Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default What are the "other" costs of getting a suppressor?

I like the idea of suppressors, but I don't know how much they really cost.
    Not the suppressor itself, I can look those up online. I know the tax is $200.
    I guess barrel threading is the biggest job. How easy is it to get done? What should I expect to pay?
    Is there other stuff involved? I was reading something on a thread about covers. You need a cover?

Thanks for schooling a noob.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: What are the "other" costs of getting a suppressor?

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I guess barrel threading is the biggest job. How easy is it to get done? What should I expect to pay?
    Is there other stuff involved? I was reading something on a thread about covers. You need a cover?

Any decent gunsmith should be able to thread a barrel. As for price, it would probably vary a lot depending on your area. How much do smiths charge per hour in your area? Another option is to buy a barrel that is already threaded.

As far as thread covers, all they do is protect the threads from damage when the suppressor isn't attached. You could use a break or flash hider as well.

(Lackawanna County)

It depends on what you are trying to suppress as well you can find barrels already threaded for a lot of applications

Don't skimp on the barrel threading. Sure, any decent gunsmith can thread a barrel for a 1" long flash hider. But you're going to be attaching a tube that's closer to a foot than an inch. It doesn't take much of an error to throw off that bore, causing baffle strikes, or worse. Nobody wants to be at the range and watch their silencer fly downrange in a spray of shredded metal.

The threading has to be centered on the bore, and exactly parallel to it. Not all decent gunsmiths are capable of doing that, so ask around. You don't want some guy who's going to just shove a threading alignment tool in the muzzle and spin the die around (which is fine for a flash hider application), you want someone who will remove the barrel from the receiver and do it right.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Bucks County)

No other real costs. Maybe adapters for multi calibers. Depending on what you want to shoot determines threading. If its something like a glock then just buy a threaded barrel. If its something like an AR then its already threaded. If you need a rifle threaded check out Donleys in QTown - he just did a couple for me.

(Wyoming County)

When I read Remington's OP I assumed he was referring to reading in another thread about the heat wraps. Thread covers(protectors) are good too. With regard to the heat wrap, I would say if you are putting the silencer on a bolt gun it's a non-issue aside from maybe cosmetically pleasing. It you are putting one on a semi-auto and putting out some volume you certainly need to be mindful that it will be very hot, very much like touching a exhaust system on your vehicle.

As far as threading I have read advise that echo's what GunLawyer posted.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Washington County)

Our gunsmith charges $75 to $100 to thread a barrel depending on the rifle, so use that as a reference point. You simply drop off the item and pick it up a week later.

You can purchase suppressor covers, as well as thread protectors. We don't use the suppressor covers because they tend to move around on full-auto, but we do use thread protectors anytime a suppressor is not attached to the barrel.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Montgomery County)

I was referencing a forum thread dealing with covers, like some sort of fabric.
    I would like a multi caliber suppressor for my Ruger American Rimfire (.22 lr), my Colt AR (.223) and maybe my Beretta 92fs (9mm).

I think the AR is threaded, it has a flash hider. I don't know if the stock 92fs barrel has enough room to be threaded, but it is 23 years old and a new barrel would probably be a good upgrade anyway. That leaves the Ruger that would need threading.

(Wyoming County)

I was referencing a forum thread dealing with covers, like some sort of fabric.
    I would like a multi caliber suppressor for my Ruger American Rimfire (.22 lr), my Colt AR (.223) and maybe my Beretta 92fs (9mm).

I think the AR is threaded, it has a flash hider. I don't know if the stock 92fs barrel has enough room to be threaded, but it is 23 years old and a new barrel would probably be a good upgrade anyway. That leaves the Ruger that would need threading.
    No personal experience to share, but if you want one can to do it all, maybe this will fit your needs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4KfGPM-cJc
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Don't skimp on the barrel threading. Sure, any decent gunsmith can thread a barrel for a 1" long flash hider. But you're going to be attaching a tube that's closer to a foot than an inch. It doesn't take much of an error to throw off that bore, causing baffle strikes, or worse. Nobody wants to be at the range and watch their silencer fly downrange in a spray of shredded metal.

The threading has to be centered on the bore, and exactly parallel to it. Not all decent gunsmiths are capable of doing that, so ask around. You don't want some guy who's going to just shove a threading alignment tool in the muzzle and spin the die around (which is fine for a flash hider application), you want someone who will remove the barrel from the receiver and do it right.
    Best advice right here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast