Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Carry Permit Philadelphia

Hello all, looking for some simple advice.

The address on my PA DL is in Philadelphia. I live in an apartment there with my girlfriend. However I spend anywhere from 1-3 nights a week at my parents depending on my work schedule for the week. They reside in Berks county(which is much more gun friendly).

Would it be legal for me to switch my DL address to my parents house and to obtain my carry permit in berks county in order to avoid the delayed process in philadelphia?

Now before people jump down my throat, please understand the full situation. Technically I do live there, I sleep, eat, shower, and do laundry there, i grew up there and previously had a carry permit in Berks County that expired about a year ago. I am not looking to break the law and there is no reason for me to be denied a carry permit. Im just trying to avoid the delayed and illegal process that the PPD uses in regards to conceal carry permits.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!!

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Carry Permit Philadelphia

Which do you consider your domicile? Is your mail sent to Berks County or Philadelphia? Do you have utility bills? If so, in which county are they for? Where does your Earned Income Tax go to? It really, really sounds like you live in Philadelphia but occasionally flop in Berks County. Whether you can switch your DL depends on PennDOT.

As far as being gun friendly, it's probably still a bit of a pain getting an LTCF in Philadelphia, but since their last lawsuit they are much friendlier than in the past.

I understand what you are saying, but from my point of view I pay my parents a couple dollars a week to stay there and I live there, regardless of what term you would like to use for it.

Basically what I want to know is if my DL says I live in Berks county and I apply for my LTCF and they run me through the check that is what will come up and everything will go through.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage523@gmail.com View Post
    I understand what you are saying, but from my point of view I pay my parents a couple dollars a week to stay there and I live there, regardless of what term you would like to use for it.

Basically what I want to know is if my DL says I live in Berks county and I apply for my LTCF and they run me through the check that is what will come up and everything will go through.
    Yes.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage523@gmail.com View Post
    Hello all, looking for some simple advice.

The address on my PA DL is in Philadelphia. I live in an apartment there with my girlfriend. However I spend anywhere from 1-3 nights a week at my parents depending on my work schedule for the week. They reside in Berks county(which is much more gun friendly).

Would it be legal for me to switch my DL address to my parents house and to obtain my carry permit in berks county in order to avoid the delayed process in philadelphia?

Now before people jump down my throat, please understand the full situation. Technically I do live there, I sleep, eat, shower, and do laundry there, i grew up there and previously had a carry permit in Berks County that expired about a year ago. I am not looking to break the law and there is no reason for me to be denied a carry permit. Im just trying to avoid the delayed and illegal process that the PPD uses in regards to conceal carry permits.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!!
    You have been without a LTCF for about 12 months. If that is about how long you have lived in Philly, you would have received your LTCF from Philly about 10 months ago.

(Philadelphia County)

It just took me 77 calendar days ... So call it 9.75

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikedee View Post
    It just took me 77 calendar days ... So call it 9.75
    9 3/4 it is then.