Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Subdivisions Under "Firearms"

Small, inconsequential point, but to me, and probably others, "Pistols" connotes semi-automatic platforms and excludes revolvers. Why not just title it "Handguns"?

Just my $.02

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Subdivisions Under "Firearms"

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    Small, inconsequential point, but to me, and probably others, "Pistols" connotes semi-automatic platforms and excludes revolvers. Why not just title it "Handguns"?

Just my $.02

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Who ever uses "pistol" to mean semi-auto's is plainly incorrect. A pistol is a firearm designed to be held and fired with a single hand. Only Americans use it to mean semi-autos, and below is why.

The modern day use of "pistol" to connote semi-auto or other handguns with barrels that incorporate a chamber is an anti-gun term, just like "Assault Weapon". It was created back when the NFA was being considered. They knew there would be a shitstorm if all handguns would endup on the NFA, so they created the "pistol" definition in attempt to ban semi-auto handguns, while leaving revolvers alone.

The true definition of a pistol is this:

n.

"small hand-held firearm," 1570s, from Middle French pistole "short firearm" (1566), of uncertain origin, sometimes said to be from German Pistole, from Czech pis'tala "firearm," literally "tube, pipe," from pisteti "to whistle," of imitative origin, related to Russian pischal "shepherd's pipe."

But earlier English form pistolet (1550) is said to be from Middle French pistolet "a small firearm," also "a small dagger," which may be the literal sense; though some connect this word with Italian pistolese, in reference to Pistoia, town in Tuscany noted for gunsmithing. Pistol-whip (v.) is first recorded 1942.

Not to mention, all revolvers were called pistols long before semi-auto's were even thought of. Revolver is short for "revolving pistol".

Pistol = handgun just like car = automobile.
    Last edited by knight0334; February 15th, 2016 at 12:35 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Interesting detail Knight. I had read this some years ago but appreciate the refresher. Thanks for sharing.

(Berks County)

In that case we need

Domestic guns that are not long guns

and

Foreign guns that are not long guns

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post

Just my $.02

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Better yet;

A. revolvers
    B. semi auto handguns