Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default 25-06 for black bear in PA

I want to know what you all think about using a 25-06 for bear in PA. I recently picked up a Remington 700 CDL in 25-06 and I know it's great for deer but I'm not sure about bear. I will be handloading using Nosler brass and Berger 115g bullets. Not sure on powder yet but I'm guessing muzzle velocity will be about 3000fps.

Default Re: 25-06 for black bear in PA

The 25-06 will get the job done if you put the bullet where it needs to be. I would suggest using a robustly constructed bonded bullet to help ensure good penetration, especially if you come across a larger bear. Like the Swift A-Frame 120gr. The 115gr Berger is designed to shed a lot of weight (40%-85%) and penetrate shallow. Not something that is desirable for bear or even deer really.
    Last edited by dkf; January 25th, 2016 at 09:05 PM.

(Berks County)

Ok. I'm not that familiar with Berger. I was told the VLD's would be good but that is by the guy who is selling them to me. I didn't buy them yet. Thanks for the info.

(Westmoreland County)

Nosler Accubonds and Partitions are good sturdy bullets with reliable expansion. Just another option.....

(Bucks County)

I would do more research on the Berger bullets before you hunt with them They are some of the best out there for target and long range but I do not think they are good for game larger than varmints.

You are pushing it trying to shoot a bear with a .25 cal. If you do decide its OK for you, research the toughest bullets available like the other posters suggested.

I personally I would go big and heavy. .30 cal minimum. And don't be fooled with velocity. The old and slow 30-30 and .35 Remington have taken more bear than imagined in the past 100 years. Step up to a .308 or 30-06 and no one would say your undergunned.

Just my opinion but 115gr seems a bit light for black bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I would do more research on the Berger bullets before you hunt with them They are some of the best out there for target and long range but I do not think they are good for game larger than varmints.

You are pushing it trying to shoot a bear with a .25 cal. If you do decide its OK for you, research the toughest bullets available like the other posters suggested.

I personally I would go big and heavy. .30 cal minimum. And don't be fooled with velocity. The old and slow 30-30 and .35 Remington have taken more bear than imagined in the past 100 years. Step up to a .308 or 30-06 and no one would say your undergunned.
    Yeah most of th eBerger bullets are for target shooting but they do make a "VLD Hunting" bullet. Even the hunting bullets are designed to shed 40%-85% of its weight and "turn into shrapnel" as quoted by Berger. Not a bullet for Bear and will most likely end up with bloodshot meat in deer. Gotta keep in mind that the bullet has to hold up to hitting bone without blowing apart.

The Swift A frame bullets are expensive but they are very tough and will retain the majority of their weight.

(Berks County)

Thank you all for your input. It kind of sounds like a 35 Whelen barrel for my Encore would be the better option. I was already considering that but wanted get some opinions about my 25-06. Thanks again.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    The 25-06 will get the job done if you put the bullet where it needs to be. I would suggest using a robustly constructed bonded bullet to help ensure good penetration, especially if you come across a larger bear. Like the Swift A-Frame 120gr. The 115gr Berger is designed to shed a lot of weight (40%-85%) and penetrate shallow. Not something that is desirable for bear or even deer really.
    Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    Nosler Accubonds and Partitions are good sturdy bullets with reliable expansion. Just another option.....
    Listen to these 2 outstanding gentlemen, they're giving you sound advice.

Just curious, how often do we see any #300 bears or bigger?
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast