Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default What's your favorite turkey call?

Just like the title says, what is your favorite turkey call(brand and model)? For me right now I just got a HS Strut Smokin Gun triple reed and it is one of the best sounding calls I have right now. Not the best cutter but it wasn't designed for that. To put it into perspective I would say that it is very close sounding to the HS Strut Raspy Old Hen just a little sharper sounding but still has a good amount of rasp to it.

Coming in a pretty close second is a new Ma Deuce HS Strut that's a 3 reed V-cut that is about as raspy as it gets for me. I am still breaking it in but it is coming along nicely. It sounds really good but for some reason I neglect it because I have about a dozen other calls that sounds decently close to it but ones that I am more comfortable with right now.

This list will likely change 2-3 times by the end of the week.

(Chester County)

Default Re: What's your favorite turkey call?

My favorite call is the one that brings the gobbler running to me like he hasn't seen a hen in years! I've been using some of the different Flextone calls over the last few years, and then seem to get the job done.

"come and get it! turkeys done"
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Delaware County)

For pot calls I like the Knight and Hale White Liar. If you can find one of the old ones with the wooden exterior get it. The new ones are plastic and don't have the same soft natural tones in my opinion.

http://www.knightandhale.com/white-liar-wooden

For diaphragm calls I have always had just as much luck with the cheap Primos diaphragms as other more expensive brands/models. However, I am pretty darn good at calling hahaha. The Primos calls don't seem as sturdy as others though and once again I prefer Knight and Hale. Honestly if you are new to diaphragms get one of the Primos Sonic Domes. Practice with it a bunch and then graduate to a diaphragm without the plastic dome. I carry a bunch of them for skittish gobblers that need more enticement.

Locator calls are very useful and I recommend having a crow call and an owl call in your arsenal. I really don't think it matters where you go with the owl, they all sound almost exactly the same. Just learn what an owl call really sounds like, "Who-Who-Who-Who-cooks-for-you!" Look up barred owl calls on youtube. I like owl calls shaped like the Primos Hute Flute. As far as a crow call, buy something like a Primos Power Crow (cheap) and go out in the woods and try to imitate crows. Believe it or not they have a specific call cadence for different meanings. You can look it up on the internet as well and imitate.

I do have a Primos Gobbler Shaker and have had great success with it. PLEASE BE CAREFUL NOT TO USE A GOBBLER IMITATOR IF ON THE MOVE OR ON PUBLIC GROUND, WEAR ORANGE! There are some crazy people out there.

I am also a big fan of box calls. Having quite a collection and several custom made I would have to say that they all sound different and can have great success. If you have never used one I suggest to start out with a Lynch's Fool Proof. They sound great, they are common, they are cheap, and they are easy to run. Once again you can graduate to bigger and better as you learn. Personally I do not like any box calls designed to work when WET.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Feddog82 View Post
    For pot calls I like the Knight and Hale White Liar. If you can find one of the old ones with the wooden exterior get it. The new ones are plastic and don't have the same soft natural tones in my opinion.

http://www.knightandhale.com/white-liar-wooden

For diaphragm calls I have always had just as much luck with the cheap Primos diaphragms as other more expensive brands/models. However, I am pretty darn good at calling hahaha. The Primos calls don't seem as sturdy as others though and once again I prefer Knight and Hale. Honestly if you are new to diaphragms get one of the Primos Sonic Domes. Practice with it a bunch and then graduate to a diaphragm without the plastic dome. I carry a bunch of them for skittish gobblers that need more enticement.

Locator calls are very useful and I recommend having a crow call and an owl call in your arsenal. I really don't think it matters where you go with the owl, they all sound almost exactly the same. Just learn what an owl call really sounds like, "Who-Who-Who-Who-cooks-for-you!" Look up barred owl calls on youtube. I like owl calls shaped like the Primos Hute Flute. As far as a crow call, buy something like a Primos Power Crow (cheap) and go out in the woods and try to imitate crows. Believe it or not they have a specific call cadence for different meanings. You can look it up on the internet as well and imitate.

I do have a Primos Gobbler Shaker and have had great success with it. PLEASE BE CAREFUL NOT TO USE A GOBBLER IMITATOR IF ON THE MOVE OR ON PUBLIC GROUND, WEAR ORANGE! There are some crazy people out there.

I am also a big fan of box calls. Having quite a collection and several custom made I would have to say that they all sound different and can have great success. If you have never used one I suggest to start out with a Lynch's Fool Proof. They sound great, they are common, they are cheap, and they are easy to run. Once again you can graduate to bigger and better as you learn. Personally I do not like any box calls designed to work when WET.
    Knight and Hale does make some good calls and I have a collection of them on top of my gunsafe(where I keep my calls throughout the year for easy access). I do have 3 of their slates, all older ones that were passed down to me and one "Slate-tek" it is called tricked one last year to its death. I am favorite to David Hallorans pot calls, I have the crystal mistress and it is my favorite pot call. I'd like to have more but for how much I use pot calls the price isn't worth buying more for the ones I already have.

I think mouth calls come down to personal preference and how you like the tape cut. Personally I don't care for primos mouth call too much but I do use their other products. I like HS Strut for cheap mouth calls. Again, I think it is which one works best for the caller. I should give primos another look though.

(Chester County)

My 4 year old has told me he wants to go with me to the turkey blind this year, so I found a simple push button call so that he can help with the calling duties so he doesn't have to just sit there all day. I was trying to help him figure out how the pot call works, but he's as stubborn as his old man and doesn't want any help.

(Beaver County)

The Talkin Stick wormy chestnut slate call is by far the best call I've ever heard.

http://talkinstick.com/products/wormy-chestnut-slate

(Dauphin County)

+1 on the primos gobbler shaker
    Vote Hillary for Prison 2016

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    "come and get it! turkeys done"
    personally ... that is one of my favorites also
    Always sorting 12 ga. once fired hulls ...Looking for something ...LMK

(Delaware County)

I have to add that I just bought two ZINK mouth diaphragm calls and they are my NEW FAVORITE. Fantastic sound!