Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: Hunting Camp from 2016 Hunting Plan thread

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Ha.
    Lets review. My buddy, the camp owner is a retired nurse supervisor. His one kiddo does work on Medicare claims. The other kiddo just started school for auto mechanics.
    That leaves me, a plumber, welder, electronics technician who has watched all the other trades and probably knows just enough to be dangerous when it comes to carpentry, finishing, tile, Hvac, glazing and lets not forget my minors (hunting and fishing).
    Must be minors as i have yet to shoot a deer and only hooked a few fish.
    Ha.

Final product edit: The 1" threaded bar stock will be cut to length once the wall angle is attached.

I see another use for that tank holder, put a bullseye on her.

(Allegheny County)

Hunting Camp.

Well, It's getting almost warm enough to pour concrete. I took the tank lifting fabrication up there a few weeks ago along with 4X4's 2X4" a 6X6 and other scab lumber.
    My buddy took his (2) 8 or 9 foot angles up. They are 1/2" thick & damn heavy.

Bud's been just putting 10 gallons a clip into the tank during winter to keep the weight down till we get moving on this project.

Can't wait to be crawling under it.

My kiddo and his wife decided to redo their bathroom.
    They got a quote from ReBath but I told them all the plumbing has to be changed out before they put anything new in.

When I come back from Punta Cana, I'll have yet another bathroom to repipe.
    I'll have to remove the toilet , sink cabinet, sawcut the floor open, cut out all the existing drain and water lines, fish new wires for a fan and recessed lighting, cut out the waste and overflow, run a new vent into the attic for the sink, cut a hole in the roof for the fan exhaust, let Rebath demo the tub, install a new one and do their thing, reinstall the vanity and toilet after her dad does the tile floor.

I just can't wait.

I oriented a new instructor who will take my place as medical gas instructor at our school so I'm pretty sure I'm done except for moral support
    for the FNG.

I'd rather be at camp.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Lehigh County)

Hunting Camp.

Well, It's getting almost warm enough to pour concrete. I took the tank lifting fabrication up there a few weeks ago along with 4X4's 2X4" a 6X6 and other scab lumber.
    My buddy took his (2) 8 or 9 foot angles up. They are 1/2" thick & damn heavy.

Bud's been just putting 10 gallons a clip into the tank during winter to keep the weight down till we get moving on this project.

Can't wait to be crawling under it.

My kiddo and his wife decided to redo their bathroom.
    They got a quote from ReBath but I told them all the plumbing has to be changed out before they put anything new in.

When I come back from Punta Cana, I'll have yet another bathroom to repipe.
    I'll have to remove the toilet , sink cabinet, sawcut the floor open, cut out all the existing drain and water lines, fish new wires for a fan and recessed lighting, cut out the waste and overflow, run a new vent into the attic for the sink, cut a hole in the roof for the fan exhaust, let Rebath demo the tub, install a new one and do their thing, reinstall the vanity and toilet after her dad does the tile floor.

I just can't wait.

I oriented a new instructor who will take my place as medical gas instructor at our school so I'm pretty sure I'm done except for moral support
    for the FNG.

I'd rather be at camp.
    Boy, you would think you were a plumber or something! Let us know how camp turns out.

(Allegheny County)

Camp update.
    I noticed the oil tank support was need of repair and in earlier posts, described what I thought it would take to rework it.
    I fabricated a cradle as per the sketch I made and took it up a few weeks ago.

Easter day I dove into it. My buddy, his kiddo and I fished Sat. Trout won.

These 6" block were filled with mortar and placed on a shovel full of concrete. The freeze / thaw cycles were not kind.
    There was one pier under each tank leg.

I anchored a piece of 3 X 2 1/2" angle on the foundation after drilling holes to hold everything in position.

Got the cradle into position. I had to dig trenches for the 1" threaded rod retainers.

Set the 5 X 6 angles onto the foundation angle after drilling holes in everything needing them.

Cradle base sliding into position.

1" threaded bar stock with a nut and washer to lift and level / slope tank

Phase 1 done although I need to secure the cradle base to the heavy angles

Next phase will involve removal of the other 2 piers, excavating for a pad ( as soft as the ground is, I will likely have to footer the pad),
    placing concrete, then setting block how they should be layed, placing an angle or channel under the legs and lowering th tank onto the new piers.

I caught a trout this morning after having taken 800mg of ibuprofin from the 8 hour day that reminded me so painfully of what it was like to go to work.

Of course, doing shit like this is a challenge.
    I'm not sure what oil weighs per gallon. I think gas is 8.2 lbs and water is 8.33 lbs per gallon so 275 X 8+ and a 250 to 300lb tank gives me about 2500 lbs it needs to support.

(Beaver County)

Camp update.
    I noticed the oil tank support was need of repair and in earlier posts, described what I thought it would take to rework it.
    I fabricated a cradle as per the sketch I made and took it up a few weeks ago.

Easter day I dove into it. My buddy, his kiddo and I fished Sat. Trout won.

