Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Norwegian Cops Will No Longer Carry The Guns They Don't Use

http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/02/01/...they-dont-use/
    Norwegian Police Will No Longer Carry the Guns They Don’t Use
    On Nov. 13 last year, Norway announced that its police officers would no longer carry firearms in holsters and would instead go back to keeping them in their patrol vehicles.

But that night, Islamic State terrorists launched a series of coordinated attacks in Paris, killing 130 people and rattling capitals from London to Oslo. The initial reason for arming the 6,000 strong police force in 2014 was in response to heightened fears of terrorism in Europe. Norway intended to disarm in November when the terrorist threat seemed to have subsided, but the Paris attacks compelled Norwegian officials to allow the police to hold onto their guns.

Now, nearly three months later, Norway plans to once again ban police from carrying weapons outside their cars. That means Norwegian police will be even less likely to use their weapons than they already were. In 2014, the most recent year for which data is available, Norwegian police only fired their weapons twice, causing no injuries or deaths.

In fact, between 2002 and 2014, Norwegian police only killed two people with guns. That’s compared to the at least 1,000 believed to have been killed by police in the U.S. in 2015 alone. (Norway’s population is also significantly smaller than that of the U.S., with only around 5.1 million residents versus the United States’s 319 million.)

As of 2014, only three people had even been injured by Norwegian police gunshots since 2011.

In Norway, there are 31.3 firearms for every 100 people, but many of those wielding the weapons are hunters whose access to guns is strictly monitored. The U.S. has more firearms per capita than anywhere else in the world, with 88.8 per 100 people as of 2007.

Ahead of the planned disarmament in November, some police reportedly argued they felt safer when armed. But Odd Reidar Humlegard, the national police commissioner, said the arming in 2014 was in response to “an extraordinary situation.”

"As things stand now, our laws do not allow for systematic arming,” he said.
    Fidelis ad Mortem

(Chester County)

Default Re: Norwegian Cops Will No Longer Carry The Guns They Don't Use

Their ghettos are developing nicely and this policy will change or they won't survive.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Perhaps only a sargent or supervisor should have a gun. If a common officer needs a gun , he can call his supervisor. .
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Hokkmike Guest

On my visits to Norway I saw many ads in local newspaper inserts for O/U shotguns.

Other types of firearms were not to be seen.

Our hosts, great people, truly do not understand most American's positions on firearms.

Immigration into the country is becoming a problem but low oil prices are worse for them.

(Berks County)

I hope hope the guns will be listed on gun broker soon. Gotta be in excellent condition.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Perhaps only a sargent or supervisor should have a gun. If a common officer needs a gun , he can call his supervisor. .
    LOL!....imagine that.
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    I hope hope the guns will be listed on gun broker soon. Gotta be in excellent condition.
    I wonder what do or did they carry as their service weapon?

(Erie County)

Now, nearly three months later, Norway plans to once again ban police from carrying weapons outside their cars. That means Norwegian police will be even less likely to use their weapons than they already were.

In 2014, the most recent year for which data is available, Norwegian police only fired their weapons twice, causing no injuries or deaths.
    The act of firing a police weapon TWICE in one year is the reason for taking away their firearms? Even when no one was hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Just looked it up and patrol officers would need permission from the police chief in order to remove their weapons from the vehicle for use.They have H&K P30 semi automatic pistols and some variation of the MP5 submachine gun.

(Chester County)

For those really interested in Norway's views toward immigrants, law enforcement and their social programs I recommend watching Lilyhammer on Netflix. It's about an American gangster going into witness protection in Norway. A really pretty good show.
    Last edited by mbinpa; February 1st, 2016 at 06:31 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mbinpa View Post
    For those really interested in Norway's views toward immigrants, law enforcement and their social programs I recommend watching Lillihammer on Netflix. It's about an American gangster going into witness protection in Norway. A really pretty good show.
    I have seen it on there but never bothered to look into it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast