Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: 2016 NFA wait time

When I picked them up today the FFL said he has a letter that requires an FBI online background check. I told him that is BS but he said I could not have them until he did it. I completed it and asked him to email the letter. An hour later no letter. When I first went to him to complete the application he only said I had one suppressor. I had him check his email and low and behold there were two. I will never do business with this clown again.

Put the suppressor directly on my 300 Blackout pistol.

Forgot to buy the piston for the Octane 45 ARRRRRRGGGGGGG

Pistol with suppressor.jpg
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Armstrong County)

The letter he is referring to is the on in this thread.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=319817

Did you do the Form 4 on your person or through a trust/corp/llc?
    Trust/corp route now need a separate NICS check.

So you still have a 2nd can at his place that you havn't started the Form4 yet?
    Or a 2nd was approved as well and he didn't tell you?
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Centre County)

If you filed the Form 4 as a Trust/Corporation/LLC prior to July 13, 2016, then the person picking up the NFA item will fill out a 4473 and must have a background check accomplished through NICS as PA does not recognize suppressors as firearms and as such the FFL cannot use PICS to do the background check. PA FFLs who hold a SOT have been given permission by the FBI to enroll in the NICS program to do background checks ONLY for suppressors. SBRs/SBSs/Full Autos are still done through PICS.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    If you filed the Form 4 as a Trust/Corporation/LLC prior to July 13, 2016, then the person picking up the NFA item will fill out a 4473 and must have a background check accomplished through NICS as PA does not recognize suppressors as firearms and as such the FFL cannot use PICS to do the background check. PA FFLs who hold a SOT have been given permission by the FBI to enroll in the NICS program to do background checks ONLY for suppressors. SBRs/SBSs/Full Autos are still done through PICS.
    Not true, I picked up two form 4's prior to 41f and only filled out a 4473, no NICS check.

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Not true, I picked up two form 4's prior to 41f and only filled out a 4473, no NICS check.
    Not doubting you, but just curious -- did this occur before or after April 6th of this year? That's the date on the open letter referenced in the other thread.
    I am not a lawyer.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by buckengr View Post
    Not doubting you, but just curious -- did this occur before or after April 6th of this year? That's the date on the open letter referenced in the other thread.
    Before.

(Allegheny County)

No, I now have both cans.

When I first went to see him last June he said the email from the dealer I bought them from in Florida only listed one suppressor.

So I had him review the email while I was there and he was surprised to find a second one.

Even before I met him I emailed him and told him I bought two from the dealer in Florida.

What bugs me about the new letter is no copy is submitted to anyone and I did not get a copy.

He said he keeps a copy and that's it. What crap from the ATF.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    The letter he is referring to is the on in this thread.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=319817

Did you do the Form 4 on your person or through a trust/corp/llc?
    Trust/corp route now need a separate NICS check.

So you still have a 2nd can at his place that you havn't started the Form4 yet?
    Or a 2nd was approved as well and he didn't tell you?
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Not doubting you either but were your Form 4's done as a trust or as an individual? If done as an individual, you wouldn't have been required to do the NICS check because you underwent a BGC with the FBI for the Form 4. If you did it by a trust, then your FFL/SOT should have done a BGC on you as the person who was picking up the NFA item(s). Believe it or not, many PA FFL/SOTs didn't do the required BGC for the person picking up the trust item because they just didn't know how to do it, me included. I called the NFA Branch and asked them what to do and they didn't really know either because of PA laws about suppressors. So I did what I wasn't supposed to do, I did a PICS on the person (PICS does not ask what the check is for, unless you are doing a BGC on an out of state buyer or other special circumstance). Later, after the ATF decided to change how to do things I had a discussion with the PSP Firearms Unit and they really had no answer. Then the FBI made the changes allowing PA FFL/SOTs to use NICS. Now I am signed up with NICS and PICS is out of the system - for suppressors - a PA FFL/SOT still has to use PICS for a SBR/SBS/FA according to the PSP.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Wyoming County)

Not doubting you either but were your Form 4's done as a trust or as an individual? If done as an individual, you wouldn't have been required to do the NICS check because you underwent a BGC with the FBI for the Form 4. If you did it by a trust, then your FFL/SOT should have done a BGC on you as the person who was picking up the NFA item(s). Believe it or not, many PA FFL/SOTs didn't do the required BGC for the person picking up the trust item because they just didn't know how to do it, me included. I called the NFA Branch and asked them what to do and they didn't really know either because of PA laws about suppressors. So I did what I wasn't supposed to do, I did a PICS on the person (PICS does not ask what the check is for, unless you are doing a BGC on an out of state buyer or other special circumstance). Later, after the ATF decided to change how to do things I had a discussion with the PSP Firearms Unit and they really had no answer. Then the FBI made the changes allowing PA FFL/SOTs to use NICS. Now I am signed up with NICS and PICS is out of the system - for suppressors - a PA FFL/SOT still has to use PICS for a SBR/SBS/FA according to the PSP.
    FWIW- Maybe you weren't supposed to do it, but all 3 of my cans were on a trust, and via 2 different dealers. Both dealers did PICS on them. This was pre 41.

I know for certain that on my last can (the dealer was a new SOT). I heard her call PICS operator and explain to them that it was for a silencer. They gave her the run around and ended up transferring her to a supervisor but ended up doing the PICS anyway.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

Both on a trust, 2 different dealers, one picked up last July and one this past January, 4473 on both only no NICS check.

Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast