Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default 2 new restorations

First a Stevens 12ga break open. Best guess is it was made about 1905. Some asschunk carved the stock and painted it with rattlecan. No value in trying to find the org finish so it will get sanded/scrubbed and refinished.

Cleaned up a bit and the marker is just to make out the markings.

A family heirloom Winchester 60-22.

Peal the tape off the broken stock-

I'm going to try to repair the stock.

It could clean up nice but the trigger is too light, you bump it- it will go bang.
    Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; March 3rd, 2016 at 03:59 PM. Reason: no longer starting they are DONE
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Default Re: Starting 2 new restorations

I like the BETSEY name. Saves you the chore of coming up with a name for her.

Usually, it's spelled BETSY though, so that makes him an asschunk.

I have a new favorite word for today.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Jefferson County)

Hey Rosco, A question if I may???
    Last summer my wife & I were cleaning out the basement & discovered her grandfather's single barrel 12 Ga. It "looks" almost identical to the single barrel you show in the pics above. My wife's grandfather was born in 1905 and he passed in 1977. Obviously, we cannot ask him any questions about this fine old gun. We were completely unfamiliar with this old gun... couldn't even figure out how to open the action. Took it to Grice's in Clearfield where we learned that this piece opens by pulling the trigger again AFTER the hammer has fallen. Is that they way your gun opens?
    Our old gun was not properly stored since its last use in ...maybe... the late '60's so there is a great deal of dirt & corrosion on the barrel and receiver. Can you suggest the best way to clean off the corrosion so that we can learn the manufacturer, model, etc... I doubt that we will ever fire it.... make a nice old wall hanger but I want to learn more and clean it up before we hang in in a place of honor in the "hunting" room.

Thank you for your time.

(Monroe County)

You can see it in this pic, there is a lever on the receiver tang you push to one side to open.

As for cleaning and ID ing your gun, hard to say w/o seeing it person or at least some detailed pics.
    Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; February 11th, 2016 at 08:59 PM.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Jefferson County)

Hey Rosco

Thank you for the reply. Your pics are excellent! I appreciate your response with the pic. I guess I will use some Hoppes or some 3-in-one with some 000 grade steel wool on the receiver sides to see if the info is there.

(Monroe County)

I would go with 3-1 rust penetrate and a stiff plastic brush, steel wool might be too harsh at least to start.

(Bucks County)

Steel Wool works great! BUT it has to be 0000 steel wool. You can not use anything coarser then this or you WILL remove finish. We use 0000 steel wool regularly.

(Monroe County)

Well I hit them with Citristrip and holy crap, worked better then carb cleaner for the paint. The wood was clean in about 2 hours.
    I had to glue 3 cracks and a broke off part on the 22. It's not the best repair but the stock is one piece again.

I stripped and sanded off the "betsy" from the Stevens, boy does is it some beautiful walnut.

Here it is stained but not sealed.

I later polyurethaned them but the weather this week has not been nice to my basement and it's not drying right.

(Monroe County)

It warmed up and and i had time to coat them today. I couldn't resist and quick blued the pivot cap to finish the fore stock. Not bad for simple cold blue.

no trace-

(Monroe County)

I got the rest of the shotgun done.
    Got it clean-

Done-

Boy does it shoot nice-

Now for the good part, getting paid.
    Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; March 3rd, 2016 at 01:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast