Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Ltcf expired/but renewed

My Ltcf expired on the 8th, I already went down and did all the paper work. I was supposed to pick it up yesterday (the 12th) but I am unable to get back to the sheriff's office until the 19th.

So my question is, since I have my expired card, but it's been renewed, but I don't have the renewed card, should avoid cc'ing til I can pick my card up?

Hokkmike Guest

Default Re: Ltcf expired/but renewed

If it's expired - yes.

Our sheriff's office always sends the renewal form two months early. No uncovered period.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    My Ltcf expired on the 8th, I already went down and did all the paper work. I was supposed to pick it up yesterday (the 12th) but I am unable to get back to the sheriff's office until the 19th.

So my question is, since I have my expired card, but it's been renewed, but I don't have the renewed card, should avoid cc'ing til I can pick my card up?
    There is what is frequently but inaccurately called a "grace period" after your license expires. More accurately, you meet an exception to the licensing requirement under 18 Pa.C.S. § 6106 (b).
    (12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.
    Since your new license is ready to pick up you know you're eligible for renewal.

Caveats: if you run into an officer who demands your license there's a chance you might meet an ignorant one who doesn't know about the exception or wants to give you a hard time. More importantly, depending on whether or not the license that's waiting for you to pick up is considered valid at this point (it might be, but I'm not sure) you might not be technically legal to carry in federally-defined school zones (since you must hold a license from the state containing the primary or secondary school in order to legally carry in a school zone).
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Dauphin County)

That's another question, is my Ltcf that is ready to be picked up valid only while in my possession?

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    That's another question, is my Ltcf that is ready to be picked up valid only while in my possession?
    You are supposed to be able to produce it upon lawful demand. But it's valid for the entire period that it's valid, whether or not it's on your person. But I'm not sure whether it is considered issued if it hasn't been furnished to you yet.

§ 6122. Proof of license and exception.
    (a) General rule.--When carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle, an individual licensed to carry a firearm shall, upon lawful demand of a law enforcement officer, produce the license for inspection. Failure to produce such license either at the time of arrest or at the preliminary hearing shall create a rebuttable presumption of nonlicensure.

(Dauphin County)

Thank you twency, I think that was ultimately the answer I was looking for.

(Bucks County)

I think semantics is confusing the status. To "hold" a license would mean that you have one (or, that one exists). Whether it is in your hand, in your wallet, in a glove compartment, in your home desk or dresser drawer, or in the deputy sheriff's desk drawer.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I think semantics is confusing the status. To "hold" a license would mean that you have one (or, that one exists). Whether it is in your hand, in your wallet, in a glove compartment, in your home desk or dresser drawer, or in the deputy sheriff's desk drawer.
    More importantly is when or if the LTCF was updated in the system

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    More importantly is when or if the LTCF was updated in the system
    This is more what I was trying to get at. Even if the sheriff's office says the license is "ready to pick up" they could be using shorthand for "ready for us to issue when you come in". It's probably safe to assume you've been approved based on that info, but not necessarily safe to assume there's a valid physical license with your name on it sitting in the sheriff's office (and a matching database entry in the system).

(Allegheny County)

Some similar threads have come up about the expired licences and carrying without the physical licence being with you. In those instances you could face an arrest and you would have to get a court date to set everything straight. Your firearm would probably be confiscated as well if you where arrested and that can be hard to get back. But in the end you should be covered.

When considering what I wrote above consider that I I'm not a lawyer, do not work in the legal field, and you paid $0.00 for said opinions.

Now weigh all this with the probability that you will have a LEO encounter or an encounter with a criminal. Somewhere in that thought process is your answer.

I just went through my first renewals for PA and UT in 2015 and both of them I did the paperwork the very earliest I could. This would allow time for delays in licence issuance or personal delays. Yes you loose a bit of time on your 5 year licence but the added security of knowing you can minimize the chances of a licence expiring before its renewed is worth it for me.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion