Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Hunting Camp from 2016 Hunting Plan thread

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    You can Dodge a Ram and Ram a Deer but you will never Dodge an airbag traveling at 200 MPH! Sorry about your truck. You now need to get revenge on the population in the 2017 season.

A little secret about airbags, if you pull on the bag the horn will shut off. You really have to pull sometimes but it will shut off. One thing I hate at an accident scene is a horn blaring in my ear.
    Next time I'll know. Ha.
    So, I guess I can say I got my buck this year. A while back he would have been legal with 3" nubs.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Armstrong County)

Nice project you have going on.
    I know that intersection well from your first posts.
    I have a camp only a few miles from you off Little Hickory creek.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Allegheny County)

I researched the cure time for the concrete mix and the mortar. We decided to use the 28 days normally associated with 90% strength.
    It's been a week for the concrete. He's not going up this weekend so will use no oil. The 6" of oil in a 275 horizontal tank equates to about 52 gallons of oil. Hopefully he doesn't have to carry a couple more 5 gal cans till we can get a truck in there to fill it in a few weeks.
    Closest kerosene supplier is Titusville or Warren, each about a 1 hr round trip.

The dead truck and subsequent State Police follow up to the deer collision went south for me.

#1. The trucks inspection ran out in Oct 16------- Citation Got a warning ticket for this. Only bonus to be had
    #2. The registration was also out of date.---------Citation This one cost me $179. What a dumbass I was.
    #3. I had only outdated insurance info with me.----Citation The summons for this totalled $404. Waived because I did have it but
    had to print it out and Fax it to the Magistrate.

I didn't use this beater truck very much but brain farted on the inspection and Reg.
    I had the last 2 inspection reports with the truck but screwed up on having it when I needed it.

I finally downloaded the State Farm App which lets you pull up your Insurance info and is acceptable as a sub to the actual paper version.

Well I'm torn now on whether or not to get a newer 4 WD mini truck ( 2010 through 2104) or an older Ranger / S10 / Tacoma in the $5K through 15K range.
    Wife doesn't think we need 3 vehicles but our kiddo has hers for the duration of his car repair so now we are sharing my Forester.

(Beaver County)

The concrete work looks great, sorry about the deer and the dead truck.

Been lucky a couple of times with the registration & inspection thing and caught it myself before being caught by the law.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Allegheny County)

Just spent 5 days at camp.
    Had a few projects to look at.
    I fabricated a couple angles, predrilled them to mount onto the concrete blocks. I didn't see any support for the tank enclosure and should have thought to extend the block out far enough to catch the framework of the enclosure.
    Hind sight, Oh well.
    I drilled 4 anchors and ran 1/2" cap screws into the anchors. I also ran 2 lags up and into the framework as well.

Another issue we had was that during water heater drain down, water was infiltrating the water shut off pit. Grey water was doing the same so I figured a break in the pipe. I chopped some concrete with an 8lb sledge and found the problem quickly. The previous owners were not very plumbing oriented so instead of ferncos and / or rigid couplings, they opted to make a few fittings out of thinwall PVC pipe.

To finish it off, they put some old siding shingles over the top. I suppose to prevent dirt from entering the pipe.

After removal.

After repair.
    I put a 4X2 fernco on top and a 2" cleanout plug eventully.

After that, my buddy was happy that nothing leaked. I wasn't so sure so told him to keep water flowing for a while, not knowing where the grey water sewer terminated.
    As I thought, the line filled and started backing up.
    Shovel time.
    I lined up 2 points where I knew the pipe was and dug about 50 feet out, hit the pipe and water gurgled up out of the ground. It was another one of the home made fittings.
    Dug again near the rain gully figuring they ran it out to contaminate the runoff trench.
    4 holes later, I found the end. they ran it within 10 feet of the gully, backfilled it with rocks , covered it with shingles and let it semi filter the grey water. The trouble was tree roots grew 8 feet into the pipe and clogged it solid. Damn.

I suggested not contaminating the ground water or runoff water and redirecting it into the septic.
    I know that it will cause the septic not to work as designed and would require additional pumping but we both agreed it was better than polluting the water we fish out of.

Backfilled everything. Easy part.

Installing a 3 way switch was next. I crawled into the attic, found the power feed and switch wires. I noticed all the ground wires were cut off, probably to help fit the 6 14/2's into the 3 1/2" box. Ha.

I didn't have any electrical testers or tools so drilled the plates, ran some 14 / 2 to use as pull wires and opened up the walls where the new switch boxes would be.

R&R was next on the list.
    I made the best of it.

Another nice productive trip.
    We had a chicken / zucchini in olive oil over pasta.
    I made a crock pot roast with potatoes and carrots the next day, a porkloin with sauerkraut and kielbasa another day and roasted red peppers on hamburgers another. Still maintained my girlish figure at 184 lbs when I got home. Think Ill shoot for 180.

(Beaver County)

The camp is coming along nicely , you do excellent work, and provide us with great details on the correct way of doing things.

Thanks, good pictures too.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Lancaster County)

No zip line?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    No zip line?
    That's actually been kicked around. The hillside across the road is extremely steep and difficult to even come down.
    I was looking at a possibility of securing one end about 75 to 100 feet up the hill at the first bench and running it down to the property.

Have to look closely at the wires and clearances. It would be about 150 to 200 feet if it can be done.
    My wife told me she would really not like to wheel me around in a wheel chair for the rest of my golden years should I drop off my backyard zip. I even offered to shoot my self down there should it happen and I could still use my arms. Ha.
    But up camp, she would be none the wiser.

The roof is too flat and shingles are blowing off. My suggestion was to reframe the roof. ( My contractor agreed).
    This is beyond my comfort level. I told him to get prices.
    The peak to eave dimension is about 23 feet. It looks like a new ridge, intermediate framing and 2 by 6's.
    New sheeting or OSB and a metal roof. Bigger bucks.

Thanks guys. Most of the work isn't brain surgery. Just some common sense, plumb, square and level or sloped.

I'm happy to be able to do it. The roof is another story. R in the yellow pages comes to mind.

(Allegheny County)

A while back, I posted that with the help of a buck and at 60 mph just south of Titioute , I essentially had to shitcan my 1996 Ford Ranger, beater of all beaters after doing a deer / truck broadside.

I missed that truck as old and crappy as it was.
    With love and mostly need, I replaced the shocks, brakes, the battery, a couple wheel cylinders, some brakeline, the ignition switch and the 4 leaf spring hangers (putting almost a ton of gravel in it did the trick).

It was a good little truck and served me well from Dec of 12 to a couple months ago.

I've been sorta looking for another Ranger sized truck but wanted a 4 door, 4 wheel drive with 50 to 70K and a non smoker owned vehicle.

Well, my new beater is 12 years newer, has half the miles but cost over 5 times as much.
    It's loaded right now with a toilet and a bunch of electrical tools etc for my kiddos place.
    Here's the new beater.

One thing I'm thinking about is an anti deer grill protector.

Moving on. Can't wait to see what kind of milage I get from the 5.4

(Lehigh County)

Congrats on the new 'beater'. I know it beats the hell out of my everyday truck!
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast