Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Saw Someone Open Carrying - Second Time Ever.

Not counting my father over thirty years ago who knew it was legal I've only ever seen ONE person carrying openly - and that was probably at least four years ago. (In Greensburg Walmart)

My wife and I walked into a Long John Silver's in the eastern part of Pittsburgh this evening and there were three men inside that I noted as we entered - two at the counter and one behind them at the soda/condiment counter. I immediately noted the dual mag pouch (black nylon) hanging at his side. Oddly enough I saw it even though it blended in with his dark clothing. He was wearing a black, semi-faded t-shirt and large, "cargo" shorts that were all grey and black camo pattern. (with no white)
    A few seconds later I saw the handgun on the other side of the shoulder rig but didn't want to be an ass and stare at it, so I don't really know what model it was.

The three guys were all together. All pretty young (compared to me. lol) I'll note that they were black in order to be labeled a racist by someone out there for even mentioning it. The other two were dressed nicer than the OC dude. They were hanging out by the condiments/napkins waiting for their order when my wife was trying to gather those items for us and the "other two" weren't paying attention so the OC guy told them to "get out of the way so the lady can get her napkins".

I only mention that portion because as we sat down at a table I jokingly said to my wife "Should we call the police?"
    She looked puzzled and I realized she didn't get what I was saying. "Didn't you see the guy open carrying?" I asked.
    "No, where?", she replied. "The one dude up front - he's wearing a shoulder holster."

She looked past me and said, "Oh, OK... no, I didn't even see it - so much for MY situational awareness!" LOL

Heh. Not only did she not see it when we were all just standing there getting ready to order, but she interacted (although briefly) directly with him, and never noticed it.

I really wanted to ask if he gets any shit from people. And yes, mostly curious because he's black. I would wonder how that affects perceptions.
    To me, he looked harmless - a large-ish guy for sure, but nothing about his appearance was either "thuggish, or professional - he didn't appear to be "strapped to defend against rivals", nor armed for employment purposes - just a dude carrying a gun - in a shoulder holster.

I had the chicken planks - and a side of shrimp on a bed of crumblies. Mmmmm.... crumblies...
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Saw Someone Open Carrying - Second Time Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Not counting my father over thirty years ago who knew it was legal I've only ever seen ONE person carrying openly - and that was probably at least four years ago. (In Greensburg Walmart)

My wife and I walked into a Long John Silver's in the eastern part of Pittsburgh this evening and there were three men inside that I noted as we entered - two at the counter and one behind them at the soda/condiment counter. I immediately noted the dual mag pouch (black nylon) hanging at his side. Oddly enough I saw it even though it blended in with his dark clothing. He was wearing a black, semi-faded t-shirt and large, "cargo" shorts that were all grey and black camo pattern. (with no white)
    A few seconds later I saw the handgun on the other side of the shoulder rig but didn't want to be an ass and stare at it, so I don't really know what model it was.

The three guys were all together. All pretty young (compared to me. lol) I'll note that they were black in order to be labeled a racist by someone out there for even mentioning it.
    The other two were dressed nicer than the OC dude. They were hanging out by the condiments/napkins waiting for their order when my wife was trying to gather those items for us and the "other two" weren't paying attention so the OC guy told them to "get out of the way so the lady can get her napkins".

I only mention that portion because as we sat down at a table I jokingly said to my wife "Should we call the police?"
    She looked puzzled and I realized she didn't get what I was saying. "Didn't you see the guy open carrying?" I asked.
    "No, where?", she replied. "The one dude up front - he's wearing a shoulder holster."

She looked past me and said, "Oh, OK... no, I didn't even see it - so much for MY situational awareness!" LOL

Heh. Not only did she not see it when we were all just standing there getting ready to order, but she interacted (although briefly) directly with him, and never noticed it.

I really wanted to ask if he gets any shit from people. And yes, mostly curious because he's black. I would wonder how that affects perceptions.
    To me, he looked harmless - a large-ish guy for sure, but nothing about his appearance was either "thuggish, or professional - he didn't appear to be "strapped to defend against rivals", nor armed for employment purposes - just a dude carrying a gun - in a shoulder holster.

I had the chicken planks - and a side of shrimp on a bed of crumblies. Mmmmm.... crumblies...
    Yeah, I know how you feel. I saw a black guy OC'ing on East Ohio St. on the North Side, It made me feel good to see a black guy legally armed. Just like it makes me happy to see more people joining the Pink Pistols. And women; I love seeing women arming themselves. And churches with armed security. Come to think of it, I'm happy to see anybody arm themselves.

(Juniata County)

Shoulder hostler eh. I kind of want one, but it is pretty obvious you could spend a lot of money and get some damned uncomfortable set ups.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Lehigh County)

I've only ever seen 1 person open carrying. Big biker dude at an Applebees.

Speaking of Applebees - while they are apparently cool with OCing - the last 2 times I ate there I puked within a couple hours.

So OC there, but don't eat there.
    -jFw

i woulda said hi and struck up a conversation

yea, im that guy who thinks that every open carrier is my buddy

whether they want to be or not, open carriers are ambassadors
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    i woulda said hi and struck up a conversation

yea, im that guy who thinks that every open carrier is my buddy

whether they want to be or not, open carriers are ambassadors
    As long as you are okay with walking away if someone doesn't appear to want to chat, lol.
    Junior

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    As long as you are okay with walking away if someone doesn't appear to want to chat, lol.
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    I'm sorry. *hugs*
    Junior

(Northampton County)

So you saw three black guys at Long John Silver's and one was OC.

Holy wall of text, Batman.

You are not a novelist. You are a Mexican.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Indiana County)

I know I've seen at least a dozen oc'ers this summer, mostly in Walmart, but one yesterday coming out of the Family Dollar in Northern Cambria.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast