Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Carry in New Orleans... Worth it?

I have to go to new Orleans for business next week for 2 days. I have been reading that "no gun signs" are not like in PA and other states. From what I read is a legal carrier could be prosecuted if simply carrying in these restaurants that have no gun signs. My concern is I go out with my customers to the places of their choosing. Is this true about new Orleans? Is it really that bad?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Hokkmike Guest

Default Re: Carry in New Orleans... Worth it?

I have been to NOLA MANY times. It is a delight of good music and great places to eat.

I have yet to see a "NO GUNS" sign posted on the any of the places I have eaten at.

(Juniata County)

LA in general and NO especially is a raging shithole of what happens when you elect liberals, and what happens when you follow a french justice system.

I would absolutely carry, and would not go without 1d4+2 friends who I trusted in a fight.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Tioga County)

New Orleans can be a rough place. I remember when I was younger and still living down south next to an army base that the German military based here banned their troops going to New Orleans after 3 of them got killed right there on the main party street over a 2 year period.

When I went there a few years ago on business my take was Katrina scrubbed away a lot of the riff raff, but I'd keep your eyes peeled and watch where you go as in that town you can be on one street that is OK and the next street over is a hell hole.

(Bucks County)

Thank you. I've been there about 12 times but it's been 4 years since last being there and I did not have my ltcf or FL ccw last time I was there. I know there's some real bad spots and we kept in groups of 6 or more also. We're directly across from the convention center on the river.

Back to the original question, are the "no gun" signs more of a nuisance or can one be convicted seriously for simply carrying into one of those places?

(Tioga County)

The way some states have been changing their gun laws you might want to check up on the laws.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Erie County)

http://www.compliancesigns.com/media...-Louisiana.pdf

Some states that allow CCW, with or without a required permit, have “opt out” laws that empower a private business to voluntarily create a “weapons free” zone by posting a “no concealed weapons allowed” sign on their premises. Louisiana law does not empower a business to create a “weapons free” zone by posting a sign, nor does it explicitly forbid the posting of such signs at businesses or facilities where CCW is forbidden.
    I would say, IANAL, that you would be asked to leave if recognized with a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Bucks County)

So I went to www.handgunlaw.us and this what I can provide to you:

"YES" you must inform officer upon contact.....

Places off limits:

A law enforcement office, station, or building;
     A detention facility, prison, or jail;
     A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;
     A polling place;
     A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;
     The state capitol building;
     Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law,
    except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the
    firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;
     Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship; See RS 40:1379.3 (U)
     A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity; (means be in the
    parade or part of the demonstration)
     Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.
    The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful
    custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

Do “No Gun Signs” Have the Force of Law?

“YES”

From the Louisiana DPS Concealed Handgun Unit Web Page.
    The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful
    custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit
    issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such
    concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

Here is the link to the Louisiana page i was using:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/louisiana.pdf

SGM

(Bucks County)

Thanks. I saw those sites and read through numerous threads where it seemed the property owner could press charges even if you leave politely and without altercation? It seems there's no clear indication of being similar to PA where they ask you to leave and that's the end of it. For example in Texas they have no gun signs which are like PA and hold the same lack of consequences if you cooperate. But they also have a 30:06 code/sign that the owner can press charges even if you cooperate and leave peacefully. It sounds as if LA and new Orleans have these crazy laws?

(Bucks County)

Also, that's a private residence law going into someone's home but not business. That's where it seems Unclear.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast