Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Firearms training for ltcf

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    I have no problems with this "requirement". I've seen some downright dangerous things on pistol ranges. The thought of some of these people being able to carry concealed is frightening.

I would even passing the NRA Basic Pistol as being necessary to get a LTCF.

We wouldn't let an incompetent person drive a car, why let one carry a gun? That's my opinion. Blast away...
    I agree with this point as well. I've actually left ranges because of unsafe handling by other shooters. This is why i'm so on the fence about it. I know it isn't required now----and i'm not suggesting it should be addded---i'm just looking for others opinions.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

I agree that 48 states should do away with this lisc nonsense. How many moronic carry episodes have occured in VT and AK? Yes some people at the ranges are "fudds", but do these morons have LTCF's? How many moronic carry episodes have occured in PA among LTCF holders?

Oh and if only MD would allow us minions to carry!
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bdevil73 View Post
    Yes, some states do have a training requirement. These requirements vary by state. Some will accept hunter education or NRA classes. Some, such as Utah require that the training be administered by a Utah certified instructor. SOme require live fire as part of the training, some don't.
    Thanks, i'll do some research to see what is required.

The reason i asked was because 20 or so years ago when i got my ltcf i took a class at target world (basic ltcf training). It involved i think 4hrs -- 2hrs class time going over different handguns, stances, safe handling, laws and then 2hrs on the range. To get the certification, we needed to pass the written test and put 6 shots on a paper plate at 7 yards in like 15 seconds. It was a very easy class and didn't cost a whole lot. It seemed to be a reasonable "basic" class. I know i didn't need to take it but i figured it wouldn't hurt any.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    How many moronic carry episodes have occured in PA among LTCF holders?

I don't know, that is why i asked---are you aware of any?

(Philadelphia County)

Basic gun safety and knowledge of criminal law (not just relating to firearms) should be taught in schools. We teach kids to swim so they don't drown, there is no good reason not to teach them to safely handle guns, which are as ubiquitous if not more so than pools.

(Chester County)

I don't see a training requirement as being any different than an age requirement to own/carry a gun. Quite frankly I've seen some kids who can handle firearms better than some adults. Even adults who claim, "I've been shooting all my life."

Is owning a firearm a fundamental right? Yes. I agree there.

Is the right to carry it a fundamental right? Maybe...48 states say you need some kind of license/permit to carry it concealed or otherwise. Sounds like that's a privilege. We've all accepted that as a privilege by obtaining a license/permit to play by their rules.

What's one more requirement to pass a qualification test to obtain the license/permit? Well here's where I contradict myself with a thought I just had.... What if they make the test so hard no one can pass it?

In principle I'm in favor of at least some basic training being necessary for someone to obtain a carry license/permit. However I acknowledge that there can be abuse of this requirement if the anti's get control of the governing body that makes the requirements.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Butler County)

How about a signature on a piece of paper that has the 4 rules on it

Then a pamphlet that details what you can and cannot do with a LTCF.

If people follow those 4 rules and read like a page of two on law... good to go. The rest will be up to Darwin.

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    I don't see a training requirement as being any different than an age requirement to own/carry a gun. Quite frankly I've seen some kids who can handle firearms better than some adults. Even adults who claim, "I've been shooting all my life."

Is owning a firearm a fundamental right? Yes. I agree there.

Is the right to carry it a fundamental right? Maybe...48 states say you need some kind of license/permit to carry it concealed or otherwise. Sounds like that's a privilege. We've all accepted that as a privilege by obtaining a license/permit to play by their rules.

What's one more requirement to pass a qualification test to obtain the license/permit? Well here's where I contradict myself with a thought I just had.... What if they make the test so hard no one can pass it?

In principle I'm in favor of at least some basic training being necessary for someone to obtain a carry license/permit. However I acknowledge that there can be abuse of this requirement if the anti's get control of the governing body that makes the requirements.

So owning is OK, carrying can be restricted?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Yes.

It already is restricted. Carry into a courthouse if you don't agree.

We've seen lots of times that even legal carrying comes with hassles, arrests, confiscations, etc.... If we don't play by their rules they take away your permission to carry.

I am in favor of some requirements to own and carry a firearm. I can't say that I'm in favor of everyone being allowed to own a gun. I do not want my own brother to own a gun. He's excluded from ownership and I think it's a good thing.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    That is a very though provoking question.

Even with ownership (in today’s standards) we have to pass a test to buy a firearm---all the forms and background checks they do. So, once again, our rights come with some concessions. So, does a proficiency test become completely out of the question to carry a firearm on your person? I’m not sure that it is unreasonable---but where do you draw the line? I’d like to know the guy next to me at the grocery store wont accidentally shoot me or themselves in the foot while we are standing in line.

But again, i am not aware of any poor handling issues with ltcf holders.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast