Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Delaware County)

Default Undetermined/Advice/Help

On January 18th I went to my local FFL to purchase my first handgun. I wasn't very familiar with the process. After picking the firearm and filling out the 4473 the gentleman helping me called in my background check. After 20 mins it came back " in research" I was informed they had 15 days to provide an answer. I was not really concerned. I only have 1 DUI (2001) on my record that I plead quilty to did all the appropriate steps to complete what was asked from me by the state. As a kid I got in minor trouble but nothing that ever brought charges against me. So after the 15 days I still did not recieve an answer. I called the FFL he told me the person handling my case was sick and it will be determined on the 16th day. I still was not worried. I get finger printed once a year to work in schools and I'm always cleared. I also recently went through a psych evaluation, federal and state background check to work in a nuclear power plant which came back clean. On the 16th day the FFL called me and informed me I was undetermined. I went down there and filled out the challenge and sent it in that day. A couple days ago with thoughts that there is no reason for a non reversal my wife and I went to purchase a firearm for her so that we can have something fun to do together. The FFL told me that he required my background check as well as hers. She passed and obviously mine is still undetermined. She did not get to purchase her firearm. I don't get it. I'm not a criminal but yet they are not let me excercise my 2nd amendment. I respect that they are trying to be safe but at my expense a productive citizen with minor criminal activity in the far past ( 2001) Any advice, help, anything would be greatly appreciated. I'm extremely frustrated.

Default Re: Undetermined/Advice/Help

Undetermined sucks. PA is the only state that I am aware of that has such a status. Be very careful about how you proceed, GunLawyer has a sticky about it: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=263156

Although not required, I can see why the FFL stipulated that both you and your wife pass the checks, but that is a different conversation.

(Delaware County)

I completely understand why they would not sell her a firearm. It actually makes me feel confident that people are doing there job properly. As for the sticky that kind of scares me. Obviously I did not lie on the 4473 but did I completely understand what was being asked. Hmmmm. Thanks for the response.

(Lancaster County)

It looks as though that your DUI case is still showing as being active at the MDJ level even though it's closed at the Common Pleas level.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Delaware County)

I did some research last night and that is exactly correct. I have the docket slip that says closed on it but if you look it up it says active. I am going to send in the docket sheet that has closed on it to psp. Or does anyone have any idea how I go about getting it closed.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Schieler View Post
    I did some research last night and that is exactly correct. I have the docket slip that says closed on it but if you look it up it says active. I am going to send in the docket sheet that has closed on it to psp. Or does anyone have any idea how I go about getting it closed.
    Call the MDJ's office and tell them they have a mistake in their files regarding that case, see if you can get them to close it.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.