Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    230
    Rep Power
    1506532

    Question FTF issues from 14 Round Mags on Sig 227 ??

    Hi PA FOA!!

    I have not been on this forum in a while but am back now with a question for all you SIG Collectors and Enthusiasts on this forum.

    now before i am tarred and feathered for this post, i would like to let all you good people know that i am only contemplating this, not actually sure if i will be going through with it atall.

    A month or so ago, i had the opportunity to shoot a HK45, SIG 220, Gen4 Glock 21 and a SIG 227 (10 round mag).

    Of all 4 handguns, i preferred the 220 and the 227. In fact, i was leaning more to the 227 because my friend told me that they came in a 14 round magazine. I thought, ok great, this is a win-win until i took to the interwebz for some research and lo and behold, there were quite a few posts pertaining to rounds failing to feed properly when the double stack magazines were used. These articles / posts that i was reading up on were published on and around 2013.

    Do these issues still persist?

    Here is where i am going to get tarred and feathered:

    Please bear in mind that i am no firearms collector. I like to keep and train with one specific firearm, carry it, practice with it, (give it a good cleaning after every range trip) that sort of thing. I do that with an STI Trojan 1911 now. I shoot with it, i carry it and i like it except for one glaring reason - an 8 / 10 round mag. I don't even mind the weight. I carry all 42 ounces of it both IWB and OWB without any issues but if i can carry 6 or 4 extra rounds of ammo, then why not?

    Here are my real questions:
    Is it a good idea for me to transition out of the 1911 to the Sig 227 ?
    Is the trade off for 6 extra rounds worth it or is it just me overthinking the issue?

    HELP!

    Hound.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    7,484
    Rep Power
    21474853

    Default Re: FTF issues from 14 Round Mags on Sig 227 ??

    Not trying to answer your question, just that this comes to mind and it may be something to consider: I carry a KelTec P3AT which has limited capacity. I feel I solved that by also carrying a second loaded magazine.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    230
    Rep Power
    1506532

    Default Re: FTF issues from 14 Round Mags on Sig 227 ??

    I have never shot a KelTec. To be very honest with you, i prefer firearms with exposed/external hammers. Striker fire handguns get a very very unfair rep from me for that reason. I carry a spare mag also, i am merely trying to eliminate spare mag as a variable from this equation.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
    (Cumberland County)
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,109
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: FTF issues from 14 Round Mags on Sig 227 ??

    I'd stick to the 10 round factory mags for absolute reliability.
    The FTF might be a flaw in the extended magazine design and not the gun itself.
    The factory mag is still 2 rounds over a 1911 and it is a more modern design than a 1911 as well.
    A stock 227 is going to be superior in design to your generic 1911. The 227 is based off of the 226 which was in the race with the 92fs in replacing the 1911 to give you perspective between the two pistols.
    You can't go wrong with a 227. After market 14 round mags might be questionable though and you can only take the opinions of the Internet by so much value anyways. A lot of people hold some pretty adamant opinions about different firearms that may or may not be true.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    7,484
    Rep Power
    21474853

    Default Re: FTF issues from 14 Round Mags on Sig 227 ??

    Appx July 2014 PSP adopted the 227. May be able to do a google on how that went and is going.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dar al-Harb, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Age
    39
    Posts
    902
    Rep Power
    3768

    Default Re: FTF issues from 14 Round Mags on Sig 227 ??

    I don't see it as a real upgrade, assuming your 1911 is reliable and you're proficient with it. The double stack grip of the 227 will be harder to conceal. As you say, you'll need to master a very different DA/SA firing system than your SAO 1911, for just a few extra rounds.

    As for the OEM 14 rounders, are they by chance made by Checkmate? I know a few years back some of their Sig mags got a bad rep, and the solution was to replace them with tried and true Mec-Gar mags.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    230
    Rep Power
    1506532

    Default Re: FTF issues from 14 Round Mags on Sig 227 ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Kabloosh View Post
    I'd stick to the 10 round factory mags for absolute reliability.
    The FTF might be a flaw in the extended magazine design and not the gun itself.
    The factory mag is still 2 rounds over a 1911 and it is a more modern design than a 1911 as well.
    A stock 227 is going to be superior in design to your generic 1911. The 227 is based off of the 226 which was in the race with the 92fs in replacing the 1911 to give you perspective between the two pistols.
    You can't go wrong with a 227. After market 14 round mags might be questionable though and you can only take the opinions of the Internet by so much value anyways. A lot of people hold some pretty adamant opinions about different firearms that may or may not be true.
    Well, i am considering going back to what i was comfortable carrying earlier, the Sig 226. I was halfway decent with it and carried it for almost 10 years before i switched to my 1911 (which i have been carrying only for 3). I know i should not be swayed by what has been mentioned on the internet, but i did and decided would rather go on the "comfortable shooting with" side of the spectrum than have that small gremlin in the back of my head gnawing away at my sanity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Appx July 2014 PSP adopted the 227. May be able to do a google on how that went and is going.
    Well, there are just press release equivalents of information on the Interwebz. Nothing concrete on how they are performing out in the field. Apparently the PSP haven't shot enough people yet to come up with somewhat decent statistics on terminal performance.....

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    I don't see it as a real upgrade, assuming your 1911 is reliable and you're proficient with it. The double stack grip of the 227 will be harder to conceal. As you say, you'll need to master a very different DA/SA firing system than your SAO 1911, for just a few extra rounds.

    As for the OEM 14 rounders, are they by chance made by Checkmate? I know a few years back some of their Sig mags got a bad rep, and the solution was to replace them with tried and true Mec-Gar mags.
    I agree 100% about the concealment. Since i carry closer to the 4-5 o clock position IWB, they should be tucked away. Carrying OWB, forget about it, it is going to stick out. As far as the 14 rounders went, they were all OEM Mec-Gars. I am now leaning towards the 226. I held one the other night - brought back a sense of comfort from way back when.
    Last edited by TheTailhound; February 9th, 2016 at 12:20 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    7,484
    Rep Power
    21474853

    Default Re: FTF issues from 14 Round Mags on Sig 227 ??

    Apparently the PSP haven't shot enough people yet to come up with somewhat decent statistics on terminal performance.....

    Nice.

    Out.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
    (Cumberland County)
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,109
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: FTF issues from 14 Round Mags on Sig 227 ??

    I think the .45 acp is an overrated round. If you're adamant in carrying such a caliber that's your choice but I think possibly going back to the 226 would be a wiser choice if capacity is what you're looking for. Modern 9mm ammo will get the job done just as well as .45 these days.
    I read a forum thread on the 14 round mags. The majority explained they had no problem with them. They are made by mecgar as well.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    230
    Rep Power
    1506532

    Default Re: FTF issues from 14 Round Mags on Sig 227 ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Kabloosh View Post
    I think the .45 acp is an overrated round. If you're adamant in carrying such a caliber that's your choice but I think possibly going back to the 226 would be a wiser choice if capacity is what you're looking for. Modern 9mm ammo will get the job done just as well as .45 these days.
    I read a forum thread on the 14 round mags. The majority explained they had no problem with them. They are made by mecgar as well.
    Went to Tanner's today and solved my problem.
    20160209_162748 (800x450).jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. AR/ProMag First Round Issues
    By mooradian in forum Rifles
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 13th, 2013, 04:23 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 1st, 2013, 05:14 PM
  3. [CLOSED] ALL TRADED 5 FDE 30 round mags for 5 black 30 round mags.
    By JustinHEMI in forum Firearms
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 4th, 2013, 06:34 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 30th, 2009, 12:10 PM
  5. Continued racking of the same round. Issues?
    By BIA_Design in forum General
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: February 28th, 2008, 11:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops