Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Charter Arms Pitbull Revolvers

Anyone see anything or hear anything about these? Interesting you can use rimless cartridges and they've been talking about these for several years now. Finally appear to be out.

I haven't seen any reviews or comments on them yet, though.

http://www.charterarms.com/collections/pitbull

If these have been out for years and I missed it, I apologize in advance. I had researched them previously and hadn't seen them out. Just started noticing them on Gunbroker recently.
    Last edited by SwampFoxZ71; February 7th, 2016 at 07:40 PM.
    I forgot how much I missed the slang from the 70's and 80's: "Bite me, dig?"

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Charter Arms Pitbull Revolvers

The .40 Pit bull has been out for a while. The 9mm is out now too. Here's a link to one about the 9mm:

http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/10/gu...volver-in-9mm/

Note that they mention that the company recommends holding the revolver straight up-and-now and forcefully ejecting the spent cartridges. Translation: maybe wear some kind of palm protector, you will likely have to smack the thing. If I remember the reports on the .40, that was one of the biggest problems.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

I've had the .40 for about a year and have never had trouble with it. It's a nice short range gun.
    20 years USN - OSC

I did some research on them a few years ago because I was intrigued by the idea a revolver that shares caliber with my SA pistols. They have a great reputation and reviews...but I wasn't thrilled about the way you load it, not just drop-on like a normal revolver.

However last year, they redesigned them and offered owners of the old style a free upgrade!
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...g-9mm-pitbull/

Charter Arms announced on Facebook that the company is redesigning the 9mm Pitbull revolver. The Pitbull is the company’s “rimless revolver” that is designed to shoot traditional auto cartridges without the need for moon clips.

According to the company, the new design will reduce capacity from six rounds to only five. Charter Arms stated this was done to help improve case extraction. Spent case extraction has been a problem for a number of shooters, and I will be interested to see what can be done to improve this.

The company is advising that the redesign is currently underway and should be completed in about 4-6 weeks. Current 9mm Pitbull owners will be able to send the existing guns back in August for a free upgrade.
    Last edited by alpacaheat; February 8th, 2016 at 01:06 PM.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

I believe that all three calibers are available now - they must have come to some agreement with S&W who tied them up in court.

What I don't understand is why abandon a tried & true concept (moon clips) in favor of some gimmicky extractor set-up that just gives the gun more ways to fail? You have to push the cartridges past the spring-loaded individual extractors, and as indicated above it may require a good smack, in a perfectly vertical position to extract the empties.

Moon clips are fast and pretty much fool proof. All rounds extract as a unit. Do you really want to be thinking about how to unload your CA when you are in the heat of the moment?

You want a big bore snubby, this is what you get...

25 ounces and six shots of .45 ACP goodness. Costs twice as much, but it's twice as much gun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Before everybody flames me - I own two Charter Arm revolvers. These non-moon clip rimless round revolvers are just a solution to a non-existent problem.
    Last edited by Pizza Bob; February 8th, 2016 at 04:02 PM.
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Cumberland County)

I bought the 40 shortly after it came out. Was excited for a 40 caliber revolver that didn't need moon clips. Overall decent gun, but don't plan on loading quickly New rounds have to be put in on a slight angle to get them in and ejecting usually means getting one or two out manually because of the double retention system.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    I bought the 40 shortly after it came out. Was excited for a 40 caliber revolver that didn't need moon clips. Overall decent gun, but don't plan on loading quickly New rounds have to be put in on a slight angle to get them in and ejecting usually means getting one or two out manually because of the double retention system.
    That's what I didn't like. It also takes a certain "click it into place" pressure too, doesn't it? You can't just drop them in.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Cumberland County)

Exactly, a slight pain to load. Rounds definitely don't just "drop in" and a speed loader would be out of the question.
    Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    That's what I didn't like. It also takes a certain "click it into place" pressure too, doesn't it? You can't just drop them in.

(Delaware County)

Cool Re: Charter Arms Pitbull Revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    I believe that all three calibers are available now - they must have come to some agreement with S&W who tied them up in court.

What I don't understand is why abandon a tried & true concept (moon clips) in favor of some gimmicky extractor set-up that just gives the gun more ways to fail? You have to push the cartridges past the spring-loaded individual extractors, and as indicated above it may require a good smack, in a perfectly vertical position to extract the empties.

Moon clips are fast and pretty much fool proof. All rounds extract as a unit. Do you really want to be thinking about how to unload your CA when you are in the heat of the moment?

You want a big bore snubby, this is what you get...

25 ounces and six shots of .45 ACP goodness. Costs twice as much, but it's twice as much gun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Before everybody flames me - I own two Charter Arm revolvers. These non-moon clip rimless round revolvers are just a solution to a non-existent problem.
    Really nice piece. Looks like something out of Fallout New Vegas.