Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Conceal carrying in PA with Utah carry permit

So I saw on the website of this gun shop 911 Tacticle in Honesdale PA, they're offering Utah conceal carry permits for $200. It includes the course, application, fingerprinting, and a passport photo. This is the site http://3bsrange.com/
    , They claim this Utah carry permit is recognized by 30 states.
    Here is my situation, I have a home in PA that I stay at part time, I work in NYC and sometimes crash in NY after work. I was told I am considered a PA resident anytime I am staying at my PA home. I have a handgun and shotgun I keep at my PA home that doesn't leave PA. I cannot apply for a PA LTCF because according to the sheriff's website you must be a full time resident of Wayne county PA.
    My question is
    1, Should I pay 911 Tacticle the $200 and get the Utah carry permit? this way I can conceal carry in PA
    2, Would I need to put my PA address or NY address? I have a NY driver license with a NYC address, but I do have my PA property form mailed to my PA home and the deed for my PA home.
    3, What's your opinion about this?
    Last edited by Will3212; January 19th, 2016 at 12:57 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Conceal carrying in PA with Utah carry permit

Last I checked according to USA Carry a non resident utah permit would not allow you to carry in PA
    it would need to be a resident utah permit but if this information is incorrect please someone chime in.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html

(Delaware County)

A PA resident MUST have a PA LTCF to conceal. No other permits are acceptable if you are a resident. Period. Full stop.

*I think* a non-PA resident must have their home-state permit to get a PA LTCF. Someone chime in here, I'm heading to bed.

Utah also requires home-state permit to get UT non-res, but I believe that is only for states with which they have reciprocity. Since they do not have reciprocity with NY then a NY resident would NOT need a NY permit to get a UT. As a *New York* resident, you could be good to conceal in PA with a UT permit.

If you conceal under a UT permit as a NY resident then become (temporarily) a PA resident while staying in your PA residence (where your guns are, ironically) then you are probably asking for trouble.

To answer your question 3 - my opinion is that gun laws that do ANYTHING except punish people for committing crimes with guns are unconstitutional. But that's not what you're asking, and doesn't help you. To answer what you're asking: now that VA has killed their reciprocity, a UT permit is much cheaper than FL. It won't let you conceal in PA if you are a PA resident, but it opens up a lot of other carry options for you.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    A PA resident MUST have a PA LTCF to conceal. No other permits are acceptable if you are a resident. Period. Full stop.
    Correct, because of the ruling in the McKown case. The statutes appear to say otherwise, but the Superior Court basically said "forget what the law says, here's how it is."

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    *I think* a non-PA resident must have their home-state permit to get a PA LTCF. Someone chime in here, I'm heading to bed.
    Correct, according to the statute. (There are rumors of sheriffs who issue to out-of-staters who don't hold their states' permit, but if they do that they're doing so contrary to the Uniform Firearms Act.)
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Juniata County)

IF you are a citizen of the Commonwealth, you are not a person (see above two posts).

I would get the UT permit, because more states recognize it.

I would apply for an LTCF as a resident of PA.

IF I were you.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    So I saw on the website of this gun shop 911 Tacticle in Honesdale PA, they're offering Utah conceal carry permits for $200. It includes the course, application, fingerprinting, and a passport photo. This is the site http://3bsrange.com/
    , They claim this Utah carry permit is recognized by 30 states.
    Here is my situation, I have a home in PA that I stay at part time, I work in NYC and sometimes crash in NY after work. I was told I am considered a PA resident anytime I am staying at my PA home. I have a handgun and shotgun I keep at my PA home that doesn't leave PA. I cannot apply for a PA LTCF because according to the sheriff's website you must be a full time resident of Wayne county PA.
    My question is
    1, Should I pay 911 Tacticle the $200 and get the Utah carry permit? this way I can conceal carry in PA
    2, Would I need to put my PA address or NY address? I have a NY driver license with a NYC address, but I do have my PA property form mailed to my PA home and the deed for my PA home.
    Personally, I would work on making PA my residence. PA Drivers License, utility billings, tax billings, and spending most of your nights in PA out of the year and you are a PA resident.

Prior to doing that, the only thing a Utah permit would give you is carrying in your car so that you could open carry everywhere except those areas that are restricted, like Philly.
    Last edited by olderguy; January 19th, 2016 at 07:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    My question is
    Working in NYC is not the issue. You have an NY state DL. Also, do you file your taxes as a PA resident or NY resident, and where are you registered to vote?

(a) Resident defined. A resident is a person who resides, and who has manifested the intent to continue to reside in this Commonwealth or a former resident of this Commonwealth who meets the criteria in paragraph (2)(i) or (ii).

(1) Evidence of intent to continue to reside in this Commonwealth includes the following:

(i) Rent, lease or purchase of a property which the applicant has made a primary residence in this Commonwealth.

(ii) Payment of State and local taxes.

(iii) Registration of personal property, such as bank accounts, stocks, and bonds and automobiles within this Commonwealth.

(iv) Possession of a current Pennsylvania driver’s license.

(v) Current registration to vote in this Commonwealth.
    http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/00...r95/s95.2.html

I'm not sure, but you might be able to apply for a PA ID card without(?) surrendering your NY DL.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
    Prior to doing that, the only thing a Utah permit would give you is carrying in your car so that you could open carry everywhere except those areas that are restricted, like Philly.
    Actually, the court says a PA resident cannot car carry on a recognized permit from another state, either.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Butler County)

Having been a former subject of the Empire under Darth Cuomo and now a free resident of PA, here are the facts as I know them.

Opt #1

1. As a NYS Resident, specifically NYC, you will need an Unrestricted Pistol Permit for NYC. Good Luck there, head over to nyfirearms.com forums for more info on that mess of a process.
    2. Then you will need to take that the NYC/NYS Permit to the Wayne County Sheriff for your non-resident PA LTCF.
    3. The UT and AZ non-resident CCW are nice additions for traveling to the remaining free states nationwide.

Opt #2

1. Become a full-time resident of PA for tax and drivers licence purposes and remain working in the Empire.
    2. Obtain your LTCF from the Wayne County Sheriff
    3. The UT and AZ again are a nice to have for traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Actually, the court says a PA resident cannot car carry on a recognized permit from another state, either.
    Agreed, but until he establishes residency, it is a plus. And, as others have stated, it is nice to travel in other free states with the Utah.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast