Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Sporting Clays or Five Stand

Hi all, I am very interested in getting involved with sporting clays or five stand shooting. I understand the costs of entering this sport, so I'd like to give it a try before I commit.

Could anyone offer any suggestions on how to approach this? I have heard that that 7-Springs and Nemacolin offer classes and rentals, are there any other options for me? I appreciate your help, none of my friends share this interest so I'm on my own.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Sporting Clays or Five Stand

I would approach the sign up desk at any of the local sporting clays courses, explain that you're new and would like to be squadded with a group who is friendly to new shooters. In return, rent one of their guns and buy their shells. In the interim, I would check out the NSCA website http://www.nssa-nsca.org/index.php/n...lays-shooting/ and read up on the game. If you ever get out to the other side of the state, I'd be happy to take you along...

Frank

(Beaver County)

If you don't want to spend alot on the first try check out Rochester Sportsmans. There sporting clays is once a month and open to the public. It's 100 birds for $30. Not the most challenging but well worth the 30.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the offer Frank, I'll keep that in mind. Also thanks for the website! I took a look and it made realize I should probably start with something like trap to get acquainted with shotguns in general, then move to sports clays.

DucatiRon, I've never shot a shotgun before so I'm looking for a training course on shotgun operation/safety and shotgun sports all in one. Do you know if Rochester offers that to non members?

(Beaver County)

Oh...I didn't know you were looking for a "intro to shotguns". Now that that is clear I can help you with that.

We have a open to the public trap night at Ambridge Sportsmans Club on Sunday nights. We have a few people there that would be more than welcome to help you out learning. We shoot starting at 6pm soon as the weather warms up a bit. We probly may even shoot this weekend. Our rule is above 40 degrees with no rain and we shoot. Trap is $4 per round for 25 birds for non members. Stop by Walmart or such and buy your own shells. We have shells at the club but are a bit more exspensive than Wally World.

Do you have a shotgun ? If not just give me a shout when/if you want to come out and we'll bring extras.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.