Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default At the risk of bringing down the wrath of OC'ers

After reading a thread about a guy wondering if he should OC when going to a local movie theatre...

I have a nagging suspicion that if OC guys keep insisting on "their rights" to carry a gun openly (especially considering that a lot of these mavericks probably don't have the outward appearance of subdued middle-class citizens), it won't be long until PA changes its laws and forbids OC outright, and perhaps even attempts to infringe upon concealed carry privileges as well.

So why the 'big show' about wanting to OC? Especially if you know it's just going to upset the proverbial soccer moms as well as the police?

Discretion is the better part of valor, as the saying goes. Concealed carry serves the same purpose of protecting you and any citizen in your vicinity needing protection should the moment arise. And it doesn't scare anyone's mother, nor point you out as a potential concern to police and other citizens who, understandably, feel nervous about non-uniformed individuals carrying firearms openly.

It seems like no good can come of it. Odds are you raise the hackles of well-meaning citizens and police far more than you prevent any untoward actions by 'the bad guys'... so let's be honest, to many of you OC'ers, is it just a matter of pride, a la "It's my RIGHT and none of anybody's DAMN business!"?

(Should I now run and duck, or will someone explain to me what I'm missing about the advantages of OC, besides convenience of dress?)

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: At the risk of bringing down the wrath of OC'ers

They're going to have to change the constitution to do that.

(Luzerne County)

This subject has come up a bunch of times in many thread. I suggest you use the search to find some of these thread.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    This subject has come up a bunch of times in many thread. I suggest you use the search to find some of these thread.
    Well, thanks for the suggestion... you've been a big help. You'd be an even bigger help if you could give a link to some of those threads, or at least give me a hint on exactly what I should put in the search box to find them.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by LBaker View Post
    "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."- Pennsylvania Constitution, Article 1, Section 21

[devil's advocate]
    The fact that you need a LTCF to open carry in Philly violates the PA constitution.
    Heck, the fact that you need a LTCF concealed at all technically violates the constitution.
    So what's to say that they couldn't try to write a law regulating open carry?
    [/devil's advocate]

I have to admit, a challenge to open carry by lawmakers is something that has always concerned me. But, at the same time, I say bring it on!
    We the people have not only the right but the responsibility to hang tyrants for treason.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by LBaker View Post
    I don't imagine that will be a great obstacle for our legislators, if they've a mind to do it.

As another poster has wisely pointed out, the fact that a requirement for LTCF even exists can be argued as a violation of the constitution.
    Last edited by Robert Kayland; August 9th, 2008 at 01:21 PM.

(Bucks County)

I both OC and CC. Why? Because I can. It's as simple as that. If somebody doesn't like it or feels uncomfortable, that's their problem, not mine.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kayland View Post
    Well, thanks for the suggestion... you've been a big help. You'd be an even bigger help if you could give a link to some of those threads, or at least give me a hint on exactly what I should put in the search box to find them.

Type "OC vs. CC" in the search box and you'll come up with 100 different threads. (It's not a hard thing to do)

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kayland View Post
    Here is a good start for you.
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed-open-carry-121/
    Last edited by normanvin; August 9th, 2008 at 01:27 PM.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Dauphin County)

I agree with ihunt49 as well.

I also disagree with your statement at the opening: "...especially considering that a lot of these mavericks probably don't have the outward appearance of subdued middle-class citizens..."

If you decide to attend an OC dinner, you will find that virtually everyone in attendance looks no less a "typical" middle class person that yourself.

Try OC someday. You might be surprised.
    in dei gloriam

"Skill in squeezing the trigger is the best life insurance you can get." - WWII Marksman Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast