Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Default NRA's new "blended" pistol course?

I've been an NRA certified instructor for decades. I haven't run a formal class in many many years but I keep my certifications active so I can help at the range at summer camp and it adds a level of credibility if someone asks me to teach their wife/girlfriend/kids to shoot.

All that said, it surprised the hell out of me when I read that NRA is eliminating the classroom portion of the Basic Pistol Course. How's that work? Apparently, when someone enrolls in your class, you give them a PIN and a link to an online course. What about those folks who still don't have internet access? The official answer is "send them to the library or borrow a family member's computer."

Now I don't know about the rest of you but I became an instructor because I enjoy teaching and I find that there is value in teaching in a classroom setting. People ask questions, points get clarified, and I look really smart.

I'm sure that all of us have looked up a video on Youtube to learn how to fix something. Pretty handy but if something isn't clear, there's no way to ask for clarification.

NRA claims that this will improve things because instructors won't have to block out as much time for the class and won't have to rent classrooms. Meh.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: NRA's new "blended" pistol course?

I took the Basic Pistol Course, and I enjoyed the face-to-face interaction with the instructors and others taking the course. Lacking this interaction leaves questions and needed clarifications unanswered.

Maybe the NRA should request currently-certified instructors their opinions on the matter, rather than changing policy.

(Lehigh County)

I agree with you guys.
    Face-to-face instruction is much more useful.

Why can't the NRA offer two types of courses at different prices; inline and in classroom ??
    --ET

(Allegheny County)

To say that an online "class" is as effective as a traditional "in person" class is like saying that interaction on this forum is as effective as it would be in person.

It's just not the same when you are limited in this manner.

I don't have it in me to go into it further.
    And right there is a good example because it would be infinitely faster, clearer, and easier to express/explain in person.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post

What about those folks who still don't have internet access?
    Tell them it's time to move out of the 70's??

I see where it can be a good thing. It provides a consistent experience, making sure everything that's supposed to be covered in the classroom actually gets covered. It also ensures students get the same information no matter where they may be taking the class.

If they still have questions, nothing stops them from asking you to clarify it when they needed for the rest of the course. Make it a point to ask if they had a questions on what was covered online. Then you can still have your head swelling "I look smart" moment.

(Juniata County)

That is the way all things are headed. CPR, ACLS & Pals have been dvd driven for a long time, with online classes available for the last few years where you only come in to have the hands on portion evaluated. I.e. The chest compressions, applying the aed & so on.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Bucks County)

There may be something driving the online thing. Assuming the link provided is under auspices of the NRA, it gives the NRA control over what is taught...a huge legal advantage in today's litigious world, for instructor and student. Sorry to say, but over the years one sees individual instructors (of anything) can be wrong about something they pass on. It's just part of the human condition.

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    I see where it can be a good thing. It provides a consistent experience, making sure everything that's supposed to be covered in the classroom actually gets covered. It also ensures students get the same information no matter where they may be taking the class.
    It also means that they can have their kid do the material because they don't want to fuss with the computer.

Tell them it's time to move out of the 70's??
    Considering that I know people who use a computer every day for work but still have no idea what they are doing with a computer. That's people young and old. I recently floor a 20ish person when they saw me do Ctrl-C Ctrl-V for copy and paste. Seriously, he had no idea that you could copy and paste like that.

Something else that NRA is requiring with this new system is capturing all of the student's information in their database. Why? Marketing. NRA won't reissue certificates, that's up to the instructors so why do they need my students' names and addresses?

(Bucks County)

So they can critique you?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast