Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Transporting AR15 to range

Just recently got my first AR15.

I'm clear about not having a loaded long rifle in a vehicle. My range is a family-owned, large homestead out in the sticks, so I'm not going to a public range or anything.

My preference would be to load the magazines the night or day before so I'm not goofing around at the range. I then would just put the magazines in their pockets for transport.

Rifle case is similar to the attached. Am I allowed to do this or do the magazines have to be either unloaded or stored in a separate container?

gun case.jpg

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Transporting AR15 to range

Whether the magazines are loaded or unloaded is immaterial as long as the ammunition is in a separate container from the rifle, which they would be in individual pouches, and the rifle is unloaded.

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
    (b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not
    apply to:
    (4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with a
    firearm, if such persons are at or are going to or from their
    places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to
    or from their places of assembly or target practice, the
    firearm is not loaded.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Whether the magazines are loaded or unloaded is immaterial as long as the ammunition is in a separate container from the rifle, which they would be in individual pouches, and the rifle is unloaded.

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
    (b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not
    apply to:
    (4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with a
    firearm, if such persons are at or are going to or from their
    places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to
    or from their places of assembly or target practice, the
    firearm is not loaded.
    I believe that section applies to "firearms" which, under PA law, are only handguns and SBRs/SBSs. You do not need a license to transport long guns (going to a range or not). Not sure if this holds with Philadelphia though.

But yes, there is another statue about no loaded long guns.

To answer the original question, the case you have pictured is fine. Loaded magazines in a separate compartment of a case is acceptable to still be an unloaded rifle and is within the law.

(Jefferson County)

Loaded has its own definition. And so long as any loaded magazines are in a separate container, and the gun itself is empty - it is not "loaded".

The case pictured will suffice for the law if you intend to transport loaded detachable magazines.

18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6102
    § 6102. Definitions

“Loaded.” A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or, in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm. If the magazine is inserted into a pouch, holder, holster or other protective device that provides for a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition, then the pouch, holder, holster or other protective device shall be deemed to be a separate compartment.

Lose or boxed ammo does not have to be separated in Pennsylvania. You can legally duct tape ammo to the gun and it would not be a violation of the law. The gun has to either have ammo in the chamber(s) or in a fixed magazine. Or in the case of guns that use detachable magazines, the loaded magazines have to be in the same compartment as the gun itself to be considered loaded.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Thanks everyone. I just wanted to be sure. The rifle itself will never have ammo in it while in transport.

I'll have to try the duct tape method at some point!

(Allegheny County)

§ 6106.1. Carrying loaded weapons other than firearms.
    (a) General rule.--Except as provided in Title 34 (relating to game), no person shall carry a loaded pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle, other than a firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to definitions), in any vehicle. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the requirement of a license to carry firearms under section 6106(b)(1), (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) nor shall the provisions of this section be construed to permit persons to carry firearms in a vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106.
    As an FYI here is why you cannot carry "loaded weapons other than firearms" in any vehicle and that includes rifles and shotguns.

This question has been asked allot before. Many times pertaining to someone wanting a rifle to be as close to ready to use as legally possible. You could go with loaded mags in a range bag if you did not want to buy that type or rifle case. So long as you are following the definition of "loaded" that has already been quoted.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Loaded has its own definition. And so long as any loaded magazines are in a separate container, and the gun itself is empty - it is not "loaded".

The case pictured will suffice for the law if you intend to transport loaded detachable magazines.

18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6102
    § 6102. Definitions

“Loaded.” A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or, in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm. If the magazine is inserted into a pouch, holder, holster or other protective device that provides for a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition, then the pouch, holder, holster or other protective device shall be deemed to be a separate compartment.

Lose or boxed ammo does not have to be separated in Pennsylvania. You can legally duct tape ammo to the gun and it would not be a violation of the law. The gun has to either have ammo in the chamber(s) or in a fixed magazine. Or in the case of guns that use detachable magazines, the loaded magazines have to be in the same compartment as the gun itself to be considered loaded.

Good answer. My rep spelling was awful.

Just gone clear to the OP. The loaded mags would need to be in the obvious mag pouches, & those pouxhes would need to be closed. So you can't tuck the flap behind the mag for "faster access", or use a similar bag that does not have a flag on the mag pouches.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Ammo does not have to be in a separate container. Only loaded mags (or separate compartment thereof). You can take a box, fill it halfway with ammo, throw your rifle in the box, then cover it with ammo and fill the box up and it will be legal.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Ammo does not have to be in a separate container. Only loaded mags (or separate compartment thereof). You can take a box, fill it halfway with ammo, throw your rifle in the box, then cover it with ammo and fill the box up and it will be legal.
    That sounds a bit "cluttery" though. That's like one of those "you can do this, but you probably shouldn't anyways" kind of things.

Besides, you gotta be getting through a few unfun events to where a cop is looking through your stuff discovering your rifle in a bag full of ammo in it.

(Northampton County)

Faster access?

Mags in your pockets. Rifle on passenger seat.

You're welcome.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast