Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Gifting a Firearm (long gun)

I have three suggestions.

1. Buy a rifle and sell off the upper. Why do you have to have just a lower?

2. If not, can you buy a complete lower? I think only stripped lowers are "Other" to FFLs but not sure.

3. Post a Want to Buy add in the PAFOA classifieds. If you lived nearby I might sell you a stripped lower FTF, but honestly I'm not interested. Somebody might sell you one without FFL.

The gun is not "registered to" nor "officially owned" by anyone. So that is not a concern. As previously mentioned, the only important thing is you acquire it legally.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    and seeing as how you just told the whole world your intent I'd go a different route.
    Yeah I figured that wouldn't work - just wanted to double check that I somehow didn't miss anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    With all respect (I'm not trying to rain on your parade), but really smart folks here have offered great suggestions. Instead of looking for a work-around, maybe wait until you're 21 and do it yourself?
    Yeah, it looks like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I have three suggestions.

1. Buy a rifle and sell off the upper. Why do you have to have just a lower?

2. If not, can you buy a complete lower? I think only stripped lowers are "Other" to FFLs but not sure.

3. Post a Want to Buy add in the PAFOA classifieds. If you lived nearby I might sell you a stripped lower FTF, but honestly I'm not interested. Somebody might sell you one without FFL.

The gun is not "registered to" nor "officially owned" by anyone. So that is not a concern. As previously mentioned, the only important thing is you acquire it legally.
    1.)Want to get a lower from a specific company - their complete rifles aren't cheap.

2.) Never thought about that, but like you, I'm not sure either.

3.)Kinda like #1, I'm not sure if anyone would have said lower near me. Most of the stuff I've seen in the WTS forums was more of the generic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    and seeing as how you just told the whole world your intent I'd go a different route.
    You noticed that too huh.......
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post

Even a complete lower is still annotated as an "OTHER" on the 4473. This is because it has not been made into anything yet. You can buy a complete lower and still make it into a pistol or a rifle. It does not matter if there is a rifle butt stock on it or not, it doesn't become anything until you put an upper on it. Put a rifle upper on it, it is now a rifle. Take the rifle butt stock off and put a pistol upper on it, it is a pistol. Put a pistol upper on it before you take the rifle butt stock off and you have just broken the law by make an unregistered SBR.

The OP would be fine if he did a FTF private purchase of a stripped lower, 18 year olds can do that. It's just that a FFL cannot sell the stripped lower to an under 21 year old.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12