These 6" block were filled with mortar and placed on a shovel full of concrete. The freeze / thaw cycles were not kind.
    There was one pier under each tank leg.

I anchored a piece of 3 X 2 1/2" angle on the foundation after drilling holes to hold everything in position.

Got the cradle into position. I had to dig trenches for the 1" threaded rod retainers.

Set the 5 X 6 angles onto the foundation angle after drilling holes in everything needing them.

Cradle base sliding into position.

1" threaded bar stock with a nut and washer to lift and level / slope tank

Phase 1 done although I need to secure the cradle base to the heavy angles

Next phase will involve removal of the other 2 piers, excavating for a pad ( as soft as the ground is, I will likely have to footer the pad),
    placing concrete, then setting block how they should be layed, placing an angle or channel under the legs and lowering th tank onto the new piers.

I caught a trout this morning after having taken 800mg of ibuprofin from the 8 hour day that reminded me so painfully of what it was like to go to work.

Of course, doing shit like this is a challenge.
    I'm not sure what oil weighs per gallon. I think gas is 8.2 lbs and water is 8.33 lbs per gallon so 275 X 8+ and a 250 to 300lb tank gives me about 2500 lbs it needs to support.
    You do nice work, well thought out. I'd rep you, but must spread around some first. Great pictures also.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Allegheny County)

We do in fact like our coffee. We primarily get our bowstrings at 60xcustomstrings.com Ha. Most of those were left by the previous owners wife after he passed.
    Its a small lot and only extends about 50 to 60 feet past the building.
    3 houses around him are permanent homes so security is good.
    Thre is a rack of really small spikes, maybe a 3 point and a small 6 point left behind.
    Looks really comfy! Interesting thread!

(Allegheny County)

Phase 2 tank support done. I asked for concrete advice in another thread and got some ideas. I'm no concrete guy.

I got to camp on Friday about 9 AM and unloaded about 1000 lbs of crap and tools. Damn the boy scouts for me trying to be prepared.

I dug out the 2 remaining supports and the little bit of concrete they shoveled into a hole when the set the 6" blocks.

I formed for a 3 foot 6 by 6 foot 9 pad and put 3 to 4 inches of gravel in it.

I put some #9 wire mesh over a visqueen barrier. My original thoughts were to put the plastic in to slow the setup time knowing a 15 bag pour would likely be difficult to finish if it started setting up too quick ( boy was I wrong and we'll get to that).

I mixed it way too wet because dragging a hoe through wet concrete is easier than dragging a hoe though mix that has just the right amount of water in it. I final edged it at 11 PM.

I ended up with this the next morning along with an 800 mg ibuprofin back, shoulders, back and shoulders. Ha.

Next post.

(Allegheny County)

Phase 2 tank support continued.

I set (4) 12 X 16 X 4" solids as a base course. I had these at home.

By pure dumb luck I had just about an inch of clearance between the cradle support and the block.

I ran 2 courses, grouted those solid with concrete mix, added another course and grouted that.

I cut the legs to an inch above the 4" solids and finalized the block with those 4" solids on as caps

Next post.

(Allegheny County)

After clean up.

I cut 2 4" angles 30" long and placed them on top of the 4" caps. I then lowered the cradle to just take a nit of the weight.
    I have to google cure time for the concrete and mortar before fully lowering the tank onto the angles.
    Just before that, I have to verify that the tank has pitch to the outlet side and may have to shim one side to get that 3/8 to 1/2" slope I'm looking for.

I'll let the kiddo wheel the excess dirt away.
    275 gal times 8.2 lbs per gallon plus about 300 for the tank equals 2555 lbs. We should be good to go.

It rained a lot on and off over these 4 days and I brought a roll on heavy visqueen to tent the work area.

The downside was after completeing all the work, I was heading to the store at dusk and cruising about 55 to 60 when a suicidal deer ran in front of me. I didn't hit the brakes until the 1996 Ranger airbag hit me in the face. The deer went about 60 yards from point of impact and it was another 60 before I got the truck stopped. The horn activated and blew for a full 5 minutes. The dust / smoke from the airbag filled the cab. I thought for a sec the truck was on fire and bailed.
    Damage doesn't even look too bad but the truck was worth maybe a grand or a bit more. Between a tow to a shop, the air bag, headlight assembly , grill radiator, fan & housing. metal supporting the rad/grill, hood, fender jammed back into the door and not sure about the alt or AC compressor unit, the repair exceeds the value so it was essentially totaled..

Last edited by 27hand; May 3rd, 2017 at 10:19 PM.

I didn't hit the brakes until the 1996 Ranger airbag hit me in the face. The deer went about 60 yards from point of impact and it was another 60 before I got the truck stopped. The horn activated and blew for a full 5 minutes.
    You can Dodge a Ram and Ram a Deer but you will never Dodge an airbag traveling at 200 MPH! Sorry about your truck. You now need to get revenge on the population in the 2017 season.

A little secret about airbags, if you pull on the bag the horn will shut off. You really have to pull sometimes but it will shut off. One thing I hate at an accident scene is a horn blaring in my ear.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast