Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: 2016 NFA wait time

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    FWIW- Maybe you weren't supposed to do it, but all 3 of my cans were on a trust, and via 2 different dealers. Both dealers did PICS on them. This was pre 41.

I know for certain that on my last can (the dealer was a new SOT). I heard her call PICS operator and explain to them that it was for a silencer. They gave her the run around and ended up transferring her to a supervisor but ended up doing the PICS anyway.
    PICS would, with prodding (although they did not like to) do the BGC for a suppressor and they would try to discourage FFL/SOTs from doing it. By now, however, all PA FFL's should have received the open letter explaining what to do. Which means that PICS now has something to use to "defend" their not doing the BGCs for suppressors. It took me about an hour to do everything with the FBI to get to use NICS. The longest part about doing the NICS check is typing in all the info for the BGC - on the last 3 I did (which were the first NICS checks I did), once I pressed submit, reviewed the info and hit submit again, it was processed and I got the green proceed notice and the BGC number to put on the 4473. Almost instantaneous.

Now, with 41F in place, those Forms should be coming back with some type of number on them to use on the 4473 because trust or individual all people on the form get BGCed now. I'll know in 8 months or so
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    PICS would, with prodding (although they did not like to) do the BGC for a suppressor and they would try to discourage FFL/SOTs from doing it. By now, however, all PA FFL's should have received the open letter explaining what to do. Which means that PICS now has something to use to "defend" their not doing the BGCs for suppressors. It took me about an hour to do everything with the FBI to get to use NICS. The longest part about doing the NICS check is typing in all the info for the BGC - on the last 3 I did (which were the first NICS checks I did), once I pressed submit, reviewed the info and hit submit again, it was processed and I got the green proceed notice and the BGC number to put on the 4473. Almost instantaneous.

Now, with 41F in place, those Forms should be coming back with some type of number on them to use on the 4473 because trust or individual all people on the form get BGCed now. I'll know in 8 months or so
    So if I'm understanding this right, only the pre 41f Trusts/LLC form 4's require the nics check on an NFA item(sbr, suppressors,etc..), correct? Nothing has changed for an individual since prints/photos are submitted with form 1/4, right? My coworker is adamant on running nics on any approved NFA items now because of this letter. I read this letter as well and it appears obvious (to me) it's PA telling dealers to satisfy the fed requirement of a nics check on non individuals.

In chapter 9 of the NFA regulations it even reiterates when to run a check on an NFA item...
    Section 9.12 Are FFLs/SOTs required to initiate a background check of the transferee under the Brady Law in connection with the transfer of an NFA firearm? No. Although 18 U.S.C. § 922(t) requires an FFL to complete a National Instant Criminal Background Checks System (NICS) check of the firearm recipient prior to completing the transfer, subsection 922(t)(3)(B) removes ATF-approved transfers of NFA firearms from the NICS requirement for individuals.
    9.12.1 NFA Transfers to other than individuals. Subsequent to the approval of an application requesting to transfer an NFA firearm to, or on behalf of, a partnership, company, association, trust, estate, or corporation, the authorized person picking up the firearm on behalf of, a partnership, company, association, trust, estate, or corporation from the FFL must complete the Form 4473 with his/her personal information and undergo a NICS check. See also, question P60 in the ATF FAQs.

(Lancaster County)

Picked up my muffler yesterday @ LGS after it endured 344 days in purgatory

Pre 41f Trust

They ran PICS on me before handing it over...

FWIW...

(Centre County)

Wildbill - that is correct. Pre 41F an individual has had a BGC done by the FBI when they did the Form 1 or 4 (that's what the prints and pics are for). There is a paragraph (20) on the 4473 that the FFL marks that no check is needed for someone that has been checked during the NFA process. Persons picking up an NFA item for a trust DO need to have the BGC done.

I don't know what the Approved Form 4 will look like as people probably won't be getting them until the Mid March 2018 time frame

Claudel - technically your FFL did it wrong. He should have received the letter telling PA FFL/SOTs to sign up to use the NICS for suppressors , all PA FFLs received the letter. That said, even before I got into the NICS system I would call PICS - there was no other way to do a BGC (and the automated PICS doesn't ask about the firearm unless you have a special case and get transferred and have to talk to an operator and even then they don't always ask).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

"Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Now to get back on topic..

1. NFA Item: SBR
    2. Transferee Type: Individual
    3. Method: Paper
    4. Form Mailed: 5/4/2017
    5. Form Delivery: 5/6/2017
    6. Check Cashed: 5/9/2017
    7. Pending: N/A
    8. Approved: Hopefully in 2017

(Lancaster County)

Just got a can on F4 back last week that was from early July of last year. Strangely I filed for two at the same time, mailed in same envelope, and am still waiting on the 2nd one. Any idea of why that happens and how long to expect?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Just got a can on F4 back last week that was from early July of last year. Strangely I filed for two at the same time, mailed in same envelope, and am still waiting on the 2nd one. Any idea of why that happens and how long to expect?
    From what I understand, they no longer approve in bulk like they use too. Apparently sometime ago, if you had multiple forms submitted around the same time and one already cleared, you could call and ask nicely and they would approve the subsequent forms. Like I said, from what I've read they no longer do that as well as having individual examiners assigned by state. It seems things started changing around the time eforms started getting rolled out and now obviously with 41f it's vastly different. I only hope they update eforms to take print/photo scans so they can be efiled.

(Allegheny County)

Suppressed SIG 220 and Glock G21SF

suppressed Glock G21SF.jpg

suppressed SIG 220.jpg
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill990 View Post
    Now to get back on topic..

1. NFA Item: SBR
    2. Transferee Type: Individual
    3. Method: Paper
    4. Form Mailed: 5/4/2017
    5. Form Delivery: 5/6/2017
    6. Check Cashed: 5/9/2017
    7. Pending: N/A