Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Handgun range open to public with rentals near Pittsburgh?

    It seems like there are plenty of ranges in the Pittsburgh area, but many of them are clubs that require membership.

    I'm currently in the market for my first handgun, and would like to go someplace where I can rent a few different models and try them on for size. So, I'm looking for a range that at least has designated times when they are open to the public, and also offers a variety of handgun rentals. Hopefully it won't break the bank, but I don't expect it to be dirt cheap either.

    I'm coming from the Squirrel Hill area of Pittsburgh (15217).

    Everyone seems to recommend Pitcairn-Monroeville, but I can't find any information on rentals or public hours. I also can't seem to get in touch with them...
    edit: PMSC contacted me (thanks) and informed me there are no gun rentals, and the range has no public hours (except the uspsa practice shoots on thursday nights are open to the public).

    thanks

    edit: Thanks for all the info. I got myself a cz 75 sp-01 and a membership to PMSC.

    shooting ranges pittsburgh
    Last edited by danp; November 3rd, 2011 at 12:14 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Helltown, Pennsylvania
    (Westmoreland County)
    Posts
    1,266
    Rep Power
    45840

    Default Re: Handgun range open to public with rentals near Pittsburgh?

    A&S Indoor Range, Youngwood, PA

    http://www.indoorpistolrange.com/
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    385
    Rep Power
    216423

    Default Re: Handgun range open to public with rentals near Pittsburgh?

    Perhaps a trip to the group shoot would be in order. You'll have the opportunity to experience many different types of handguns (with the owners permission). Its only 5 bucks to show up.
    No signature required.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    21,289
    Rep Power
    21474868

    Default Re: Handgun range open to public with rentals near Pittsburgh?

    Anthony Arms has rentals/indoor range.

    It can be pricey, but if you are only doing it a few times, it's bearable.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Age
    60
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Handgun range open to public with rentals near Pittsburgh?

    They lost their FFL not long ago. Not sure if they have that situation corrected. You are forced to buy their ammo to shoot there. My son and I shared a lane last winter. I bought 2 boxes of 9mm and a box of .22lr. The total was over $60 to shoot for 1 hour. That's just nuts.
    The guy behind the gun counter was a total jackass. Rude and had no idea what he was talking about. Bad combination, rude and wrong !
    3 lanes were taken up by some brothers with the dew rags. They had rented some guns and were demonstrating how it's done in the hood. Ignoring safety rules, shooting cross lanes. The staff did nothing to stop this. I don't care what anybody's personal style is but when they begin to endanger my safety or my 10 year old's who was with me that day, I had to say something. They ignored me giving me the Manson stare. I told the staff guy behind the counter who said he's handle it but he never said a word. We left never to return.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Handgun range open to public with rentals near Pittsburgh?

    I went to Anthony Arms about a month ago. I try to stop by when I get the chance just to see how they are doing. I was also surprised they lost their FFL but there were signs everywhere stating it would be back by December of this year.

    The range is expensive as you typically have to buy their ammunition. I rented a pistol, bought two targets, and two boxes of ammunition and it was around $43.00. I like to rent pistols to try ones out I don't own.

    There wasn't anyone else there but me this time.
    Run

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kittanning, Pennsylvania
    (Armstrong County)
    Posts
    650
    Rep Power
    1738

    Default Re: Handgun range open to public with rentals near Pittsburgh?

    Damn I'm glad I live in the boonies .............. All I gotta do is step outside.



    Good thing too because there ain't nothing in my area as far as a indoor range with rentals.
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    PGH, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    7,483
    Rep Power
    253711

    Default Re: Handgun range open to public with rentals near Pittsburgh?

    Quote Originally Posted by drootang View Post
    It seems like there are plenty of ranges in the Pittsburgh area, but many of them are clubs that require membership.

    I'm currently in the market for my first handgun, and would like to go someplace where I can rent a few different models and try them on for size. So, I'm looking for a range that at least has designated times when they are open to the public, and also offers a variety of handgun rentals. Hopefully it won't break the bank, but I don't expect it to be dirt cheap either.

    I'm coming from the Squirrel Hill area of Pittsburgh (15217).

    Everyone seems to recommend Pitcairn-Monroeville, but I can't find any information on rentals or public hours. I also can't seem to get in touch with them...
    edit: PMSC contacted me (thanks) and informed me there are no gun rentals, and the range has no public hours (except the uspsa practice shoots on thursday nights are open to the public).

    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt7546 View Post
    Perhaps a trip to the group shoot would be in order. You'll have the opportunity to experience many different types of handguns (with the owners permission). Its only 5 bucks to show up.
    yep, what he said, nieghbor

    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/shoots-ra...am-1-00pm.html

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Handgun range open to public with rentals near Pittsburgh?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    That would be ideal, unfortunately I'm flying to Houston that morning. If I was extremely patient I could wait for the next one, but then, I might be out of town again. I think I just have to go on my own schedule.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    PGH, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    7,483
    Rep Power
    253711

    Default Re: Handgun range open to public with rentals near Pittsburgh?

    Quote Originally Posted by drootang View Post
    That would be ideal, unfortunately I'm flying to Houston that morning. If I was extremely patient I could wait for the next one, but then, I might be out of town again. I think I just have to go on my own schedule.
    not this weekend cause its my sons B-day. But if you want to check out PMSC sometime thw weekend of the 30th that is cool.

    you are looking for rentals, does that mean you dont own any guns yet?
    I have a few.........
    Is there something in particular you are looking to shoot?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Public Range in Lancaster?
    By KLiQ in forum Ranges
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: August 21st, 2011, 10:59 PM
  2. Looking for a public range near lebanon
    By scottshere2 in forum Ranges
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: October 11th, 2009, 12:45 PM
  3. ak-47 at public range in pa
    By Mooseman in forum General
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: April 16th, 2008, 10:04 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: June 14th, 2007, 10:11 AM
  5. public range?
    By BFit70 in forum General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: March 23rd, 2007, 02:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops