Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should I be worried?

A question for parents of toddlers out there.
    I guess I have been watching alot of videos on youtube that are gun related. Videos on handgun safety, Different models and types of guns and a couple on bump firing. (The last strictly out of curiosity) Usually my son (2 1/2yo) is playing or watching cartoons but sometimes he's right on my lap watching the videos with me.
    So tonight I see him walking around like this...

Should I be worried and make sure he don't see anymore videos? When I asked him what that was he "drew" his "Weapon" and pointed it at the cat and said BANG!

BTW... He did see me shooting last weekend at my in-laws place in the mountains but I should probably post that story in another thread.

"you have no power; here is the power; feel the power, brat, and then speak again of how you come to kill the Eternal."
    Pennywise The Clown

(York County)

Default Re: Should I be worried?

Be proud. Be very proud.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

Sounds like it's time for "firearms training".
    From your description, he is old enough to understand.

My 2yo boy does the same thing. He currently owns 4 "pow-pows"- a lever action rifle, two revolvers, and a derringer (cap guns, of course) and I'm teaching him not to point at people or animals. He's got a pretty good stance, btw, I'd show everybody but the wife doesn't like the idea of posting pics of him on the internet.

Also, those leg markings look very familiar. Forget to put the pens out of reach, did we?

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Sounds like it's time for "firearms training".
    From your description, he is old enough to understand.
    THAT was the part I was saying might be for another thread. While I was at the in-laws place my father in-law has a Taurus 357 mag that he was letting me shoot. My son was watching and kept saying "me try? Me try?" So I looked at my father in-law not sure of what to do and he pulled a 357 shotshell from the case and said let him try this as there is'nt nearly as much kick. Well I knelt down behind bobby and supported the weight of the gun for him (I had my hands around his) while he had his hand on the handle I pulled the trigger.
    Well he got the strangest look on his face and just walked back to the house. He did'nt want anything more to do with shooting that day.
    My father in-law said he had done the same with his kids at bobby's age.

Later on after dinner we were walking around the property and bobby walked up to the target to look at it. I showed him the holes that the bullets made and he seemed to get it.
    Hope I'm doing this right.

"you have no power; here is the power; feel the power, brat, and then speak again of how you come to kill the Eternal."
    Pennywise The Clown

Quote Originally Posted by 00leland00 View Post

Also, those leg markings look very familiar. Forget to put the pens out of reach, did we?
    LOL Yep, Sure did.

Pennywise The Clown

(Beaver County)

Nothing to worry about. Teach him the basics of safety. Make sure he understands that his guns are his, yours are yours and he is not to touch them when you are not around. Mine is three and he's got a pretty good grasp of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbySomers View Post
    THAT was the part I was saying might be for another thread. While I was at the in-laws place my father in-law has a Taurus 357 mag that he was letting me shoot. My son was watching and kept saying "me try? Me try?" So I looked at my father in-law not sure of what to do and he pulled a 357 shotshell from the case and said let him try this as there is'nt nearly as much kick. Well I knelt down behind bobby and supported the weight of the gun for him (I had my hands around his) while he had his hand on the handle I pulled the trigger.
    Well he got the strangest look on his face and just walked back to the house. He did'nt want anything more to do with shooting that day.
    My father in-law said he had done the same with his kids at bobby's age.

Later on after dinner we were walking around the property and bobby walked up to the target to look at it. I showed him the holes that the bullets made and he seemed to get it.
    Hope I'm doing this right.
    Sounds like a good start!

(Lebanon County)

Look at that! He already knows that OC is legal! WTG! Now just get him to stop pointing it at the cat....

Check YouTube for Eddie Eagle -- it's the NRA child safety program... Cartoon format, just teaches them what to do when they see a gun; I'm not sure they're really comprehend the actual rules until they're five or six at the very least.
    Rob/Wynder
    Delaware Open Carry, Founder
    http://www.deloc.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast