Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Cabela's Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    But they are gumming up the works.
    They are just in the way hunh?

(Berks County)

Yes they are ha ha! Can never get to that counter, I don't bother.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Yes they are ha ha! Can never get to that counter, I don't bother.
    That's how it is at some gun shows I have been to...throngs of people who stand in the way and drool over guns that they know damned well they are not going to purchase.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    It's the draw of the store. People go there because it's like an amusement park. It's big, it has a huge inventory, it's easy to get to.

I will give them props for the inventory. I go for the reloading supplies which usually are cheaper than any of my local shops.
    That's the thing, if you want something from a known brand and want it right now, then you can go there and pay a premium and get it. They've got a pistol inventory and selection that is probably 50 times the size of my local shop.

Much of the stuff in there is priced high retail but there are always a few bargains to be found. You can find a few gems in their used gun gallery from time to time.

I think also the place is oriented more towards the casual buyer. A lot of us on this forum, guns are a main hobby for us so we exchange information about great deals and shop aggressively for good stuff. Many people are not that into it so Cabela's is like the bread and circuses type gun shop complete with phony stream and stuffed animals and they just pay whatever to get what they want on the day.

I like Cabela's a lot. I have gotten some bargains on ammo and reloading stuff and recently got some nice shirts I'm happy with and also an outdoor deep fryer that is the bomb.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    That's the thing, if you want something from a known brand and want it right now, then you can go there and pay a premium and get it. They've got a pistol inventory and selection that is probably 50 times the size of my local shop.
    I've been to the Hamburg store several times, mostly for reloading supplies. I purchased one firearm there, a revolver. They weren't busy, and it took about 90 mins.

Their handgun inventory is NOT as extensive as that at either Grice or Tanners.

Six hours to complete a handgun purchase is ridiculous. One could just about drive from Hamburg to Clearfield, buy what they want for less $$$ at Grice, and drive back to Hamburg before some schlub staying at Cabelas completes his purchase.

Someone above nailed it. Cabelas is a "destination" store, an entertainment opportunity. But who today, in the 21st century, has HOURS to waste on a firearm purchase? Cabelas is struggling financially, and IMO it's pretty obvious what some of their trouble it.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Bucks County)

I too have purchased a few things there and can confirm everyone's experience. What is the reason it takes so long? They really don't seem understaffed.

I've been there several times over the years. I do find Cabelas a fun store to visit. I've seen the process you have to go through to buy a gun. Not for me. Luckily there are plenty of other things to go to Cabela's for.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I've been to the Hamburg store several times, mostly for reloading supplies. I purchased one firearm there, a revolver. They weren't busy, and it took about 90 mins.
    Can you break down, if you were privy to the pieces of the process, how that went in terms of time on a given activity? I know you've done this enough to know how it should go, and that's why I ask.

Because 90 minutes for an unrushed purchase is batshit insane.

When I pick stuff up from my FFL (GRoPA), it's 15 minutes and roughly half that is shooting the shit with Todd and carefully reading the paperwork (because even after dozens of times, I don't want to mess that up--and neither does he). In the absence of a mammoth PICS delay, I just can't see 90 minutes to process a purchase. Now, he's got stuff squared away before I show up, but still....

Before it folded, I once bought multiple handguns at once, thus triggering a ton of stupid, at Sportsmen's Warehouse on Mt. Nebo road north of Pgh. That entire transaction took perhaps 30 minutes, mostly because the clerk I had knew nothing about how to sell more than 1 handgun at a crack.

I value my downtime at about $150/hr (which is roughly half my work "list" rate). 90 minutes is a lot of ammo. 6 hours is a fair to middling gun. No way, in this lifetime or the next.

Strike 1; Their prices are high.

Strike 2; Their ''bargain cave'' is no bargain.

Strike 3; They would not accept a copy of my C&R FFL for an 1895 Russian Nagant revolver.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast