Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Great American Outdoors Show

Who has attended? I'm planning to go Friday and probably spend most of the day. I have a number of shopping list items so I need to pull up the show map and identify where the vendors I want to see are located. I need a new single point AR sling, one or two IWB holsters, maybe find a new Lake Ontario charter for salmon or trout...

Since the mayor of Harrisburg denied city police the opportunity to work the show security who is covering? I saw a Capitol Police Dept SUV parked at the main entrance when I drove by this morning but no other presence. Are they checking bags? Walking attendees through metal detectors? Wanding?

(Perry County)

Default Re: Great American Outdoors Show

There yesterday. All lawful carry is OK. I saw a few surrounding area PDs inside. Didn't pay much attention other than a few different patches, I know I saw a Penbrook officer.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Washington County)

A company posted on FB they had an SBR stolen off of their table before they could get everything locked down. That sucks.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Bucks County)

please report on how the show is. it makes its way over here soon, and, the wife and daughter would like to go. (we like to fish, and always enjoy the birds of prey)
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Since the mayor of Harrisburg denied city police the opportunity to work the show security who is covering? I saw a Capitol Police Dept SUV parked at the main entrance when I drove by this morning but no other presence. Are they checking bags? Walking attendees through metal detectors? Wanding?
    I went Saturday and the past 2 years as well.

As far as security goes - pretty much none. No bag checks; no metal detectors, no wands. Just hand in your ticket, and you walk right in. I brought my backpack with me, had no issues.

Honestly though, I didn't see much police presence there (at least on the uniformed side). Only time I saw police, was over at Mark's booth with the theft ordeal. I remember from years past seeing uniformed officers evenly dispersed in the firearms hall; not so much this year.

The funny part is, the Fraternal Order of Police is filing $95k in grievances due to the lack of Capital PD being able to work the show

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    A company posted on FB they had an SBR stolen off of their table before they could get everything locked down. That sucks.
    Yeah, Precision Firearms. I was there that day. I must have walked by after the fact since Capitol PD was at Mark's booth getting statements, etc. Although to be fair, it was only a matter of time until it happened - particularly regarding the way he has his booth set up. Very easy to walk right off with one - as he very well saw.

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    please report on how the show is. it makes its way over here soon, and, the wife and daughter would like to go. (we like to fish, and always enjoy the birds of prey)
    In what regards are you asking about? In terms of the fishing section - I don't fish much, but walked through the hall with my friend. It's practically all just charter services.

Now the shooting/firearms hall was awesome this year (slightly better than last). Maybe I just missed out, but this year a lot of the manufacturers had free swag to give away. A lot of great companies out here this year - starting to see a lot more of the high end AR companies come out (ie: CMC Triggers, Geissele/ALG had a much bigger booth). And Magpul, as always, had a killer booth. This is just naming a few of the booths. If anyone's interested in bullpups, I'd highly recommend you go and check out IWI's booth. Their next gen rifle, the X95, is going to make a killing (go see for yourself )

Also had a chance to see Janna Reeves and TacTissy again. That's always a plus.

Now take that with a grain of salt. I came there with the sole intention of networking with the firearms industry reps. So to me, it was very well worth the show. I'm personally not all that interested in the hunting, fishing, etc remaining halls they had. So I may not be the best to answer that if that's what you're looking for.

(Montgomery County)

This show does not move, it is not a "gun" show. Probably more like the consumer electronics show, manufacturers set up booths, but no guns are sold (at least that's how it was last year). Plenty of outdoor guides selling trips and stuff. Great event. I am going Saturday.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    This show does not move, it is not a "gun" show. Probably more like the consumer electronics show, manufacturers set up booths, but no guns are sold (at least that's how it was last year). Plenty of outdoor guides selling trips and stuff. Great event. I am going Saturday.
    Ah yes - that's the thing.

This isn't a "show" per se; it's more of a convention if you will. At least for the firearms industry - it's a place where the companies come out - and it basically serves as an industry day (meet and greet). Imagine SHOT show - but only as a meet and great.

Yeah, not sure what you are referring to but this is a onetime event held annually in Harrisburg. This is the event that took the place of the Eastern Sports and Outdoors Show.

(Bucks County)

^^^^ there's going to be an outdoor show at oaks end of the month. figure the same exhibitors hawking wares.

trying to find out if any exhibitors are offering anything new to catch fisherman (let's be honest...you can catch fish with popcorn, sewing thread and a safety pin....the lures really catch us)
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

^^^^ there's going to be an outdoor show at oaks end of the month. figure the same exhibitors hawking wares.

trying to find out if any exhibitors are offering anything new to catch fisherman (let's be honest...you can catch fish with popcorn, sewing thread and a safety pin....the lures really catch us)
    You may see some of the same vendors but not too many. This show will draw fishing vendors from PA and surrounding states but it will also have the guy sell great white shark fishing off the Aussie coast, native trout trips along the American River to the headwaters in the Sierra Vistas, kayaking the Amazon....

And yes, there will be a lots of vendors selling the latest shiny lure that fish are guaranteed to bite.
    Last edited by MT1; February 10th, 2016 at 08:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast