Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Dumb things you have seen people do with firearms

What are some dumb things you have seen people do with firearms. YouTube has some good ones, but I am sure you guys might as well.

Obviously this one is classic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfVZjbyzFGQ

Wow, just found this one too!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDfNV9bJoSg

I think its good to see and hear about other people's mistakes sometimes. You know, its always good to learn from OTHER people's mistakes.
    Last edited by Twister; August 11th, 2008 at 11:02 PM. Reason: add last sentence.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Dumb things you have seen people do with firearms

I was at SGL #43 and saw some dope shoot across five lanes at the 25 yards target frame. I was using one of the lanes he was shooting across. I bugged out as fast as I could pack up.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Monroe County)

Had someone misfire and look up the barrel to see if anything was stuck.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by thelemite View Post
    Had someone misfire and look up the barrel to see if anything was stuck.
    Haha, good old human curiosity. Curiosity killed the cat is funny yet it sure does apply in many situations.

I was at SGL in Waterford and 3 guys show up. One claiming to be fresh from Iraq. They were admiring my pink XD and "askeded me how much it be costed". I got plenty of stares when I was shooting my AR. I knew there was going to be trouble. One guy was bragging about what a great shot he was and how he can shoot everything. So the fresh from Iraq guy hands him a full size 1911, .45. Well the guy takes one shot, can't control the gun and proceeds to empty the whole magazine at his own feet. After people started screaming, "drop the gun" they left.
    That sucked!
    Last edited by Michele; August 11th, 2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: oops, spelling

(Luzerne County)

Those are priceless! Protect and serve.

(Allegheny County)

I remember an account on here about the SGL in Wexford, some guy shooting what looked to be exploding targets with a rifle. While putting up targets, the guy witnessed the man pushing .45 rounds into the target, and he was shooting the primers.

I remember the guy said he packed up immedietly and left.

I go to a private range myself, so I don't see any bad firearm actions when I'm out shooting. Thank god...

(Philadelphia County)

I saw one guy slip a cellphone under his earmuff on the firing line. Can you hear me now? Not for long.

One time I was coming out of SPAG as someone came in with a gun in hand. He turned the gun sideways, pointed right at me, and proceeded to fiddle awkwardly with the mag. Thankfully he got it out, though why he was doing it that was is a mystery. Gravity is your friend.

On that subject, what is the etiquette regarding sweeping with an unloaded gun? Last time I was at the range, this woman emerged from the firing line with a Sig P232. She racked the slide three times (nothing came out) and then let it forward again. But after that she got very careless about where the muzzle was pointed. I thought all guns were to be treated as loaded if the slide was not locked back. Not that I'm in the habit of letting my muzzle cover people even if the slide is open.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Around our ranges the rule is you sweep somebody once and your guns go away.

Empty or not, slide locked back or not.

It's a no-no.

(Philadelphia County)

The above may not be "proper" but its really not all that unsafe. I would do it on private lands by myself, but certainly not at a public range. (not to mention .45 is expensive )

I saw someone shoot about an inch from their foot on a draw, because they "thought the safety was on" and put their finger on the trigger.

I personally never use safeties unless required by range rules. KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER and no problems will occur; I'd say at least 50% of ND are because people relied too heavily on safeties.

I believe a well known WW2 era gun guru pinned the safeties on his employees 1911s without any significant issues.

IMO follow the 4 rules and sweat nothing else.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast