Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Cabela's Purchase

Sure, but from there it is hell!! It's the background check sinkhole!!Store could be empty and you still wait 2 hours!!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    WTF are they thinking?
    I've gotten far better off here then the one there. It was nothing special.
    $250-275 tops.

Fuck the EE bonds I had. I should of cleaned out Roses and Laneco back in the 80-90's when they were $50.
    Holy shit is right.
    I bought my Ishy Smelly on Gunbroker for $315. Couple years before that I bought another for $175 in NY. They were both in very good condition. Just needed polish and stain.

Isn't there a Cabela's near Wheeling, WV?
    That's only like an hour from Pgh. Pennsylvanians are allowed to buy guns in neighboring states and bring them home, I believe.

(Lackawanna County)

Was in Cabelas Saturday, stopped in because we were in the area and I had 5 gift cards on me.

I've done the 3-hours-for-a-gun thing there before, and I have no desire to do it again. But I wanted a scope with my gift money, and lo and behold, you need a ticket at the gun counter to look at scopes

I think they were serving # 16 when I got there, and I pulled a ticket and -it was # 21! No more than 5 minutes later I was being helped-- at the gun counter-- on a Saturday about 1pm. I'm still shocked. Way faster than the last time I was there; I have no knowledge if theyve changed their crappy way of doing 4473s and PICS checks, but at least I wasn't waiting 1-2 hours just to be helped.

BTW they still haven't changed their customary rudeness and poor knowledge, as I witnessed with another customer there. I know some people don't like change
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DrillNFill View Post
    Was in Cabelas Saturday, stopped in because we were in the area and I had 5 gift cards on me.

I've done the 3-hours-for-a-gun thing there before, and I have no desire to do it again. But I wanted a scope with my gift money, and lo and behold, you need a ticket at the gun counter to look at scopes

I think they were serving # 16 when I got there, and I pulled a ticket and -it was # 21! No more than 5 minutes later I was being helped-- at the gun counter-- on a Saturday about 1pm. I'm still shocked. Way faster than the last time I was there; I have no knowledge if theyve changed their crappy way of doing 4473s and PICS checks, but at least I wasn't waiting 1-2 hours just to be helped.

BTW they still haven't changed their customary rudeness and poor knowledge, as I witnessed with another customer there. I know some people don't like change
    I bought a stripped lower there in January. Guy told me if I made a pistol with it, I'd have to register it with the state.

(Mifflin County)

Cabelas , what a bunch of lying pricks . This is the second time I got scammed , there wont be a third. Two days ago on gundeals the had a Ruger American .270 listed on sale for $ 249.99 on sale with free shipping to the store . I called and ordered a gun on the phone . The CSR assured me they were in stock (did this to me 2 years ago as well ) So I ordered it an well as a camo range bag ( CSR keep telling me about Accessories also on sale ). Well guess what ,the next day I logged in to their Website to find out that my rifle was "cancelled ". , all the other items shipped . So I call them again and am told " We are sorry but this item is no longer available " . I asked why . I said I will wait give me a raincheck . No says CSR , we don't do rainchecks. Total lying Aholes !!

They also discontinued selling bumpfire stocks.

I'm thinking I'll buy my meat grinder elsewhere.

(Montgomery County)

I can confirm Cabela's process for buying a firearm is still loooong. Probably 1.5 hours. I think it's funny that a place like Tanner's has half the staff and gets you helped in under 5 minutes and checked out in usually under 10.

I believe Cabela's takes awhile because of corporate ass covering and also to allow time for you to walk around and spend more money. The animal display is truly amazing though. I've never taken that much time to look at them.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    I recently (12/31-1/3) purchased a new pistol from Cabela's. I normally wouldn't have because the nearest in-state location is Hamburg and is a good haul from Pittsburgh, but we were passing through and I had a rather large gift card for them. So I stopped in. I will never shop there again. I don't like 6 hours of waiting for a firearm.
    The good:
    • They price matched a competitor's ad without issue.
    • The staff were very knowledgeable and friendly.
    • Selection was good.

The bad:
    • It took nearly 3 hours to get to the point where I could talk to a salesman. When I finally got to the case and said. I want to buy that one the manager said that there will be no more sales today since they close in two hours everything would be layaway. That meant a return trip. Fortunately I was already planning on coming back but it took another 45 minutes to put it on layaway.
    • It took nearly 3 hours to pick up the gun. 1/2 hour for the paperwork to start, 2 hours for background check, 45 minutes to pay for it. I asked if this is normal and apparently it is. I can't say since I will never shop there again.
    • The prices are higher than competitors.
    It must've been around Christmas or some other really busy time when you were there. I've bought and have had guns transferred to me many times at the Cabela's in Hamburg and overall I am quite pleased with their service but that's just me. I've bought guns from them around Christmas and I've had to wait 2 or 3 hours but never 6 hours although I've heard stories from other shoppers there of waiting that long. That's how long the wait is during the really busy times and right before Christmas would obviously be one of those busy times. Some customers, when shopping during busy times and waiting for their background check and paperwork to be complete will leave the store and go and do other stuff. If you give them your mobile phone number they will call you once your background check and paperwork is complete so you can leave the store if you expect it to take a long time. Now they're handing out coaster pagers like they do in restaurants when you have to wait for a table, the coaster pager's range I don't think extends outside the store but Im sure if you asked them to, they would call you on your phone instead. From my experience its only the really busy times such as during the holidays when you've got to wait for a long time. I've had gun transfers take less than ten minutes at Cabela's during the times when they're not so busy.

You are right that they do price gouge on guns. For that reason I rarely if ever buy guns from Cabela's anymore since lots of gun shops will sell them at lower prices. Cabala's will sometimes give you really good prices for some of their merchandise but usually guns aren't among those. I used to buy guns more often at Cabela's but as you point out, they're pricey and so now I usually use websites such as gunauction.com to buy guns where you can get the same gun for a much lower price than you would not only at Cabela's but at most gun shops. Or, if its a special gun that you ordinarily wouldn't find at a gun shop such as a Wilson Combat or a Coonan, I will call the company up directly and order it from them.

All that being said, Cabela's might not be the best place to buy guns at since they can be overpriced but they're excellent for doing transfers. So when I do buy guns off websites or when I call the company up and order a particular gun directly from them, I will pick the guns up at Cabela's since they only charge a $25 transfer fee which is lower than most gun shops.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    But the Joizy people are not buying guns.
    Some of them are. If you've got a NJ Firearms ID card you can buy long guns in PA. I've seen NJ residents buy long guns at Cabela's.

(Berks County)

I've gone at 10 in the morning on a Tuesday and waited 3 hours so it is not always how busy they are, their system just sucks.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast