Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Hunting Camp from 2016 Hunting Plan thread

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Having a Miller right now. It's like admiration time.
    An old foreman 40 years ago used to send me to the bar for a couple six packs on Friday afternoons.

He was a firm believer in Admiration Time.
    That was the good old days when having a beer at lunch or admiration time was allowed. That and a good holiday punch! Another fine job, or as we used to say at the end of a job 'A thing of beauty is a joy forever', usually while having said beer.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Allegheny County)

I'm sitting in the dark listening to Brookville's MegaRock having another Miller and happened to look out.

I saw 4 doe at 930 grazing on my buddy's grass.
    Always cool.

Last night there were 2 that I saw around 10.

For years we have not seen many deer up here. Hopefully they are trending upward.

I had my sights set on an 8 point last year I saw on a trail cam above the camp.
    It's so steep, I bought 100 feet of 3/8" rope and strung it down the hill to climb in deer season.

I shot a 9 point behind my house last year so it didn't bother me that a local shot the 8.
    He told my friend he used my rope to lower the deer to the road.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

I finally got some straps and screws to attach the last 6 or 7 feet of heat trace into the bottom of the 20" pipe.

So here is a before and after comparison.

2019-10-14_06-50-26 by poofy27, on Flickr

2019-10-17_03-17-27 by poofy27, on Flickr

Recap:

I bummed a piece of 20" ID SDR35 from a sewer contractor.
    Removed the old block, bricks, insulation, service pex.
    Dug about 7 inches below the incoming PVC supply pipe.
    Installed a 24" square X 2" thick concrete slab as a base.
    Cut the SDR to size, slotted for the waterline, cut a hole of the 3" PVC sleeve.
    Cut a new hole in the cabin floor.
    Installed the 3" PVC sleeve (should have used 4")
    Heat traced, insulated and inserted the pex through the sleeve.
    Connected both sides. One with a sharkbite, the other with a water heater braided flex connector.
    Charged it and had no leaks.
    Circle cut 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood and 3 20" by 2" thick circles of styrofoam
    Installed a handle for removal

Just about done.
    2019-10-15_06-23-56 by poofy27, on Flickr

Backfill, get another piece of styrofoam. install 1/2" weather strip on the SDR 35 to seal any other air.
    Maybe get a concrete curing insulation blanket to cover the wooden lid.

Now, that was fun and I got a surprise of a case of beer and some Cabelas gift cards for my effort.

Done now till hunting season when I'll install a new bathroom exhaust fan, heater and light in between hunting for a mountain lion or a yote with my furtakers license.

(Allegheny County)

We are up at hunting camp now.
    I secured the 6 pieces of 2" styrofoam to the 2 plywood bases.
    I had to do 3 pieces to each base due to limited space above the housing and under the house.

2019-12-01_02-08-29 by poofy27, on Flickr

I bought a thermometer with a remote sensor to check the temperature within the pit.

The heat trace around the inside keeps the temp at about 45 degrees. Perfect.
    2019-12-01_02-08-43 by poofy27, on Flickr

The armaflex insulation around the lid keep any possible air infiltration at a minimum.
    2019-12-01_02-08-57 by poofy27, on Flickr

The 17 foot high deer pole was finally used as my buddy scored a 7 point about 930 yesterday.

2019-11-30_03-50-41 by poofy27, on Flickr

I made the guys an apple pie too.
    2019-12-01_02-09-08 by poofy27, on Flickr

Camp is good.

Nice job 27 hand. That is also quite a deer pole. I guess its bear safe.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Nice job 27 hand. That is also quite a deer pole. I guess its bear safe.
    Thank you.
    We were able to hang the deer easily using the truck ball hitch.
    Now, I need to get hardware to mount the hand crank to the 4" pipe.

Putting the sensor lead into the water shutoff pit was harder than I would have thought.
    I drove a piece of 1/2" plastic into the gravel next to the 20" pit housing. I had drilled a 1" hole in the housing about 3 inches above the bottom and slotted the 1/2" pipe about 2 inches and the same elevation as the hole.

It was like fishing wire in a house. I pushed some wire in and caught it with a hook, taped the sensor to the end of the wire and pulled/ pushed it in.

2019-12-02_07-37-39 by poofy27, on Flickr

Everytime I read the display, it was 45 to 47 degrees in the bottom of the pit.
    I had installed an extra loop of heat trace around the bottom of the well at about 5 watts per foot.

We considered getting something like a concrete curing insulation blanket to put over the top too but will wait to see how the pit temp might vary in really cold temps.

(Allegheny County)

I got a new shed, was cleaning shit out of a couple gangboxes and realized I hadn't used my pipe threading equipment in well over 10 years.
    A guy is coming tomorrow to maybe buy it for $150 with a yoke vise and some threading dies.
    This also prompted me to think about selling my Lincoln 250 tombstone welder with 300 feet of 4 ought cable.
    When I told my friends, my camp buddy asked if I could make something for him before shitcanning the weld machine.
    He tore down an old poorly constructed outdoor fireplace and is looking to rebuild it.
    He asked if I could fabricate a burn grate that would likely out live him or myself.

I thought number 8 rebar should do the trick. I drew up a plan to make a 36 by 36 grate set about 8 inches off the ground to shovel ashes out and let a fire breathe.
    We downsized it to 36 by 30 deep and figured angle walls to reflect some of the heat out.

I told him I don't want to dig anymore, really don't want to mix concrete anymore but told him I can certainly supervise, layout, bark orders, watch, nitpick details and enjoy watching someone else doing this work.

All 5 of us had input and the latest preliminary drawing of a grate is something like this.
    2021-03-01_07-48-44 by poofy27, on Flickr

Number 8 rebar is 1.50 a lineal foot. I have a 50 pound can of 5P and low High so after this knee problem is behind me, its balls to the wall or ease into it slowly.( not sure yet).

I think his kiddos thought this would be an easy peasy project.
    I told him I thought the base should be 6 inches thick using 5000 psi sakrete and measure at minimum 6 foot by 5 foot 6. A few inches larger would be better...

I figured the concrete 2 ways 6 feet times 5.5 feet time .5 feet thick divided by 27 came out to .61 cu yards.
    I wasnt sure how many 80 lb bags that would take but used an old method that a cu yd of concrete weighs about 4000 lbs time .61 was 2444 IIRC.
    divided that by 80 lbs per bag and came up with about 31 bags.

Later, I went to the concrete calculator and found it was actually 27.5 bags.

So, I'll do the layout plus 2 feet on each side, spray paint the outline and sit and watch some kids dig.
    As much as I'd like to bark orders on how to frame it, I may had to put down a beer and do some of it.
    We'll be using 2X6 forms and have the limestone chips about a half inch lower.

They talked about getting it delivered but I said likely a 3 yard minimum at at least $100 bucks a yard if not more and the truck couldn't drive over his water line and septic piping. so wheeling it 70 feet or so was an option or renting a mixer and doing it that way.

Then, once its finished to a smooth , glasslike hard burn finish, the easy work is done.

Ill do the wall layout and come back home and weld up the grate which will end up at least 150 pounds but will be the last grate I make.
    I told then to use 8" block and not 6".

(Allegheny County)

Heading to camp tomorrow after the little PT girl has her way with my knee.
    Tomorrow will be 7 weeks post surgery. I've cut the grass acouple times, I walked over 2 miles right after my last PT session.

I believe my wife still loves me but wants me to, let me think of her exact words. "GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE HOUSE FOR A FEW DAYS".

I have been a home body although I try not to ask her to do stuff for me. Ha.

OK, so, I asked my daughter if she wants to come up because I'll have the place to myself.
    She just got her LTCF and I was going to run her guns a bit ( to say goodbye) and detail strip them.
    I would like for her to do essentially another 1 day handgun class and I offered to pay for Randy Cains 3 day pistol class.

I figured I might as well take a few other guns and clean them up as well.
    I was going to run my Tikka .300WM at the gamelands range but decided to do that at PMSC another day my wife gives me that directive again.

So, I loaded up all the stuff I take. Bedding, clothes, I'll food shop local up there, fishing gear and pistol related stuff.

I put 3 or 4 hundred rounds of 9mm, ,40, 380 and 10mm together and pistols to match.

I will do at least one thing productive up there and thats to change the battery in the water meter pit thermometer.

Maybe I'll finish filling out the application to instruct Hunter Education too.

I am looking for a couple acres so I can get my own place but not sure where yet, Titusville, Marionville or north western WV

(York County)

Nice view

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789