Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: Conceal carrying in PA with Utah carry permit

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness 1864 View Post
    Apart from the firearms aspects, there are a number of factors to consider in a change of residency. For example, unlike NJ, to my knowledge Pennsylvania does not have reciprocal tax agreement with NY. So if you work in NYC and are a citizen of PA, you will pay income tax to both States and not get a credit against taxes due to NY for taxes paid to PA. As a PA resident, you may be able to get out of paying NYC tax as non-resident of NYC. Bottom line, check it out from a legal expert in PA and in NY and know how the change of residency impacts your tax situation. Others here pointed out that establishing residency involves more than just ownership of property in a particular state and offered some suggestions and had some good questions. Have a plan for proving your State of residency, whatever State that may be. You might wish to consider not saying much here about where you are registered to vote, where you currently file tax returns, and things like that.
    Regarding the lack of tax reciprocity between PA and NY, that is correct. However, a friend of mine and long time PA resident told me that while he worked in NY and lived in PA, he typically did not have to pay double taxes, so I would not automatically assume that would be the case; I was told that the "commuter taxes" previously imposed on those working in NYC and living elsewhere were found unconstitutional if that has any bearing on this. However, I'm not a legal expert, lawyer, or accountant either, but I'll be crossing that bridge myself this tax season.

Shortly after closing on my house, I obtained a PA driver's license, registered and titled my vehicles in PA, registered as a PA voter, and switched my all of my billing addresses to my new home to fully establish PA residence. I applied for my LTCF several months later. My only remaining ties to NY are my job and family members, but I live in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluto Blutarsky View Post
    . . . a friend of mine and long time PA resident told me that while he worked in NY and lived in PA, he typically did not have to pay double taxes, so I would not automatically assume that would be the case . . .
    I worked part of one year in Massachusetts, and there is no reciprocity agreement. It worked like this: I paid Mass. income tax on income earned working there. I calculated my tax liability to Pennsylvania on the Mass. income, but received a credit to tax paid on that income to Mass. Since Mass. tax was higher, I owed PA nothing on that income. I was also able to credit the difference against my township income tax, reducing it to near-zero.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    I worked part of one year in Massachusetts, and there is no reciprocity agreement. It worked like this: I paid Mass. income tax on income earned working there. I calculated my tax liability to Pennsylvania on the Mass. income, but received a credit to tax paid on that income to Mass. Since Mass. tax was higher, I owed PA nothing on that income. I was also able to credit the difference against my township income tax, reducing it to near-zero.
    That's exactly how my buddy explained it to me. With the tax rates in states like MA and NY, I'm under the impression I won't have to pay anything additional to PA, but I'll work that out with my tax preparer when the time comes. I didn't know that could also be applied to the township income tax too. Thanks for the tip.

(Wayne County)

good question, lets say they caught me conceal carrying in PA with a Utah carry permit and I show them my NY License. Will they say I'm a PA resident at that time or no.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    good question, lets say they caught me conceal carrying in PA with a Utah carry permit and I show them my NY License. Will they say I'm a PA resident at that time or no.
    Doesn't matter, Utah non-resident permit not recognized in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Doesn't matter, Utah non-resident permit not recognized in PA.

This^^^. Another thing you can thank our hopefully soon to be former AG for...

That's when ya shout, "Ever hear of the Constitution mutha fucka?"
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

As was posted, Utah non-res no good in PA.

get a New Hampshire non-resident permit. No longer need your home state permit to get it, and Kane couldn't stop it as it's a formal written agreement, unlike FLA, Utah, VA, etc.

$100, no pics, prints or training, just put down three references.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/n...ts/dssp260.pdf

(Susquehanna County)

My question is
    1, Should I pay 911 Tacticle the $200 and get the Utah carry permit? this way I can conceal carry in PA
    ***Up to you.. but that would not allow you to carry in PA.. Utah is only good for Utah residents as stated by a couple of others.

2, Would I need to put my PA address or NY address? I have a NY driver license with a NYC address, but I do have my PA property form mailed to my PA home and the deed for my PA home.
    ***With a NY Driver's license # and address you are a NY resident.

3, What's your opinion about this?
    With owning property in PA why not just apply for a PA non-resident??
    Or change your residence to PA and re-plate your vehicles.??
    You would still have to pay NY and NYC taxes.. but you take that credit when doing your PA taxes and pay no PA income tax.. I am a PA resident and work in NY
    Too bad you work in NYC because many counties of NY will issue a NY Pistol Permit if you are non-resident and work in NY.. I have one of them also
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Delaware County)

Very interesting discussion back and forth. I fear the narrative may be different in a year or so with the new anti gun lapdogs we have as an AG.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast