Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • shield 9mm

34 68.00%
  • Kahr cm9

16 32.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kahr CM9 or S&W shield

What the concensus say? I have the CM9 and ordered a shield 9mm which would you keep if you only could one? I'll prolly keep both but just trolling a bit ...

(Chester County)

Default Re: Kahr CM9 or S&W shield

I haven't fired a kahr. I'm a trigger snob so it would come down to that. Personally the shield is too thin for my liking and it moves in my hand when I pull the trigger. I rather have a m&p 9c
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

Well I'm sure you know by now I'm a Shield guy but I do have a lot of range time with the PM9. My brother has owned one for some time and used to carry it as a back up in his vest. At the time he purchased it was the smallest most reliable 9mm on the market.

Khar makes the DAO trigger that people actually enjoy shooting with very smooth with a nice crisp break each and every time. I had a CW9 as my 1st CCW and it was very enjoyable to shoot with the same trigger feel and weight as the pM9. This all being said the PM9 is small in every way except for recoil which can ware on you after awhile. When the flush fit magazine is inserted there's not much real estate on that grip for me and I have small hands for my size. With the extended grip inserted it offers a bit more but the bumper or extension in the bottom is not a flush fit with the grip and is kind of awkward feeling and looking.

Sights are a PITA to replace on the CW9/CM9 were the strait 8's which I didn't care for and at the time could not easily or affordably be upgraded. The PM comes with upgraded nights sites from the start but also comes in at $250.00 more then the CM series and $200-$225.00 more then the shield.

Over all its an excellent pistol in a very small snappy(recoil) package if you don't have to have the smallest 9mm on the market with a DAO trigger then I personally believe the Shield is a better gun in all ways, and I would also put the G43 above the CM9.

Last edited by Hodgie; February 11th, 2016 at 05:11 PM.

(Lancaster County)

The Smith comes with two magazines, Kahr has one and they are close in price.
    I've also read that Kahr service can be iffy if you were to ever need it.
    Unless size is critical, I'd go with the Smith. Truthfully, either would serve you well.

(Montgomery County)

Glock 43, toss a +2 on the pinky extension mag and you're set.

I've already got a cm9 with an extra mag and Garrett silent thunder, my ordered shield just got into my lgs as they called me the other day. I've had a shield in the past and like it but I'm not sure it's worth what it brings to the table over my cm9. I fired a G43 last weekend and while it wasn't bad it didn't fit my hand well and bounced around a bit and the grip angle is more pronounced than other glocks.
    As for kahrs cs I needed a rear sight and they sent me one no charge and I explained to them I bought it used and I installed it in less then 5 minutes myself.
    I guess if I had to choose a better built gun the shield would be it but I don't think the cm9 is not up to par, I'll prolly just buy the shield and have both for a while til I decide...

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrane2028 View Post
    Glock 43, toss a +2 on the pinky extension mag and you're set.
    That didn't take long
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I've already got a cm9 with an extra mag and Garrett silent thunder, my ordered shield just got into my lgs as they called me the other day. I've had a shield in the past and like it but I'm not sure it's worth what it brings to the table over my cm9. I fired a G43 last weekend and while it wasn't bad it didn't fit my hand well and bounced around a bit and the grip angle is more pronounced than other glocks.
    As for kahrs cs I needed a rear sight and they sent me one no charge and I explained to them I bought it used and I installed it in less then 5 minutes myself.
    I guess if I had to choose a better built gun the shield would be it but I don't think the cm9 is not up to par, I'll prolly just buy the shield and have both for a while til I decide...
    What it comes down to is compromise. Every carry gun no matter what is a compromise of some sort. The Shields pros out weigh it's negatives at lest for me. The CM/PM9 was the same way for those looking for a 9mm in the smallest package possible until the current pocket/Single stack 9mm market caught up to Khar.

We all have different needs and are typically willing to make those compromises to meet them. My biggest need is haveing the most shootable 9mm pistol with good sights in the smallest package. If I can't get a good purchase on it and easily control that recoil then I don't want it as a carry gun. The Shield happens to fit that roll for me and the G43 comes in 2nd to it.

If ones need was having to have the most concealable 9mm pistol possible which is important at time then the CM/PM9 wins that category.

Choose and carry what you like and works for you.

(Butler County)

I have shot both before I bough the kahr, both shot good but I liked the trigger pull on the kahr and the fact that the kahr is smaller. as for sights, I really don't thank that will become a problem if and when the time comes for you to use it, chances are you will be very close and aiming will be useless. these type of firearms are not made for target shooting, they are made to conceal and the one you can hid the easiest is the one you will carry the most...
    Last edited by kenjen; February 13th, 2016 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenjen View Post
    I have shoot both before I bough the kahr, both shot good but I liked the trigger pull on the kahr and the fact that the kahr is smaller. as for sights, I really don't thank that will become a problem if and when the time comes for you to use it, chances are you will be very close and aiming will be useless. these type of firearms are not made for target shooting they are made to conceal and the one you can hid the easiest is the one you will carry the most...

The whole these types of firearms were not made to use at the range is a blown theory. Both the round and the pistol will do it's job the problem is the shooter who is inefficient with the pistol. The sights on the Khar a more then capable there are very few replacement options and they used to be a real PITA to change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast