Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default B New Tanfoglio Witness Match .45

Yeaa...finally I got my very first handgun. But, now what should I do? I know I know you will say "go to the range and squeeze the trigger". I've read on the internet many people suggest to completely clean and lubing it. But I need help here; what will be the very good "things" to clean this steel gun, what tools (maybe a cleaning tool set??), and then, what oil/grease/ combination/chemical is very good for this steel gun? I assume I'll keep this gun for the next 10K years...Please give me some advice? And another thing; is snap caps good to dry fire practice? Good/bad about it?

(Centre County)

Default Re: B New Tanfoglio Witness Match .45

You soumds like total newb with guns.
    I'd suggest YouTube(Assuming that you read manual that comes with weapon from cover to cover) for some instructional video on how to field strip for initial clean.
    Also, it wouldn't be bad idea to go back to store where you bought the weapon and ask them to suggest you some cleaning products/methods
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Philadelphia County)

It is newb. I bought it from Bgunshop online.

(Lackawanna County)

I second the Youtube suggestion. Go and watch several how-to clean/lube pistol videos. You'll catch on soon enough about what is needed. Snap caps are a fine idea. Especially if you don't have experience with the functioning of a semi-auto. Be safe and good luck!

(Philadelphia County)

Thank you will do. I just want to get some suggestions here before the youtube or other forums. Thanks again..

(Bucks County)

I use a can of Rem-Oil for general cleaning. I use either Hoppes gun oil or any brand gun grease in a syringe for lubrication. I rarely shoot unjacketed lead bullets so a bore snake is sufficient for the barrel.

For your gun I'd spray it all down with Rem-oil then wipe it off. I'd sparingly grease or oil the rails and the underside of the slide that rides the hammer and a touch on the outside of the barrel. Run the bore snake through the barrel a couple of times.

Shoot it and repeat
    Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

(Allegheny County)

Good advice above, there are videos on Youtube that show takedown of the Tanfoglio Witness .45, as with anything on Youtube, Caveat Emptor. The gun appears to have a reasonably easy takedown but I would follow the advice to take it back to the place you purchased it (during a slow time) and ask them to show you the breakdown. Better yet, if you have any friends or acquaintances familiar with semi-auto handguns, ask them to show you. The group I shoot with always welcomes new shooters, in general you will find that to be common. I see you are in Philadelphia, if you are renting range time tell the Range Safety Officer this is your first time with a handgun and ask for help.

You state this is your first handgun, if that equates to first gun then please get safety training before shooting. The NRA Basic Pistol course covers safety, cleaning and shooting, I strongly recommend it.

As for cleaning, a basic cleaning kit (here is a link to the one many start with, http://www.hoppes.com/cleaning-kits/...d-cleaning-kit, check local sporting good stores for sales), bore snake, and lube will cover you (for now).

Welcome to handguns.

1)Read the owners manual, especially about the rules of safe gun handling. Go to walmart, get a basic gun cleaning kit and some Break free Powder Blaster and Hoppes No.9 bench rest copper solvent cleaner, some Superlube and CLP. Get some snap caps too if they have them. DO NOT BUY BULLETS AT THIS TIME
    2) Take the gun to a clean well lit work area with good ventilation. spread out an old towel to work on and get a small dish or a magnet to hold small parts. Read the rules on safe gun handling in the manual
    3) Make sure the gun is not loaded by removing the magazine and cycling the slide back, locking it back with the slide catch.
    3) Examine the chamber, there should not be a bullet case visible in the chamber.
    4 ) shine a small flashlight from the muzzle down the barrel, the light should be visible from the breech looking at an angle tward he front of the pistol. If the light is not visible, stop you might have an obstruction and you need to take it to someone with experience removing obstructions.
    5) dis assemble according to instructions in the manual. Should be a small take down notch and a button looking pin on the right hand side of the pistol. Push this pin out and place it in a small dish or on a magnet (You can lose these smaller pieces)
    6) take the slide off by pushing forward. Note the position of the operating spring and rod on the barrel.
    7) remove the spring and barrel
    8)Brush clean the barrel with the hoppes no.9 .wipe down the rails in the slide and on the frame with a small cloth sprayed with powder blaster. Let dry thoroughly. Re-read the rules of safe gun handling while the barrel is drying
    9) Spray the action inside the frame with the powder blaster,to the point where it drips out the magazine well. let dry thoroughly. You can use a can of computer cleaner to blow out the action. Re read the rules of safe gun handling (I'm serious as a heart attack, memorize them like its your Mom', wife and kids birthdays, because this is some serious shit right here)
    10) spray the action lightly with CLP inside the fame.
    11) use a slight amount of superlube on all mating surfaces of the slide and frame, enough to leave a thin film.
    12) re assemble and allow to dry thoroughly.
    13)Read the rules on safe gun handling while the pistol is drying. write them out by hand word for word.
    14) Put a snap cap in the empty magazine, and chamber the sanp cap.(make sure its a red snap cap) put the safety on.
    15) re read the rules of safe gun handling. Have a target on the wall in a safe direction. take off the safety and pull the trigger. drop the magazine and cycle and clear the chamber of the snap cap. Do this 100x
    16) Read the rules on safe gun handling set up some range time with a friend familiar with guns, read the army pistol marksmanship manual, found here http://www.saveourguns.com/Ar_Marks_...rain_Guide.pdf
    17) go to wallmart and buy some cartridges for your pistol.At leats 200 rounds. shoot the hell out of it.
    18) If the gun functions perfectly and theres no problems hitting the target then you have a winner,
    19) My eaa witness was shooting 6" high, and there were no elevation adjustment. I had to purchase the target sights and fit them to my pistol so it would hit Point of aim.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Centre County)

I like buds, but if your first time gun buyer, they may not be the best place to go, because you cant ask questions.
    With that being said, you can get basic inexpensive handgun cleaner kit at Walmart that include all the basics you need(just make sure it covers .45cal)

Like this
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hoppe-s-Un...g-Kit/44439116

Since you have all metal gun, you can get yourself a gunblas, aerosol type cleaner, and just blast it away(be sure to remove the grip panel tho).
    But other then your basic field strip(separate gun to its core componets - Barrel, frame, slide, recoil assembly.

Your Tanfoglio Witness Match .45 is variant of CZ75 style weapon. So any of their field strip video should work
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz9WFXuW65E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x5BFJ9VMh4
    (Jump to 1:31 if you want to skip the intro)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aPYSnIAP8o
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStull View Post
    Good advice above, there are videos on Youtube that show takedown of the Tanfoglio Witness .45, as with anything on Youtube, Caveat Emptor. The gun appears to have a reasonably easy takedown but I would follow the advice to take it back to the place you purchased it (during a slow time) and ask them to show you the breakdown. Better yet, if you have any friends or acquaintances familiar with semi-auto handguns, ask them to show you. The group I shoot with always welcomes new shooters, in general you will find that to be common. I see you are in Philadelphia, if you are renting range time tell the Range Safety Officer this is your first time with a handgun and ask for help.

You state this is your first handgun, if that equates to first gun then please get safety training before shooting. The NRA Basic Pistol course covers safety, cleaning and shooting, I strongly recommend it.

As for cleaning, a basic cleaning kit (here is a link to the one many start with, http://www.hoppes.com/cleaning-kits/...d-cleaning-kit, check local sporting good stores for sales), bore snake, and lube will cover you (for now).

Welcome to handguns.
    Thank you for the good advice; I've read several posts on the "training" forum here, there are some classes about it, but I only found one that offer for FREE the basic and safety gun training at Montco by its sheriff and it is ONLY for its residents. Would someone share the info if they have the basic gun and safety courses anywhere near Philadelphia (for free if any...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast