Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default SCCY tips and tricks?

So, I saw a SCCY (pronounced Sky for those unfamiliar) 9mm at a very reasonable price ($249) at Oaks and bought it. OK, it was an impulse buy of sorts, I prefer hammer-fired, double-action for carry and there are few of those on the market in 9mm. I then did a retrospective search on reviews only to find that they are mixed. A couple of reviews described their sample as going from passable to bad very quickly (FTEs mostly), while others waxed poetic about an affordable and reliable carry piece. As I gear up to breaking this thing in (and hopefully not just breaking it), any tips from those who already own one of these? Any ammo recommendations? Ordinary or extraordinary cleaning and lubing? Any and all information is appreciated.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

Default Re: SCCY tips and tricks?

Clean pistol, load pistol, fire pistol.
    Repeat steps 2 and 3 many times. When completed repeat step 1.
    Last edited by Hodgie; February 14th, 2016 at 12:43 PM.

DO NOT use +p or similar ammo. mine fed starfire, hydroshocks, and zmax without problem

(Montgomery County)

The SCCY CPX is not terribly unlike the KelTec P11. Give it the same kind of Fluff n Buff.

(Cumberland County)

I don't shoot mine often but have never had any issue of any kind! I had one of the original ones, and the safety design was bad so I sent it back finally to have the bypass put in and while there they upgraded just about everything on the pistol no charge. Great service dept.. Enjoy!

(Northampton County)

We have two of them (CPX2) that have been flawless through 500ish rounds each.

115,124,147's.

Lots of brands/bullet styles.

Biggest thing is to make sure the trigger fully resets or you will pull on nothing.

We had zero gun related malfunctions. Only user error.

One was the aforementioned reset. Wife limp wristed one shot.
    Another was when my thumb rode the slide stop and locked open mid magazine.

I feel it's a good gun for the money. I've shot worse triggers for more money (cough, LC9, cough, P250, cough).

They are accurate(can dump a mag at 25 feet and keep em all on a dinner sized paper plate..

15oz and 10+1 that can be easily carried in most slash cut pockets? Using the flat mag floorplates of course. The extended ones are worthless IMO...no added capacity but a bigger footprint. No thanks. Besides it's only a 9mm. Two finger grip is enough.

I like mine. Great value.

(Delaware County)

thanks to all who answered. Will try to clean, lube, and take it to the range this weekend.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

I have over 700 rounds thru my CPX2. Do NOT use +P as stated. (SCCY says you can use +P for limited shooting but just avoid it totally). I would also use only brass in it. Once you get the hang of the 7+ lb long trigger pull, they are very accurate at personal defense distances. The most accurate factory load for mine is the Winchester Personal Protection 115gr JHP. The worst accuracy was the 250 round bulk packs of UMC 115gr FMJ.
    On a new gun, open the slide then load your magazine. You effectively limit yourself to the 10 in the magazine but some owners have had issues out of the box when forcing a fully loaded mag in the gun in battery. The OM has a tidbit on it though I have no issues doing so now that it has been broken in.
    SCCY has great customer service and good turn-around on issues that require a return. I have had no cycling issues with it since new. As Armor Snail stated.........great value!
    Practice, practice, practice!!!

(Lehigh County)

I've owned a CPX-2 for over a year. Customer Service is top notch. A little while back, the gun was doing some strange things. Basically, it wasn't resetting and it would pull off a surprise shot now and then. In other words, the gun would fire while pressing the trigger blade maybe a quarter of the way back. I contacted SCCY and they gave me a label to send it in for service. Turn around was less than a week. The return paperwork said that the repair was "Recoil Rod, Extractor, Cam." The gun was flawless before that and has been since that. Right out of the box it was very accurate. In the cold months, I carry it OWB and it's outfitted with an ArmaLaser. I dig the laser. It has an auto on with the touch of your skin to the sensor that sits under the trigger guard.