http://www.themovingwall.org/

The Wall will be on display June 9th to 13th at Jim Dietrich Park

4899 Stoudt's Ferry Bridge Road

Muhlenberg Township PA

http://www.co.berks.pa.us/Muni/Muhle...%20Events.aspx
    Last edited by stainless; May 18th, 2016 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Date Change

(Berks County)

Default Re: Vietnam Veterans Memorial Moving Wall

What are the chances you'll bump this closer to the time it'll be here? I'll probably forget about it.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

(Berks County)

I was planing to do that but I am very elderly and forget stuff, like bathing and wiping and things...

It now looks like we will be going. Vacations thus far are scheduled at other times.

(Berks County)

Bumping back up. Mark your calendars. My first post had a wrong date. It has been corrected.

They are looking for volunteers if anyone local has the time. There is a link at the end of the first article.

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-region...cause/39599208

(Berks County)

Update / reminder. It begins this week.

Vietnam Veterans Memorial Moving Wall

June 9th to 13th at Jim Dietrich Park

4899 Stoudt's Ferry Bridge Road

Muhlenberg Township PA

http://www.co.berks.pa.us/Muni/Muhle...%20Events.aspx

(Berks County)

Thank you my friend. I will be sure to take my kids.

(Berks County)

MUHLENBERG TWP., Pa. - Patriotism is on full display in Muhlenberg Township. The Moving Wall, a half-size replica of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington D.C., is now in place, honoring Vietnam vets who made the ultimate sacrifice. "My father is right there," said Ski Bischof, who carried out the first panel. When Bischof was three years old, his father was killed in action. On Thursday, he was one of many volunteers who helped build The Moving Wall. "Honor is not even the word for it. The heartfelt feelings and everything I have is just amazing," he said.

The Moving Wall memorial has been touring the country for more than 30 years. Over the next five days, it will be on display in Jim Dietrich Park on Stoudt's Ferry Bridge Road. The wall may be only half the size of the original, but it is just as powerful.

Rick Weitzel served in Vietnam, and he is proud to have it standing tall in his hometown. "To have this come back here, it's closure for all of us. I think it's real closure for all of us," Weitzel said.

Outlined with American flags and freshly planted flowers, the names of more than 58,000 soldiers stretch down the wall. Sixty-eight are from Berks County, said officials. "What these soldiers went through in Vietnam was the harshest and the worst conditions of any soldier in our history," said Jon Showers, command officer of The Dogs of War Vietnam Living History Group.

Each panel and each name on the wall tells a story. It took months of planning and hard work to bring The Moving Wall to Berks County. "It's a historical moment for Muhlenberg Township and we are very proud of what we can serve our community," said Jamal Abodalo, the township manager. A lot of events are planned over the next few days, which are expected to draw between 20,000 and 50,000 people. The wall is open 24 hours and will be in town through Monday, June 13. There is no charge for admission.

Read more from WFMZ.com at: http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-region...erans/39985044
    Connect with us... Facebook/69WFMZ or @69News

Some photos within link

(Berks County)

MUHLENBERG TWP., Pa. - The Moving Wall has moved on to its next stop, but not before moving thousands of people in Berks County.

Approximately 22,000 visited the half-sized replica of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial during the five days it was set up at Jim Dietrich Park in Muhlenberg Township, according to Karen Schreiber, the township's recreation supervisor.

The wall, with the names of more than 58,000 U.S. soldiers who died during the Vietnam War, was outlined with American flags and freshly planted flowers.

The wall, which has been touring the United States for more than 30 years, will return to Pennsylvania next month, when its set up in Palmerton, Carbon County, July 21-25.

Read more from WFMZ.com at: http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-region...berks/40051568
    Connect with us... Facebook/69WFMZ or @69News

The wife and I went over. The term "moving" is quite appropriate in more than one way.

(Berks County)

I took my boys. My youngest (4) kept asking for a few days after "are some soldiers alive?"
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast