Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Problems With My AR

I purchased a Bushmaster M4 "Optics Ready Carbine," brand new, about 6 month ago. I have only taken it out twice and maybe put one hundered rounds though it at most.

The problem I am having with it is I am getting frequent failure to feeds and failure to ejects. When it fails to eject it will try to feed the next round into the chamber and force the spent shell up in between the bolt and the charging handle.

Usually I can just pull the charging handle back and lock the bolt back and the spent shell will just fall out but the last time it jammed the shell was jammed pretty well and it took me and a friend 10 minutes to be able to clear the shell.

When the failure to feeds occur it will fully eject the spent casing. I have only used Remingtom 55grn rounds and have cleaned and oiled the gun very well after the first trip to the range. If anyone could help me out or lead me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Problems With My AR

Does this happen with the same magazine, or separate magazines?

If you only have one... try and scrounge a second to see if the issue is with the magazine.

(Northumberland County)

Ibid.
    Try different mags. I had the same problem with my Bushy years ago... it did NOT like the Orlite magazines (even though they were the ones that were okay in bushmaster.)
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Lehigh County)

Try different magazines first, if that did not solve the problem try different ammo next. Sometime the remington ammo is loaded a little light, you will find it varies from batch to batch. I used 1000 rds. of remington 9mm ball in a Jeff Gonzales class earlier this year and I noticed a difference in each case that I used. If the mags and ammo dont solve the problem check the gas key for looseness and/or gas leakage, Bushmaster is known for poorly staking the gas key and this can certainly cause short stroking.

If you are using old mags the feed lips are prone to spreading, I just had the same problem with a training mag with my brand new Noveske N-4. Fired the first round and double feed followed, the mag-pul follower and spring were removed and the mag body was smashed. Mags are cheap right now buy some while you still can, you wont be sorry.

(Philadelphia County)

I am betting its the mag. Get some new ones. You should stock up on them anyway.
    If you ask, you will get mixed reviews on them, but Magpul P-mags work great (on my AR's anyway)
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

I have two mags, one came with the gun the other I bought seperatly, I don't know what brand that mag is (at work, can't go look) and the issue is with both mags. What do I look for to see if there is any gas leakage?

Thanks for all the quick replies.

(Monroe County)

Check your gas key and make sure it is tight. Check it with an allen wrench not just by triing to wiggle it. I just had a Bushmaster come in that was short stroking and the key seemed to be tight but what had actualy happened was the front key screw was broken but the staking was holding the head in place. I realized it quick when I put a torque wrench on the screws. I replaced the carrier key and both screws and problem was solved.

Rich W.

(Chester County)

I had the same problem with my Stag a few months back. What everyone else is telling you will most likely remedy the problem. If it doesn't, try taking apart the bolt and giving that a thorough cleaning; try also cleaning out the gas tube. Good luck and keep us updated!
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

M91/30 ~ Stag 15 Model 2

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warners Surplus View Post
    Check your gas key and make sure it is tight. Check it with an allen wrench not just by triing to wiggle it. I just had a Bushmaster come in that was short stroking and the key seemed to be tight but what had actualy happened was the front key screw was broken but the staking was holding the head in place. I realized it quick when I put a torque wrench on the screws. I replaced the carrier key and both screws and problem was solved.

Rich W.
    This is most likely the root cause.

BM's have a lengthy history of inadequately staked carrier keys.

I'm sorry for bringing up an old topic but I wanted to give everyone who posted replies an update.

It has been a while since I have been able to go to the range, but I had the opportunity this weekend. I had read, on another forum, about people having the exact same problem with the exact same gun so I decided to follow their lead since they had success with solving their problems.

-Bought 4 new magazines (MagPul)
    -Upgraded the ejector spring
    -Bought a new BCG (Lewis Machine and Tool) that already has the upgraded ejector spring (just in case it was the key staking)
    -bought a heavier buffer

These things seemed to fix all of the old problems but now have created a new one. The bolt locks open on an empty magazine about a quarter of the time and it also seems to be short stroking and has basically turned my AR into a single shot rifle. I didn't try the new LMT BCG to see if that solved the problem because I forgot I had it and also I figure that this is being caused by the heavier buffer and once I swap back in the old one I should be good to go. I didn't bring the original buffer with me so I wasn't able to see if I was right or not.

If anyone thinks that this new problem is being caused by something different please let me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast