Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default 308 Ammo for hogs

I'm going on a hog hunt in TN next week and am thinking about bringing my ptr91 (my other options are 556 guns or a 12 gauge shotgun, so I'm still debating). The ptr is zeroed with m80 ball, of which I have a bunch. Will the military stuff do the trick, or do i need a fancy hunting round?

This is my first time hunting anything larger than a squirrel and I'm all sorts of excited.

(Wayne County)

Default Re: 308 Ammo for hogs

Any good cup & core will do. Ball ammo just might go right on thru, not good if your working with dogs?

(Bucks County)

Yeah, what he said^^

I've done well with 180 grain Rem Core-Lokt on hogs, but my AR-10 didn't feed it all that well. Now I'm using 165 grain Hornady Superformance. I haven't shot anything with it yet but it feeds reliably and shoots to the same POI as the 180 grain FMJ stuff I usually shoot.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Any good cup & core will do. Ball ammo just might go right on thru, not good if your working with dogs?
    This! Please don't use ball ammo on animals. Cheap soft points from Remington, Winchester, Federal, etc. would be much better.

ETA: I'd definitely use the .308.

This is you first time hunting and you are considering FMJ

Do the animals and yourself a favor and get a bullet for the job as many have already stated. Many folks view hogs in a negative way, but as a hunter you should hunt them humanely as possible. SP and HP are much better choices...if i were you, I'd take AR15 just for weight savings over the PTR, but that's just me.

(Luzerne County)

I use the Winchester 150 grain powerpoints out of my 308 of deer and it flattens them. I would try these for hogs if I was going. They are around $18 a box in my area(NEPA) so they wont break the bank either.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    This is you first time hunting and you are considering FMJ

Do the animals and yourself a favor and get a bullet for the job as many have already stated. Many folks view hogs in a negative way, but as a hunter you should hunt them humanely as possible. SP and HP are much better choices...if i were you, I'd take AR15 just for weight savings over the PTR, but that's just me.
    My initial thought process revolved around reading so many people using .223/5.56 for hogs. My (perhaps incorrect) assumption was fmj 308 would perform better than hp 5.56.

I truly want to kill the pig in as humane way as possible, that's why I'm probably taking the 308 dispite the 556 guns being lighter and having optics (plus I'd probably take my suppressed fs2000, so I could feel like a space marine).

O well, guess I'm just going to have to go to a gun store and range this week. Life is so hard

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ooglar View Post
    My initial thought process revolved around reading so many people using .223/5.56 for hogs. My (perhaps incorrect) assumption was fmj 308 would perform better than hp 5.56.

I truly want to kill the pig in as humane way as possible, that's why I'm probably taking the 308 dispite the 556 guns being lighter and having optics (plus I'd probably take my suppressed fs2000, so I could feel like a space marine).

O well, guess I'm just going to have to go to a gun store and range this week. Life is so hard
    You are making a smart choice by using expanding ammo when hunting pigs or almost any game for that matter. Is this a guided hunt and did you ask you guides about what type of ammo to use? I am kinda interested in seeing what a guide would tell you to use on a pig.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ooglar View Post

You want to kill them humanely, shot them right behind the ear.