Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default HK P9 vs. Walther PPQ M2

Been away from these forums and the shooting community for several years. Kicking the shit out of Stage IV cancer, fatherhood, and earning a living can do that to you. :-)

I'm interested in getting perspective from fine folks here about how HK VP9 compares to Walther PPQ M2. If you've shot/owned one or the other, I'd love to hear from you. If you've shot/owned both, let me buy us both a virtual beer while I listen and learn from you.
    Last edited by Cole; February 15th, 2016 at 08:26 PM. Reason: not P9, VP9

(Columbia County)

Default Re: HK P9 vs. Walther PPQ M2

Here's a video of an unofficial torture test of the H&K VP9. I thought it was interesting to find that it doesn't take much effort to break the paddle mag release. ( approx 14:00 into video)

https://www.full30.com/video/2a27ee2...07789762f2b380

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: HK P9 vs. Walther PPQ M2

It should be noted that the HK P9 is a much older pistol than you're thinking of (at least, I hope it is). What you're looking for is the HK VP9.

I own a VP9, currently has the HK Parts Ultra Match Trigger spring set. I have shot, but do not own, a Walther PPQ (don't recall if it was an M1 or an M2. I might have shot both). I own a PPQ M2 .22, but it should be noted that the trigger system is completely different in the .22, and that the grip has no replaceable backstraps.

Trigger wise:
    HK VP9 has the better takeup. PPQ is longer, and feels like it's either grittier or perhaps it gets a little heavier towards the wall. Walther has a crisper, lighter break, and a shorter reset. Reset may be more tactile/forceful on the VP9 than the Walther, but I can't say for sure. (Note that I'm comparing stock vs. stock). Some think the PPQ is too light for defensive use, but that's your preference.

Grip:
    Both very good. I'd say the VP9 has an edge since you can change the side panels as well, so it's a good bit more customizable, but the PPQ certainly doesn't feel bad.

Controls and handling: I think both have the slide stop in a poor position, if you were to do a thumbs high grip (you'll tend to prevent the slide from locking). The VP9 cocking "assist" is actually pretty nice, especially for those who have limited hand strength. I prefer the paddle mag release on the VP9 and PPQ M1, but most of my guns do have them (most of them are HKs).

Also: HK Parts Ultra Match Kit: $20, is 2 springs (Trigger Return + Sear). Using both may get your trigger pull down 2 pounds to around 3.5 pounds. But, I've found the trigger reset much lazier and less forceful/tactile. Some say using just the sear spring + stock TRS will get you down 1 pound to 4.5 (PPQ territory), which I might just have to try next.

Both are good guns, depends on which little nuances you prefer. Personally, I like the hammer fired HKs more. The VP9 was my first H&K, and I went into it wanting a USP. And I still want a USP.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: HK VP9 vs. Walther PPQ M2

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I meant the VP9, not the P9. It's good hearing others experience, and I know this is largely going to end up a matter of personal preference. Grip ergonomics, trigger takeup and breaks, you can't much more subjective than that. Still I value the perspective of others.

Before the VP9's release, I bought a PPQ M2 and have had little time to shoot it. In the past, I've owned and loved HK pistols . . . well, I owned but did not love my VP70z. So, I'd be curious to try a VP9 some time to see if I liked it appreciably better than the PPQ.

(Bucks County)

I'm in Bucks too. I have 3 HKs... VP9, P2000SK 9mm, and an USPfs .45 in stainless. Although I personally prefer hammer-fired, my VP9 is accurate as hell, and my full-size carry when possible!
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

(Berks County)

I can only speak to the PPQ. Probably the best trigger of striker fired guns. Very short reset. To me, the grip is excellent, but the feel of any handgun is highly subjective. Accurate and reliable. The only issue I've ever had was with some Freedom Munitions remanufactured rounds not chambering. That was the ammo though because some cases were ever so slightly bulged. I only mention that because the same ammo did function in 2 Glocks and a Sig, so maybe the Walther chamber is a bit tighter. But again, that is the only ammo I had trouble with.

(Butler County)

Own a VP9, shot a PPQ (M1).

The PPQ has a slightly better trigger. However, either is the absolute cat's ass relative to just about any other of the big striker fired polymer guns (ergo, the difference between the VP9 trigger and the PPQ trigger is .25 on a scale of 1 to 10, whereas the difference between a Glock and either of them is like 2 to 9).

The ergonomics of either are vastly superior to any other polymer gun I've shot in terms of pointability and controllability, at least for me. This was evident enough to me that once I found the side panel and backstrap combo that worked on the VP9, I was shooting it as well within a couple of hundred rounds as I have my Gen 3 G19 which I have owned for 16+ years (and have 30k+ rounds through). I do echo the sentiment about the slide release on either--I shoot high thumbs and am still working on deprogramming the grip not to ride the left-side release on the VP9.

I'm not a fan on the paddle mag release. But the rest of the gun's shootability overcomes this for me. I'll adapt.

Mags for both are more expensive than they need to be (largely due to a supply scarcity, methinks).

I switched my EDC (when I can do more than a .32 in the pocket) from a G19/26 combo of about 15 years to the VP9 and have not looked back. For a striker fired gun, it's sublime to shoot. As is the Walther, but the ergos of the HK were just enough to get me to lean that way over the walther's superior trigger.

You can't make a bad choice here, really.

(Bucks County)

Great insight from everyone. Thanks, everybody, for sharing. Loving the info.

Quote Originally Posted by djeuch View Post
    I'm in Bucks too. I have 3 HKs... VP9, P2000SK 9mm, and an USPfs .45 in stainless. Although I personally prefer hammer-fired, my VP9 is accurate as hell, and my full-size carry when possible!
    Of all the guns that I've sold/traded, the one I miss the most is my HK P2000SK. :-)

I live between Newtown and Doylestown, not far from Wicen's. I hope to meet more shooters in Bucks.