBI and watching a film to make you more aware of predator behaviors. Of course both of those programs include taking the kids on overnights.

Even if the checks are free I know one of them requires finger prints to be submitted through the 3M(yes the scotch tape 3M) cogent system. I am a mandated reporter because of my profession but I remember having 3 BGs done just to work with Juveniles. One was a simple criminal check the other 2 were child abuse.

All mean while subcontractors of schools aren't technically required to have the checks done.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast