Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Worst Case Scenario Home Defense Plans?

I had a really fucked up dream last night so today I moved all of my guns into the bedroom along with some extra ammunition. The dream was that I had someone with a knife break in and attack us, I went to shoot him with my 930 but it didn't work for some reason. It just made a toy gun sound ... so based on that clearly rational and reality-based criteria, my 590 is in HD gun position for now. Needless to say, we both died in the dream and I woke up feeling grossly unprepared. Well, my wife and I need a plan so here it is. She will retreat to the closet with our AR-15, I will take position facing the hallway behind the bed. My brother-in-law suggested a safe word for her to know to take her finger off the trigger if I need to retreat. What other suggestions do you fellows have? I already figured that she and I are forward of one another's line of fire BUT she would only need to fire if I'm already dead or I've retreated to her position. Also, we're far enough to the other's right that I would consider it safe. I'm considering putting the rifle in her closet so she can get to it easier. It's in the trunk at the foot of our bed now so she would grab it on the way to the closet. Thoughts?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Worst Case Scenario Home Defense Plans?

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    ...Thoughts?
    My plan, should the dog go nuts and it appear someone has broken in and is downstairs:

- I toss a flash-bang down the stairs, cover my ears, and let it go off

- I wait to see if there is any movement/sound. If there is, I stand at ready in the bathroom at the top of the stairs and shoot at anything I see coming up the stairs.

If there is no noise, I turn the dog loose down the stairs and wait for her report.

(Chester County)

A flash bang? That's badass.

(Bucks County)

I had a really fucked up dream last night so today I moved all of my guns into the bedroom along with some extra ammunition. The dream was that I had someone with a knife break in and attack us, I went to shoot him with my 930 but it didn't work for some reason. It just made a toy gun sound ... so based on that clearly rational and reality-based criteria, my 590 is in HD gun position for now. Needless to say, we both died in the dream and I woke up feeling grossly unprepared. Well, my wife and I need a plan so here it is. She will retreat to the closet with our AR-15, I will take position facing the hallway behind the bed. My brother-in-law suggested a safe word for her to know to take her finger off the trigger if I need to retreat. What other suggestions do you fellows have? I already figured that she and I are forward of one another's line of fire BUT she would only need to fire if I'm already dead or I've retreated to her position. Also, we're far enough to the other's right that I would consider it safe. I'm considering putting the rifle in her closet so she can get to it easier. It's in the trunk at the foot of our bed now so she would grab it on the way to the closet. Thoughts?
    Wait, you taught your wife to KEEP her finger on the trigger? It's been nice knowing you. She's gonna blow a hole in your chest big enough to throw a cat through the first time the dog barks during a high-stress situation!

(Allegheny County)

First suggestion is to teach your wife to NOT put her finger on the trigger in a high stress situation.

ETA beat by a couple minutes^^^
    Last edited by arjohnson; February 9th, 2016 at 11:27 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Wait, you taught your wife to KEEP her finger on the trigger? It's been nice knowing you. She's gonna blow a hole in your chest big enough to throw a cat through the first time the dog barks during a high-stress situation!

How big of a cat we talking ??

big cat.jpg

(Chester County)

Did a quick internet search and didn't find any solid awnsers I trust, are flashbangs NFA (DD's)?

(Montgomery County)

I would have said instead of changing HD guns, just bring your 930 to the range and test fire if you must convince yourself.

Spoiler alert, it will work just fine.

Dreams are not reality. However it's good to be prepared and reinvigorate your mindset.

(Bucks County)

Well, that settles that one. The one about if you dream you died, you die in your sleep.

(Chester County)

OK, let's get this straight first. Dreams are unfinished thoughts from the day. Your dreams tell you what you have been thinking about usually in a graphic and vivid way. Those thoughts are ones that may not have been resolved. Do not let your emotions about dreams make you act irrationally and over react. Take the time to sit down with your wife and discuss what it is you need to do in case of a break in. Practice, your actions as you have mentioned but don't make bad decisions because of a vivid dream. I'm no expert or anything like that but I can tell you I have had the same type of dream numerous times when I believed I needed to use a firearm and I pulled the trigger nothing happened just as it did to you. I don't understand what my brain is trying to accomplish with these thoughts but it's there. I double check my procedures but I don't let dreams alter my rational thinking. I've had quite a few very dramatic dreams wake me up with the "hokey smokes that was just a dream" with eyes wide open and wondering WTF was that all about. Dreams are what they are, awake and alive is being rational and planning ahead for an emergency. Some training on home defense I believe is called for and that's just my suggestion.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast