Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Hunting Camp from 2016 Hunting Plan thread

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    The rest of the members of your club have made you chairman of the board. When does the painting start? That reminds me, I need to have my tank pumped out.
    Just my friend. He was my best man 34 years ago and was a nurse supervisor. Not like the construction bum I was.
    I just ordered a piece of 8" plastic to make a pump out connection at the septic and will pay to have that done.
    Next major project will be some roofing work. I'm not sure how he wants to approach that. The old camp members left roll roofing in the shed but he and I talked about metal. The previous owners used some inferior sheeting that has deteriorated and needs to be replaced.
    I know when the particle board comes off I will find other structural issues.
    That part of the roof has less than a 2 / 12 pitch so shingles should never have been put on unless ice and water guard were installed over the entire area ( which I doubt). Luckily it leaks onto a porch and not into the cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by chp1911 View Post
    Nice camp. I am pretty sure That I've driven past it several times when I was hunting in the area. Isn't the gas well pump house just up the road a bit?
    I think you are talking about the Queen road pumping station which is about 3 miles upstream past the second bridge.
    I only drove up there once so am not too sure about it's location or if its still a functional entity.
    The length of East Hickory Creek between the bridges is a delayed harvest area but cool to fish and hunt. We have camped along this stretch for many years.
    The last camp on the right before the first bridge had a member falling out quite a few years ago. I knew a few of those guys.

Even working up there isn't really like working. ha.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Beaver County)

Very nice looking plumbing work.

The camp is coming along nicely.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Great work and thanks for sharing your progress and photos.

(Lebanon County)

Hi Grump:

Last year the Bride an I went up for a couple of days in our Travel Trailer. 5000 Watt generator was all that we needed. Saw deer, no shots. Maybe do same in 2016. Private property where 3 counties almost touch ; Luzerne, Columbia and Sullivan----About 3 miles from Red Rock (Mtn).

Maybe I can find pics to post.
    fossil
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

(Allegheny County)

I didn't go up to my buddy's camp till a couple weeks before hunting season. and for a week during hunting season but there is a new project that needs some attention.

The 175 gallon oil tank is elevated about 3 to 4 feet and enclosed against the structure.
    I was checking the oil level and did a quick look under the tank.
    The tank support legs appear to be busting through the sheeting boards which are the floor of the enclosure.

Whoever installed it threw a couple shovels full of concrete on the dirt and put a couple 6" block on end under each leg.

Only the two front supports are carrying any weight now and the rear legs are crushing through the sheeting board flooring.

We will have to jack up the tank an inch or so, temporarily support it, remove the 4 supports, pour a 3 foot by 6 foot reinforced pad under it and lay block the way they are supposed to be installed.

I made a cardboard termplate of the bottom radius of the tank and started fabbing a cradle.

The partially completed cradle and 7/8" all thread rod to raise the tank. This bottom piece will be set on 2 angles attached to the foundation and blocked up outside of the pad outline.

A sketch of the wall support and blocking that will enable us to remove those vertical blocks.
    You can see the base which will be set on angles. The all thread rod will be cut to fit and slide into the cradle pipes with nuts and washers. The nuts will allow me to screw the rods up and inch or so to remove all the old blocks and stay there till I pour the new concrete. We will likely let it cure for a week or two, then block up to the underside of the legs.
    A flat piece of 3/8" by 8" wide plate will be placed on top of the block to spread the weight.

All told, IIRC the tank is about 250 to 300 lbs and the oil is about 8.2 lbs per gallon so it has to support 1435 lbs plus the 250 + for the tank or just under a ton when full.

We decided against just tearing off the enclosure to do this work. I had most of the steel and my old company gave me a couple lengths of all thread rod, nuts and washers.
    I ran out of angle iron so the other 2 vertical supports will be 1 1/4" pipe reinforced with a couple pieces of flat stock.

What do you mechanical minds think?
    Last edited by 27hand; May 3rd, 2017 at 10:05 PM.

(Lehigh County)

What construction is the wall, and how are you supporting off it? Seems like the potential weak link if there is one.

(Allegheny County)

Its 8" CMU. I'll be attaching a single piece of 3" angle with ( 4 ) 1/2" 4way anchors.
    They are all i use in hollow wall or concrete plank installations.
    Ill drill 3/8" holes with cap bolts to prevent sliding.

I have a few pieces of 1" threaded bar stock ill use if they are long enough instead of the 7/8" ATR.
    Last edited by 27hand; December 19th, 2016 at 10:41 PM.

(Wayne County)

You sure that they want you there to hunt?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    You sure that they want you there to hunt?
    Ha.
    Lets review. My buddy, the camp owner is a retired nurse supervisor. His one kiddo does work on Medicare claims. The other kiddo just started school for auto mechanics.
    That leaves me, a plumber, welder, electronics technician who has watched all the other trades and probably knows just enough to be dangerous when it comes to carpentry, finishing, tile, Hvac, glazing and lets not forget my minors (hunting and fishing).
    Must be minors as i have yet to shoot a deer and only hooked a few fish.
    Ha.

Final product edit: The 1" threaded bar stock will be cut to length once the wall angle is attached.

Last edited by 27hand; April 17th, 2017 at 09:11 PM.

Looks awesome man! Pretty much better than my apartment lol. I have been researching hunting tactics for a while now because I'm a noob and have found an Ok post on them. If you have any other ones please let me know:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/ho...ting-tips.html

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast