Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default They told me bigger was better...

So I got one of the few crew served, true assault pistols that shoots the most American of all pistol rounds, .45ACP.

It's so tacticool that I even blurred out my serial number!

Don't be hatin' cause I'm operatin'

In all seriousness, the Mark 23 gets a lot of hate for it's size and cost. But once you handle it and shoot it, you get it (either that, or you still hate it). It just feels awesome to shoot, and the gigantic size of the slide makes even just racking the slide a whole different experience. Super smooth and surprisingly soft shooting. And a pretty darn good trigger too.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: They told me bigger was better...

What's the barrel length?

(Allegheny County)

According to HK, 5.87" barrel, 9.65" OAL, 7.76" sight radius.

(Philadelphia County)

No offense but I'm more interested in the bigger gun,who is the maker of it?

(Allegheny County)

That's a Coharie CA89 MP5 clone. From what I understand, one guy owned various MP5 clone manufacturers (Special Weapons, Coharie, Bobcat, Vector), and was known for hit-or-miss quality and kinda iffy customer service. I got mine used, and it definitely is not perfect...

If I were looking for an MP5 today, it'd be the Zenith/MKE Z5 series. MKE was a licensed H&K manufacturer, and from what I've been hearing, the quality has been very good (and for those with issues, the CS is apparently quite good, with a 5 year warranty). Bretheren Armament is also making a "production line" US made clone with a welded rail if you want a quality US made gun.

The main reasons I went with the (used) Coharie was that their US parts count was very high (11, of the 16 parts applicable to an MP5), and because it had an ambi trigger group. Most of the MP5s you'll find use the "SEF" style trigger group. The internals of the SEF and ambi trigger groups, are for the most part, not interchangeable. A clipped and pinned (the term for converting a push pin style lower to fit on a semi auto civilian MP5/HK94) ambi lower is around $400, from what I've seen.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    That's a Coharie CA89 MP5 clone. From what I understand, one guy owned various MP5 clone manufacturers (Special Weapons, Coharie, Bobcat, Vector), and was known for hit-or-miss quality and kinda iffy customer service. I got mine used, and it definitely is not perfect...

If I were looking for an MP5 today, it'd be the Zenith/MKE Z5 series. MKE was a licensed H&K manufacturer, and from what I've been hearing, the quality has been very good (and for those with issues, the CS is apparently quite good, with a 5 year warranty). Bretheren Armament is also making a "production line" US made clone with a welded rail if you want a quality US made gun.

The main reasons I went with the (used) Coharie was that their US parts count was very high (11, of the 16 parts applicable to an MP5), and because it had an ambi trigger group. Most of the MP5s you'll find use the "SEF" style trigger group. The internals of the SEF and ambi trigger groups, are for the most part, not interchangeable. A clipped and pinned (the term for converting a push pin style lower to fit on a semi auto civilian MP5/HK94) ambi lower is around $400, from what I've seen.
    I think that guy's name is Tod Bailey and I have heard a bit of those various companies.I have an older MKE clone as well as one made by POF.They are both fine shooters and are as close as I will ever get to owning a real MP5.
    I was under the impression that the US parts count deal only applied to imported rifles and not handguns...stupid law either way.I like the ambidextrous selector feature and I prefer the older style housing that is on my two clones.
    I could not not make out which one yours was,I like that slim handguard you have on there.

(Allegheny County)

922(r) parts count is rifles only. I plan on making this guy my first SBR. There seemed to be some confusion on whether or not 922(r) applied to SBR, but now it seems like the general consensus is that it does.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    922(r) parts count is rifles only. I plan on making this guy my first SBR. There seemed to be some confusion on whether or not 922(r) applied to SBR, but now it seems like the general consensus is that it does.
    Nice,which stock do you have in mind?

Does the HK's slide close when the mag is inserted?

(Bucks County)

Yes, the Mark23 slide will slide close if you forcefully slam a magazine home.

I've successfully done it on a USP as well, but not as reliably.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast