Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Post Head To Head: Kahr CW380 vs. Ruger LCP (2nd Gen.)

So I've owned/carried a Kahr CW 380 for a couple months now, but my boss kept going on about his LCP. I liked my Kahr. Stainless slide, fits well in the hand, awesome sights, lightweight, etc. However, even after 200 rounds of break-in, it never ran quite right. So as well all know the new LCP took a price drop and got a few upgrades (sights and trigger), so Hearing my bosses voice in the back of my head, I had to get it. So it shows up, and in my neck of the woods (Scranton) it hit 60F today, so it was time to put it to rest; A broken-in Kahr, or a fresh out of the box LCP.

I hit the range, 200rds of .380 in tow. The guns have been cleaned, lubed, and are ready to rock.I post up a few targets, and get to work. I have PPU, Winchester, and GECO. Can't use Fiocci with the Kahr, just doesn't work.

6 rounds at a time, back and forth, Ruger....Kahr....Ruger....Kahr. 2nd mag in the Ruger, failure to feed, 3rd mag in the Kahr, failure to eject. After that....No failures. 100 rounds in, all is well. So, 10th mag in on the Kahr, the last round won't go into battery, has to be coaxed. Next mag, same thing, next mag, same thing. The last round would not return fully into battery. This is not a new issue with the Kahr. After a while it gets gummed up, won't cycle proper. This I expected. So I put the Kahr down, and started going balls to the wall on the Ruger. Mag after mag, round offer round, doesn't stop. Can't stop it. I wanted it to fail. I wanted to rectify the extra $125 I spent on the superior Kahr. But I couldn't. The Ruger, dirty, and I mean Dirty, would not stop feeding....it was accurate, it was loud, and it was comfortable in the hand. The battle was over.

So at the end of all of this, I, now being the owner of a P95DC, and a 3" SP101, am now expanding my Arsenal with an LCP (2nd Gen).

YMMV

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Head To Head: Kahr CW380 vs. Ruger LCP (2nd Gen.)

I also own a second generation LCP. I hesitantly bought it thinking how reliable can this plastic cheapie be?
    Several hundred rounds later and I have full faith in it. It really is the perfect gun to carry when you just can't carry something bigger.

The CW380 has several flaws, one is fatal, and that is the design of the striker. The other is ammo that it will feed reliably. I will address these individually.
    The striker is prone to breakage at the shoulder where the cone of the actual firing pin head meets the hollow cylinder body which houses the striker spring. The material in this area is thin. Where my striker broke, at this area, is where EVERY striker that I have seen, breaks.
    Kahr will repair or send you a free replacement, but they refuse to redesign the failing part, or admit there is an issue.

I love the idea of the Kahr 380 as a deep concealment gun, i love how accurate the gun is, and how soft the recoil is, but how do you trust it with your life?

My CW380 was relegated to a range toy.

Luckily, and to my surprise, a company designed an aftermarket striker that built up the thin area which failed, and made the striker from S7 tool steel. The price was about half of what I expected as well. I have been testing it and it is great thus far.

Ammo.
    My CW380 is reliable but only with conical shaped bullets. This I have no real issue with as the gun is primarily a back up gun. HPR 90gr HP bullets are running $29.00 for 50 in my area. The gun loves them, and I don't mind spending $6 more per box than WINCHESTER truncated bullets for 50.

I can also load up conical bullets just as easy as RN.

I know it sucks having to fix the failings of Kahr, but I think in the end that the gun will be what I had hope in the beginning.

(Juniata County)

Gven how small Kahr arms are why not get the 9mm or 45 acp?
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Montgomery County)

There is no comparison between the two. One is a really cheap option while the other is a very reliable and extremely well made gun. ( At least after the breaking in period.) I do prefer the P380 however because of the better finish but it has nothing to do with reliability. The CW 380 is a great gun.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

We had the P380 as well. Similar to CW380, a little smaller, and upgraded. I would recommend a firing pin upgrade.

I just considered both of these and went with the LCP, specifically an LCP Custom from CDNN (on sale for $239).

Upgraded short stroke trigger, sights and stainless steel guide rod. I ordered a 13-lb recoil spring to install in it's initial cleaning. Should be picking it up in the next day or two, will report back how it shoots when I can. I played with one at Gander Mountain before ordering, the sights are very nice and the trigger felt good. Aside from being shorter, the Galloway trigger is also wider than stock.

A lot of reviews were saying there are reliability issues with the Kahr, especially during the required 200-round break-in to get it functioning correctly. Aside from that, it sounds like a good gun that probably shoots easier than the LCP, at least before my upgrades. I didn't want to risk any problems since it's going to be a gun I'll be relying on a lot. I'm not buying an LCP for a range toy, it's going to have to work when I need it.

Last edited by alpacaheat; February 22nd, 2016 at 11:56 AM.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot