Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Exclamation Having a REALLY hard time finding a club/range.

I am in Pottstown. I just moved here from Atlanta. I shoot 9mm and my 223 AR.

I am having a REALLY hard time finding a club or range that a. has open membership, b. has decent ranges and c. doesn't require me to know someone there to join it - Because I honestly don't know anyone from the area. If there were open meetings to go to, to try and find a sponsor or meet some people, I would gladly do so.

I have looked at ranges in Pottstown area, West Chester, Reading, Lancaster.

Can someone help me here? I am really trying to get involved with a club to stay out of the public wild life ranges, as a ton of people use those ranges that DON'T know how to safely use a firearm.
    Last edited by GetBunkerD; February 1st, 2016 at 09:49 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Having a REALLY hard time finding a club/range.

I live in Phoenixville, and just buy a yearly membership for French Creek Outfitters. It's a 25 yard indoor range, limited to handgun calibers. I live 5 minutes from there, and all I currently own are handguns, with the exception of a 357 Henry rifle, which I can shoot there if I wanted. If I was able to get into Kimberton gun club, I might get me one of those evil assault rifles. LOL

I know several people that bought the long guns, (AR's) and quickly got tired of driving out to the state game range, (near French Creek state park) so those long guns become safe queens. And even then, they have that 3 shot limit at the state game range. I'll pass on that.......for now.

I am looking for outdoor with nice facilities. Shooting 223 indoors.... well it lacks the fun level I am after, how ever, I have been of FCO and their facilities are nice. I even bought ammo and some Magpul stuff too.

(Chester County)

I hear ya. For me, it's a 5 minute drive, and all I have are handguns, so it's a no brainer.

Look into Kimberton gun club. But, I think that's one of those clubs where you need a sponser, and hope that there might be an opening.

There's also Lower Providence Gun Club on Egypt rd.

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioIM View Post
    I hear ya. For me, it's a 5 minute drive, and all I have are handguns, so it's a no brainer.

Look into Kimberton gun club. But, I think that's one of those clubs where you need a sponser, and hope that there might be an opening.

There's also Lower Providence Gun Club on Egypt rd.
    LPGC is closed and KGC, yea, sponsor required.

I am looking at https://www.efga.net/join/ now. Its an hours drive but the facilities seem nice.

Try Palmyra

(Montgomery County)

You may want to look into Boulder Valley in Perkiomenville. You need a sponsor, but if you show up to a meeting, someone will usually sponsor you that night. I haven't been there in a few years, but that is how it always was. Check their website for meeting nights.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    You may want to look into Boulder Valley in Perkiomenville. You need a sponsor, but if you show up to a meeting, someone will usually sponsor you that night. I haven't been there in a few years, but that is how it always was. Check their website for meeting nights.
    It looks like they have a 5 round rule, which is a little silly and frankly doesn't make much sense to me.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GetBunkerD View Post
    LPGC is closed and KGC, yea, sponsor required.

I am looking at https://www.efga.net/join/ now. Its an hours drive but the facilities seem nice.
    LPRGC isn't bad. Unfortunately new memberships are suspended for a few months while the clubhouse gets rebuilt. I know it doesn't help you right now, but the suspension is only a temporary thing.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    LPRGC isn't bad. Unfortunately new memberships are suspended for a few months while the clubhouse gets rebuilt. I know it doesn't help you right now, but the suspension is only a temporary thing.

They are scheduled to reopen the membership in May.
    Right now th clubhouse is all torn up as they expand it, building a second indoor range. It should be nice.

In the meantime, they run IDPA matches every month, those are open to the public. They also have Friday night trap shoots open to the public, but you need a shotgun (sounds like you need more guns anyway). It is a very AR friendly club. They are also a CMP club and run CMP shoots every month. I really don't know if those are open to the public. If I had any kind of regular schedule, I would et you there with my guest pass to show you around.

As far as sponsors, I think at most of these clubs you can find a sponsor at the meeting when you go sign up, or go to a public event and meet someone, or even make your intentions known here and someone will probably step up.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast